WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,036 of 2,600
For everyone that is thinking of getting the WA7, the EH upgrade tubes are on backorder. Mr. woo told me that it will be around April when they receive them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,038 of 2,600
question is where is he getting them from?  Unless they are re-running a batch at the Sovtek factory in Russia they are out of production and out of stock everywhere I looked and I looked pretty hard.  The only difference between the EH and the still in production Sovteks is the pins are gold plated though.  This was told to me by the guy in the factory who actually makes them, believe it if you will.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,039 of 2,600
Don't get me wrong it still sounds great , and I've only had it running for about 4 hours. But I would like to get ever once of audiophile goodness out of it! 

@groovyd I have no idea where he is getting them, Someone posted earlier in this thread that there is a good alternative. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,040 of 2,600

L3000.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,042 of 2,600
  nice setup Suprbly, sure you are going get some love out of the WA7 once you get the tubes burned in good.  Just order more Sovteks or better yet some NOS cryos.

Whats the web site for the NOS cyros?

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #1,043 of 2,600
  Whats the web site for the NOS cyros?

http://tubeman.com/item452.htm

dont forget to asked for a matched pair.

i will say that after giving them a good amount of the time then going back to the EH, i think i prefer the EH. the clarity is hard to beat.

the cryo is good for a very smooth listen but the EH is more dynamic.

if anyone wants to buy my cryos off me shoot me an offer. they were around $85 shipped.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #1,044 of 2,600
I consider to buy upgrade tube. But I already enjoy the silky smooth sound from WA7 with my Audio Technica woodies.

If I change to upgrade tube, will it still have smooth and lush sound? Or it will sound more detail and clarity like high end audiophile gear?

Please kindly give me some recommendation

Thanks

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #1,045 of 2,600
I have run my WA7 on the EH , Sovtek and Reflektor tubes currently running 1978 Reflektor
Although I have noticed some differences in the character of new tubes once the tubes have settled I can no longer detect a difference

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #1,046 of 2,600
Any ideas on current delivery times? How long did it take people to get their wa7s recently?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,047 of 2,600
@smellyfungus Would you say the cryos are better than the stock tubes?

@Crashem I got mine in about 2 weeks.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,048 of 2,600
  @smellyfungus Would you say the cryos are better than the stock tubes?

@Crashem I got mine in about 2 weeks.

I think it really depends on what you pair it with. If I were being simple about it EH>Cryos>>Stock but I only have one headphone to compare.

Cryos are in between the EH and stock in terms of clarity/detail vs smoothness. Bass is controlled best with the EH, stock is boomy for me, and cryos in between.

So yeah the sig of yours cans and the sound you're looking for would decide what's best.

The change between stock to cryo isn't as big as either to the EH though.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,049 of 2,600
I got my WA7 today, with the EH tubes (I bought it used).  It's certainly a beautiful, well-constructed device.

I came into this a skeptic with respect to the tube vs. solid state issue, and I'm also a newbie when it comes to the high-end headphone hobby, so take this with a grain of salt...

I currently have both the WA7 and my Schiit Asgard 2 set up side by side, and I've been switching back and forth using my Sennheiser HD800s.  I don't think I can tell a definite difference between the two amps.  Maybe I can try to talk myself into thinking the WA7 is a tad less harsh with sibilant songs, but if it's really any different, it's subtle.  The WA7 certainly sounds great in absolute terms, but I'm just not sure it's *better.*

Obviously, I need to give this more time before drawing any real conclusions.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,050 of 2,600
I got my WA7 today, with the EH tubes (I bought it used).  It's certainly a beautiful, well-constructed device.

I came into this a skeptic with respect to the tube vs. solid state issue, and I'm also a newbie when it comes to the high-end headphone hobby, so take this with a grain of salt...

I currently have both the WA7 and my Schiit Asgard 2 set up side by side, and I've been switching back and forth using my Sennheiser HD800s.  I don't think I can tell a definite difference between the two amps.  Maybe I can try to talk myself into thinking the WA7 is a tad less harsh with sibilant songs, but if it's really any different, it's subtle.  The WA7 certainly sounds great in absolute terms, but I'm just not sure it's *better.*

Obviously, I need to give this more time before drawing any real conclusions.

Congrats! WA7 is a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back