WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,006 of 2,601
  Today I'm sudden noticed the right side is louder. To determine the problem was HE-500 or WA7, I have tested with Icon HDP and used the USB mode of WA7 ==> the problem is WA7 
angry_face.gif

I also try to test with some IEMs, the problem present with IEM slightly less than full can.

Have anyone experience this issue with WA7 or other amp? Is it normal or I should return for warranty?

Current I have to change the soundcard balance setting to 100 for the Left and 80 for the Right

Thanks

It's not normal.
Once the tubes have cool down, do switch the tubes and check whether the left side now become louder or still the right side louder.
If the left side now louder, could be one of your tube is failing.

If still the right side louder, maybe send them back for warranty purpose if your still can't trouble-shoot the problem

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,008 of 2,601
same thing happened to me about 2 months after buying the WA7 turns out the EH tube went bad.  no warrantee by Woo so I went a little nuts and bought out as many other tubes as I could find to hopefully last me forever.  stock up since this tube type is end of life.  it is actually a very special tube and the history and properties of it are impressive.  very difficult to make apparently with low yield.  i think the more recent productions of it were of very low quality.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,009 of 2,601
  same thing happened to me about 2 months after buying the WA7 turns out the EH tube went bad.  no warrantee by Woo so I went a little nuts and bought out as many other tubes as I could find to hopefully last me forever.  stock up since this tube type is end of life.  it is actually a very special tube and the history and properties of it are impressive.  very difficult to make apparently with low yield.  i think the more recent productions of it were of very low quality.

That's a bummer...
The only place that I know that is still selling the EH tubes is Woo Audio.
Other 6c45 tubes that I can find online are either the NOS Reflector or cryo-treated Reflector which cost a bomb.
Even the stock Sovtek are also getting difficult to find online.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,010 of 2,601

That's a bummer...
The only place that I know that is still selling the EH tubes is Woo Audio.
Other 6c45 tubes that I can find online are either the NOS Reflector or cryo-treated Reflector which cost a bomb.
Even the stock Sovtek are also getting difficult to find online.

I got a pair of the cryo-treated Reflektors from tubeman.com for $80, which is cheaper than getting EH from Woo. They sell them individually but if you ask in the order they can match them at no extra charge. 

Regarding the channel imbalance discussed earlier: looks like the unit is faulty, but there's a few more tests to do:
- What if you use the WA7 as amp only? 
- Use the WA7 DAC output to another amp 
- Try flicking the input selector switch a few times
- Check if it happens on both low and high gain

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,011 of 2,601
I email woo audio regarding the upgraded power supply as I have been interested in buying the WA7, and received the following response from Jack.

The new PSU is delayed. It may be available in late March.

Thanks,
Jack

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,012 of 2,601
I email woo audio regarding the upgraded power supply as I have been interested in buying the WA7, and received the following response from Jack.

Thanks,
Jack

Although I've heard the upgrade price is $300 for the new PSU, I haven't heard what the difference in price would be to buy the WA7 now and upgrade later vs waiting for the PSU to be released. Perhaps it might be worth it to just jump in now rather than wait. Perhaps in the end it would amount to the same cost and you're waiting needlessly?

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,013 of 2,601

Thanks,
Jack

Pity. Though I can't say I find the WA7 to be lacking as-is. Still, I'm looking forward to the new PSU. My wallet probably doesn't mind a break.

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,014 of 2,601

I got a pair of the cryo-treated Reflektors from tubeman.com for $80, which is cheaper than getting EH from Woo. They sell them individually but if you ask in the order they can match them at no extra charge. 

Regarding the channel imbalance discussed earlier: looks like the unit is faulty, but there's a few more tests to do:
- What if you use the WA7 as amp only? 
- Use the WA7 DAC output to another amp 
- Try flicking the input selector switch a few times
- Check if it happens on both low and high gain

I did try these tests but no luck 
mad.gif

Thanks

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,015 of 2,601
  Today I'm sudden noticed the right side is louder. To determine the problem was HE-500 or WA7, I have tested with Icon HDP and used the USB mode of WA7 ==> the problem is WA7 
angry_face.gif

I did swap the tubes to see if the left will louder because my WA7 have one tube brigher than other ==> same result, the right side still louder.

I also try to test with some IEMs, the problem present with IEM slightly less than full can.

Have anyone experience this issue with WA7 or other amp? Is it normal or I should return for warranty?

Current I have to change the soundcard balance setting to 100 for the Left and 80 for the Right

Thanks

I'v returned my WA7 to the shop this morning for checkup, surprisedly, the sound is balanced
confused_face.gif
. But when I came home, the sound went to imbalance again 
confused_face_2.gif

I suspect the power cable may be the problem? so I swap with the Icon HDP cable ==> still have the problem.
confused.gif

Is it possible other interference? What should I do now?
frown.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,016 of 2,601

I'v returned my WA7 to the shop this morning for checkup, surprisedly, the sound is balanced
confused_face.gif
. But when I came home, the sound went to imbalance again 
confused_face_2.gif

I suspect the power cable may be the problem? so I swap with the Icon HDP cable ==> still have the problem.
confused.gif

Is it possible other interference? What should I do now?
frown.gif

Can you try another source of signal? Looks like this could be your problem.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,019 of 2,601
Are the Western Electric WE-437A usable as well?  If so, has anyone tried them.  One of the tube retailers said that Sovtek 6C45PI was the same as the WE-437A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back