Woo Audio WA22 as a preamp. Opinion wanted
Oct 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
You...... you....., you really something devil..........................
biggrin.gif

I know, but I gotta to show off someone's hard work...

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
I know, but I gotta to show off someone's hard work...

That's really nice.  What changes did you notice with the new caps?  I'm going to mod my WA22 sometime, although I haven't started researching different capacitors yet.

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:

That's really nice.  What changes did you notice with the new caps?  I'm going to mod my WA22 sometime, although I haven't started researching different capacitors yet.

I can't answer this, maybe Danny can charm in.  I brought his amp that is modded already...

May 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 23
That's the way to go. The Black Gates should give a more vivid sound, and a quieter background. That is my experience with other gear.

I would like to know if the V-caps improve the lower range. My WA22 is stock except for tubes. The upper range is better than the lower range.

Any suggestions for modifying ?

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 23
I have been agonizing over the same issue. The WA2 comes with a standard preamp out, but how good is the custom balanced preamp out that Jack adds to the WA22? That puts the WA22 close to $2400, at which point I might as well look seriously at an awesome piece of equipment from Ray Samuels. I'm happy I found this thread, but I don't really see an answer to this basic question. How good is the custom WA22 as a balanced preamp?

Quote:

I am also looking at Ray Samuels balanced "Apache", which is a SS preamp/headphone amp. I think that I would like to get into tubes and tube rolling. by starting at the preamp level.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 23
The custom balanced preamp out that Jack adds to the WA22 sounds marvelous, beautiful and dead quiet. My only complaint is the location of the pre/headamp switch, particularly if you don't have easy access to the back of the unit. And having to add/remove the SE load plug isn't exactly convenient either.

So from an audio perspective it's absolutely perfect, but the conversion does have its ergonomic/functional shortcomings.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 23
(phono amp)GCPH/Gungnir > WA22 > RA150(speaker amp) > WEE

I also has Woo change the SE input to a second balanced input. The switch is almost as inconvenient as the preamp switch but not quite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back