WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Dec 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #811 of 2,601
Code:
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)] "There are no more stocks of the 6C45Pi EH Gold Pin available. There should not be a difference in the sound signature. The Sovtek 6C45Pi has the same specifications as the gold pin version. The EH Gold Pin version are actually Sovtek 6C45Pi that had the pins gold plated."[/color]

That is the email I got from the maker of EH and Sovtek tubes in Russia.  Take it for what it is worth but if anyone knows the difference should be him.  Apparently the two tubes are identical except the pins are plated expecting no difference in sound signature.  Placebo effect?  Anyway I ordered 6 backup pairs of the EH from Woo just incase as I have scoured every resource I could find to hoard the EH tubes for my own future listening pleasure. Having that tube failure opened my eyes to what might happen if I don't hoard them. Seems Woo is the only one who has them left in the world perhaps.  Was this by accident? :wink:

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #812 of 2,601

Code:
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)] "There are no more stocks of the 6C45Pi EH Gold Pin available. There should not be a difference in the sound signature. The Sovtek 6C45Pi has the same specifications as the gold pin version. The EH Gold Pin version are actually Sovtek 6C45Pi that had the pins gold plated."[/color]

That is the email I got from the maker of EH and Sovtek tubes in Russia.  Take it for what it is worth but if anyone knows the difference should be him.  Apparently the two tubes are identical except the pins are plated expecting no difference in sound signature.  Placebo effect?  Anyway I ordered 6 backup pairs of the EH from Woo just incase as I have scoured every resource I could find to hoard the EH tubes for my own future listening pleasure. Having that tube failure opened my eyes to what might happen if I don't hoard them. Seems Woo is the only one who has them left in the world perhaps.  Was this by accident? :wink:

It would be interesting to send that email to Jack at Woo Audio and ask him for his comments. If you do, please post his response here :wink:

How would one go about testing this, anyway? Is there some piece of equipment that can test the stock vs. gold pin tubes and see a measured difference?

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #813 of 2,601
Well fellow WA7'ers. I am of the club no more.  My HD800 were just asking for more.
Anyway, sold my WA7 today and delivered it to the buyer's home and set it up.  Had a chance to listen to it with the AT-1000's and the HE500 and both sounded fabulous!  If I had a lesser headphone, it probably would have been a keeper. I will probably join the Woo club again sometime in 2014 (WA2 or WA22) 
You haven't lost a happy WA7'er, just transferred to someone else :)
Happy Listening! M

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #814 of 2,601
i am sure you wish that the HD800 were more derivable like most of the Tier 1 headphones :p  GL with finding the right amp for the HD800 , this always been a hard task.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #816 of 2,601
  Well fellow WA7'ers. I am of the club no more.  My HD800 were just asking for more.
Anyway, sold my WA7 today and delivered it to the buyer's home and set it up.  Had a chance to listen to it with the AT-1000's and the HE500 and both sounded fabulous!  If I had a lesser headphone, it probably would have been a keeper. I will probably join the Woo club again sometime in 2014 (WA2 or WA22) 
Happy Listening! M

May I know what amp are you pairing with the HD800 now?
I just got the Pan Am, and with my HD800, it sounded smoother without the treble peak and pronounced simbliance with the WA7, though there is some lost in soundstage and airiness, I find that I can listen longer... 

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #817 of 2,601
I got something very different for HeadFi.. the Naim DAC-V1. It's in Jude's Holiday Gift Guide in the desktop DAC and Amplifiers section. 
It has a decent HP amplifier in it though the DAC is killer.  It's silky smooth, lots of body, vocals to die for, superb tight low bass that's in balance with the rest of the spectrum, detail galore and a great soundstage.  My regular listening level is in the 50-60 range (out of 100) and it certainly rocks in the 70's. It's an end-game DAC for me.  So far, I find absolutely nothing lacking.. it's a very compelling listen and really hard to walk away from. I'll give it a while before I decide even if I need a dedicated amplifier.

Quote:
  May I know what amp are you pairing with the HD800 now?

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #818 of 2,601

The NAIM from what I hear is a nice DAC but it doesn't do native DSD so it was a non-starter for me (I have over 1000 SACD albums ripped to native DSD format).

The Exasound e20 MkIII was a perfect fit for me.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #819 of 2,601
too bad that we can only use WA7 8 hours max  a day :< i might buy a pico slim to enjoy my UM Miracle later, 60 hour long, nice treble but sadly the mids are behind the bass/treble, in case the mids on it are better than the uha6mkii then i am lucky :3 

M-Stage sucks with volume controlling even on 0db...

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #820 of 2,601
Hey guys, if you want to use ASIO output from Foobar, you only need the ASIO plugin for Foobar right? Since the WA7 DAC actually supports ASIO, there is no need to download the ASIO4ALL driver and use that with Foobar, correct?

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #821 of 2,601
Happy Listening! M

I'm looking to upgrade as well.. looking at the WA22 too!

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #823 of 2,601
i feel like the EH golden tubes have a smaller soundstage than the stock tubes, why? using it with UM Miracle which got a nice stage that usually being compared to the HD800's soundstage.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #824 of 2,601
Ordered a iFi iUSB power supply today. Will see if I notice a difference using it with the WA7's USB DAC.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #825 of 2,601
i ordered a Gemini Cable for the iUSB :3 i wana see a further changes again xD, human is sure greedy ha? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back