Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 1,117
PSU uses 12AUs so any direct replacement should work , 5814A i know work for sure because i had a chance to try Jan Sylvania ones and they improved bass depth and extension

I am a witness to this...tube rolling. .

With the oppo pm-1 on hand,
The difference of tube roll was not small or just different. .

I have to say it was jaw - dropping(!)
I had a hard time believing that rolling tubes or even using them at all in a PSU could make a difference,
But it made the woo sound like an ultimate amp.
Dynamics with such low end oomph!
Monstrous is a good analogy.
Made me wish the PSU came with those tubes.

But how the heck did member "olegausany" know? (!)

Edit:
And how the heck did the woo guys know to use tubes?!
:)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 1,117
Apr 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #19 of 1,117
Apr 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 1,117
Wasn't he at the NY meet?

Yes it happened there but he seemed sure before hand it would be better with his tubes.

I had no idea how tube rolling will affect the since it's power supply not amp itself. The only other reason i brought those cause they were matched pair while others i have are single tube

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 1,117
For your information this amp uses 12AU7 tubes so this what is important since tube rolling is possible and will make difference in sound since tubes act as rectifier. You will need buy them in matched pairs

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 1,117
For your information this amp uses 12AU7 tubes so this what is important since tube rolling is possible and will make difference in sound since tubes act as rectifier. You will need buy them in matched pairs

Excellent. Good to know. Here's a rough sketch of the intuitions driving my last question. Suppose -- and this seems to be the case -- that the general consensus is that the WA6-SE>WA6. And this registers as, in part, a difference in their specs (e.g. frequency response). Now, suppose again -- and I'm not sure if this is the case -- that the WA7>WA6. Then, it would stand to reason (by analogy) that the WA7tp>WA6-SE. Essentially, what I want to know is -- and what, perhaps, people don't yet know -- how the WA6-SE and the WA7tp stack against each other. I currently own the plain ol' WA6 with the (Sophia Princess and 6GL7 upgrades) and am looking to transition to the next level.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #26 of 1,117
  Excellent. Good to know. Here's a rough sketch of the intuitions driving my last question. Suppose -- and this seems to be the case -- that the general consensus is that the WA6-SE>WA6. And this registers as, in part, a difference in their specs (e.g. frequency response). Now, suppose again -- and I'm not sure if this is the case -- that the WA7>WA6. Then, it would stand to reason (by analogy) that the WA7tp>WA6-SE. Essentially, what I want to know is -- and what, perhaps, people don't yet know -- how the WA6-SE and the WA7tp stack against each other. I currently own the plain ol' WA6 with the (Sophia Princess and 6GL7 upgrades) and am looking to transition to the next level.

I should also note, although it may speak for itself, that I can use the Sophia Princess and 6GL7s on the WA6-SE. So essentially I would already have an upgraded version of the WA6-SE, if I purchased it, whereas I wouldn't have an upgraded WA7tp upon purchase. But I can see I'm beginning to think out type.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #27 of 1,117
Once again WA7tp is power supply which replaces stock power supply included with amp. If you own WA6 you don't need WA7tp. Your way of upgrade should be WA5 or WA2 or WA22. I only heard WA6SE only once at the meet so can't comment it's worth to upgrade to it from WA6

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #28 of 1,117
How do the power switches work?

Is it now 2 power switches that you have to switch on? 

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #29 of 1,117
How do the power switches work?

Is it now 2 power switches that you have to switch on? 

I asked on the preorder thread but it wasn't confirmed yet if you can just leave the wa7 and power only by the wa7tp. the power button for the tp is the volume knob look a like which you push in.

I'm sure someone can answer soon since some preorders are on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back