Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Jul 31, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #121 of 462
hrmm.. everything is great with the empy as it is a pretty, well made.. "good" sounding headphone. (note, not great nor amazing - just good.)
Might I suggest a primaluna evo 300? I'd suggest that (or something else) Look at the the WA5 if you are trying to drive something that uses a lot of power. (of course one could do off the taps of the PL.)
If you have a love for the 6sn7 and the 300b (which is something good to love IMO) maybe wait for the unit @ThanatosVI is talking about from Feliks or the WA5.
Yes i have the PL and the WA5.. and the empy. I use the WA5 only to drive the susvara, but i might change it up and uses the PL off the taps for the sus.
(ugh.. what would i do with the WA5 i just bought then... ugh..)

I really like the woo, but it isn't the prettiest and feel like it should cost a few k less (it is all built to order too so you'll need to wait a month+)
The Stock tubes power and rec tubes kinda stuck so add another 1k-2k on top of the price.
Thanks, i do not agree everything sounds good with empys. They can sound mediocrate with some amps, but with good amp they sound really outstanding. These are not the best HPs for sure but their musicality is something i consider end game for me, at least for now (though i have not tried many other HPs). They are also very comfortable, especially in comparison with audeze (i used to have lcd3f).

I have Ayon ha3 and it can drive Meze surprisingly well with its 45 type tubes. I do not have short term plan to sell Ayon but i always wanted to have woo wa5 (it looks awesome) so this was the reason of my question, if there is a synergy between meze and specifically wa5.

I wil for sure check new feliks, but i doubt it will look as cool as wa5:)

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #122 of 462
The Woo Wa5 is already one of the most affordable 300B amps on the market if you disregard no Name Chinese amps.

If one is in no rush, I still recommend waiting for thr Feliks amp and reviews.
There is no pricing information yet, so not even clear of they are direct competitors
New feliks is interesting for sure, but i doubt it will be better than Your Octave @ThanatosVI :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #123 of 462
Thanks, i do not agree everything sounds good with empys. They can sound mediocrate with some amps, but with good amp they sound really outstanding. These are not the best HPs for sure but their musicality is something i consider end game for me, at least for now (though i have not tried many other HPs). They are also very comfortable, especially in comparison with audeze (i used to have lcd3f).

I have Ayon ha3 and it can drive Meze surprisingly well with its 45 type tubes. I do not have short term plan to sell Ayon but i always wanted to have woo wa5 (it looks awesome) so this was the reason of my question, if there is a synergy between meze and specifically wa5.

Well if you are really into the looks of the WA5, the pricing is also among the best for 300B amps.
I'd say go for it.

Both the headphones and the amp have a Lush musicality, so maybe "too much" of the same type. This is however very subjective and I think it will be fine (never heard the Wa5 myself tho, since I dislike its aestethics)

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #124 of 462
Jul 31, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #126 of 462
Same with Ayon, but there are so many tempting amps like wa5:)
I know right!
There are more amps than headphones, that I want to audition and that even tho I already have such an killer amp.

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #127 of 462
I kind of miss having the WA5. If I had it I could get the IFI or Mjolnir Estat Energizer and would be more interested in the upcoming Audeze Estat. I know so little about electrostatics. I wonder if anyone knows how much if any is sacrificed by going with an integrated amp and energizer versus a dedicated electostratic amp?

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #128 of 462
I kind of miss having the WA5. If I had it I could get the IFI or Mjolnir Estat Energizer and would be more interested in the upcoming Audeze Estat. I know so little about electrostatics. I wonder if anyone knows how much if any is sacrificed by going with an integrated amp and energizer versus a dedicated electostratic amp?
Probably depends on the quality of the integrated amp and energizer.

Maybe the stax thread is a good source for questions like that

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #129 of 462

I was being nice.. the empys kinda suck - don't spend money to try to make them sound good because the are meh.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #130 of 462
I was being nice.. the empys kinda suck - don't spend money to try to make them sound good because the are meh.
It is subjective, i like them with Ayon. I tried Audeze but really can not accept how heavy they are so will stay with Meze.

Because this is wa5 thread i wondered if anyone has listened to meze with wa5 and can share a view on synergy..

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #131 of 462
@Bonddam you have a Wa5 and Empyrean right?

please share your thoughts on synergy

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #132 of 462
@Bonddam you have a Wa5 and Empyrean right?

please share your thoughts on synergy
I use to have the Empyrean. I am came to the conclusion that it needs a bright amp in the upper midrange. Its just too dark for me on that amp and my hybrid Dragon is neutral and smooth/ edgy but does not improve the darkness for me. LCD 3 sounds better but does not have the bass of Empyrean. You do get space in the sound so its not giving you the sensation that it's all coming from the cup. I buy my amps for my 1266. Awesome headphone with the WA5 LE is the Fostex TH900 MK2. Takes away the some of the V shape and the it does not perform like a closed back by not having space. My music is electronic so there are sounds that come from far away on that headphone. The Bass is better it goes all the way into the sub bass region. So if you are looking at adding WA5 LE to the Empyrean be ready to spend money on tubes to adjust the sound of the Empyrean. WA5 actually smooths out during play time so I don't recommend listening without at least 10 minutes of warm up and breaking in those tubes before making your thoughts about it's sound.

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #133 of 462
I use to have the Empyrean. I am came to the conclusion that it needs a bright amp in the upper midrange. Its just too dark for me on that amp and my hybrid Dragon is neutral and smooth/ edgy but does not improve the darkness for me. LCD 3 sounds better but does not have the bass of Empyrean. You do get space in the sound so its not giving you the sensation that it's all coming from the cup. I buy my amps for my 1266. Awesome headphone with the WA5 LE is the Fostex TH900 MK2. Takes away the some of the V shape and the it does not perform like a closed back by not having space. My music is electronic so there are sounds that come from far away on that headphone. The Bass is better it goes all the way into the sub bass region. So if you are looking at adding WA5 LE to the Empyrean be ready to spend money on tubes to adjust the sound of the Empyrean. WA5 actually smooths out during play time so I don't recommend listening without at least 10 minutes of warm up and breaking in those tubes before making your thoughts about it's sound.
Thanks, very interesting. I used to have lcd3f that (apart from being too heavy) were a bit harsh in treable for me but the bass was really nice. Funny i find meze a bit brighter but a lot smoother. I suspect wa5 may not be the best match for meze than.

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #134 of 462
Thanks, very interesting. I used to have lcd3f that (apart from being too heavy) were a bit harsh in treable for me but the bass was really nice. Funny i find meze a bit brighter but a lot smoother. I suspect wa5 may not be the best match for meze than.
All comes down to taste and preference, it might be "too smooth" since both amp and headphone go into the same direction

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #135 of 462
All comes down to taste and preference, it might be "too smooth" since both amp and headphone go into the same direction
Yes, The Feliks Euphoria is the best tube amp for Empyrean. The lower Feliks amps are not for the Empyrean. WA5 is edgy smooth dynamic tons of low-end. Rolling it has big changes on sound. If you are buying one talk to Mike from Woo he has the sound character for different 300b tubes. I have my three tube types, which are perfect for my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back