Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #961 of 1,117

Need some extra tubes? LOL

I thought about doing the same especially with some nicely priced WA7 in classified. I decided to get a Schiit Mjolnir 2 instead for my home amp. My WA7 will be heading to my office. I find myself listening more at work lately. Now I have a full balanced at home and full SE at my office. I also thought about a WA22, but it won't fit in my home setup.

I have a box of about 60 spare new tubes for both units.  I got a little mad when I realized the gold pins 6c45s or whatever they are were no longer in production.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #962 of 1,117
Update on my WA7 and TP

I recently got the Bifrost Multibit DAC for my office had it connected to a Little Dot MKIII amp and it was a nice combo. However curiosity got the best of me and I tried the Bifrost with the WA7 and strangely enough that combo sounds better than when I had the WA7 paired with my Gungnir Multibit. Bifrost and WA7 has a more lush and deep mid than with Gungir. After reading up on some Gungnir impressions it seems that some folks feel the SE output of Gungnir is a bit thin compared to balanced out. Since Bifrost is only SE and hearing the difference I am now in the same camp.

My recommendation for the WA7 and R2R DAC would be Bifrost and not Gungnir. The fact that Bifrost Multibit can be had for $600 USD makes it a great add on and upgrade to the WA7.

One more interesting note - I tried my JH16 FP with this new combo and it is awesome! Just needed to add 1.5 dB boost to 8K and 16K EQ to get it just to my liking. Still using the Siemens silver plates so will try the RCA clear tops to see how the pairing sounds.

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #963 of 1,117
Hi everyone, just want to say I'm still enjoying the Hytrons in my WA7TP (much thanks to JebListens for urging me to try 'em). The SQ with these tubes is jaw-dropping at times with all my favorite headphones(TH900, T1 & Grados). One of these days I'll roll the Mullards back in but these are my top choice with the WA7!!!

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #964 of 1,117
  Would you guys recommend the WA7 for the LCD-3's? I recently purchased a pair at a great cost, so as this came unexpected I'm now looking for a decent amp/dac at this price range.

Yes, pairs very well with LCD3.

Quote:

I have a box of about 60 spare new tubes for both units.  I got a little mad when I realized the gold pins 6c45s or whatever they are were no longer in production.

We have Electro Harmonix 6C45 Gold-pin in stock.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html

Quote:
  Hi everyone, just want to say I'm still enjoying the Hytrons in my WA7TP (much thanks to JebListens for urging me to try 'em). The SQ with these tubes is jaw-dropping at times with all my favorite headphones(TH900, T1 & Grados). One of these days I'll roll the Mullards back in but these are my top choice with the WA7!!!

Your collection of headphones pairs well. We would love to see a couple of pics.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #965 of 1,117
Guys, I have a question about the WA7tp and WA7 tube rolling: It seems that there's a lot of talk about tube rolling on the Wa7tp, but not so much on the WA7. I own both amps and got the Electro Harmonix upgrade from Woo for both and also a set of RCA clear tops that were recommended by a member here.

My question is: The WA7tp is a power supply. Now, I've never built a tube amp (only radio stations), but wouldn't a different tube have a larger impact on sound if you were to swap it on the WA7? I mean the WA7tp only provides power, isn't that right?

Thanks for shining some light and I apologize if this a trivial question.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #966 of 1,117
Problem is there aren't many variants for the WA7 tube.  Interesting and almost counter intuive is though that the WA7tp tube swap does have a significant effect on sound.  It provides a much more stable supply of power and possibly at a slightly different voltage which may shift the gain curves of the WA7. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #967 of 1,117
That's the reason I sold my wa7/tp not too many choices available with tube rolling, best sound for the money would be the mullard cv4003's  I will say that amp sounded really nice..

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #968 of 1,117
That's the reason I sold my wa7/tp not too many choices available with tube rolling, best sound for the money would be the mullard cv4003's  I will say that amp sounded really nice..

You sold because they didn't have much tube rolling options? I think I would sell mine only if I didn't enjoy the sound of it, not because I didn't have many options for tube rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #969 of 1,117
that was only one of the reasons I sold that amp, the wa22 give me a lot more depth & smoothness, power then the wa7/tp has to offer, I also use my wa22 to drive a set of powered speakers. The vast options in rolling is a very nice bonus with the wa22 and one I really enjoy..

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #970 of 1,117
Yeah If 
  that was only one of the reasons I sold that amp, the wa22 give me a lot more depth & smoothness, power then the wa7/tp has to offer, I also use my wa22 to drive a set of powered speakers. The vast options in rolling is a very nice bonus with the wa22 and one I really enjoy..

Yeah If I upgrade to the tp it will cost the same as getting a wa22. I'm wondering if I have other choices that are better suited for the LCD3...

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #971 of 1,117
Nov 5, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #973 of 1,117
move up to a wa22 I couldn't be happier this amp is absolutely great sounding and you will never be at a loss for power..

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #975 of 1,117
I would definitely go with a balanced dac, the wa22 was originally designed to sound it's best with a balanced input, you don't have to go that way, but the amps designer Jack Woo highly recommends using a  balanced dac with this amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back