1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio WA22 as a preamp. Opinion wanted

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by nututubes, Oct 1, 2010.
First

Back
  1. jc9394

Quote:

I know, but I gotta to show off someone's hard work...

2. TheAudioDude
    Quote:

That's really nice.  What changes did you notice with the new caps?  I'm going to mod my WA22 sometime, although I haven't started researching different capacitors yet.

3. jc9394

Quote:

I can't answer this, maybe Danny can charm in.  I brought his amp that is modded already...

4. tarquineous
    That's the way to go. The Black Gates should give a more vivid sound, and a quieter background. That is my experience with other gear.

I would like to know if the V-caps improve the lower range. My WA22 is stock except for tubes. The upper range is better than the lower range.

Any suggestions for modifying ?

5. tvolpe1600
    I have been agonizing over the same issue. The WA2 comes with a standard preamp out, but how good is the custom balanced preamp out that Jack adds to the WA22? That puts the WA22 close to $2400, at which point I might as well look seriously at an awesome piece of equipment from Ray Samuels. I'm happy I found this thread, but I don't really see an answer to this basic question. How good is the custom WA22 as a balanced preamp?

Quote:

6. grokit
    The custom balanced preamp out that Jack adds to the WA22 sounds marvelous, beautiful and dead quiet. My only complaint is the location of the pre/headamp switch, particularly if you don't have easy access to the back of the unit. And having to add/remove the SE load plug isn't exactly convenient either.

So from an audio perspective it's absolutely perfect, but the conversion does have its ergonomic/functional shortcomings.

7. tvolpe1600
    Awesome. Good to know. I'm curious: What amp / speakers are you driving with the WA22? Source components?

8. grokit
    (phono amp)GCPH/Gungnir > WA22 > RA150(speaker amp) > WEE

I also has Woo change the SE input to a second balanced input. The switch is almost as inconvenient as the preamp switch but not quite.

First

Back