Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Oct 12, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #196 of 462
6C00D6CD-42BC-42C6-AC5A-7EBB8333123A.jpeg
A bit late to the party… better late than never, these finally arrived after a long wait. I have only the stock tubes, but already enjoying. First tube amp.
Don't worry they won't be replaced by new models for a long time.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #198 of 462
Congratulations! I wish I would have gotten the silver instead of the black.

How are you liking your WA5?
I’m enjoying already. This unit is an LE, with standard internal components and stock tubes. I’m coming off an entire year listening exclusively on Benchmark gear (DAC/AMP), which I love, but this is an entirely different experience, sonically.

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #199 of 462
I’m going to put up EML 300B, KR Audio 274B(regular) and maybe EML 274B mesh in the classifieds.

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #200 of 462
Hey everyone, I was contemplating between the WA22 and the WA5-LE to pair with my ZMF Verite Closed. I might get a TOTL planar headphone in the future as well. Is the WA5-LE a significant improvement over the WA22? And any reason to keep the stock tubes on either one?

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #201 of 462
Hey everyone, I was contemplating between the WA22 and the WA5-LE to pair with my ZMF Verite Closed. I might get a TOTL planar headphone in the future as well. Is the WA5-LE a significant improvement over the WA22? And any reason to keep the stock tubes on either one?
I had the 22 and upgraded to the 5LE to my ears it was a well worth upgrade in that you have more power for hard to drive headphones. And more Options for tube rolling.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #202 of 462
I'd get WA5 Le remember never turn the power level knob with headphones plugged in. It's in manual but they should tag that switch for people who don't read manuals

The 22 isn't going to do much in it's price range. I personally don't like balanced tube amps. Loosing harmonics isn't worth better separation. Plus if you want more headphone options is another reason. It's built amazingly cast metal vs other brand using stamped metal. My WA5 Le powers all my headphones. Background noise seems good. Nothing noticable on TH900 and Elite. Maybe super low impedance with high sensitivity you would pick up hiss.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #203 of 462
Really enjoying the WA5-LE with my ZMF VC and 1266 TC. I can’t speak to the comparison with WA22. The Sophia Mesh tubes and RCA 5692s were worthwhile upgrades. I don’t expect to return to the stock tubes.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #207 of 462
Oct 28, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #209 of 462
You also stuck with the standard version vs. the premium?
Yes, standard version. I'm not a believer in fancy capacitor upgrades. I haven't been able to tell enough difference in the past to make it worth the money/effort. But I can tell you that the tubes you use in Woo amps make a huge difference, so that's where my money is spent.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #210 of 462
Yes, standard version. I'm not a believer in fancy capacitor upgrades. I haven't been able to tell enough difference in the past to make it worth the money/effort. But I can tell you that the tubes you use in Woo amps make a huge difference, so that's where my money is spent.

Changing passive components (such as capacitors, resistors, cables, etc) won't be as significant on sound as changing active components (such as tubes), so I always wondered why some "Premium" caps can sell for such a high price - Mundorf, Audio Note, Jensen ... just name a few :sweat_smile:.

Besides, NOS tubes have the unique property of being non-reproducible (well, there are some new production tubes, but they can never surpass NOS tubes). While caps do not possess this unique property, they can always be mass produced in modern factories anytime anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back