Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Nov 24, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #317 of 2,692
Which tubes does give the most sound impact of them all? Im looking for more Bass,warmth and soundstage.
Try any of the ECC31 - ECC35's. With your existing setup, you'll have probably one of the best pimped out WA22's.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #318 of 2,692
!@##@!

Gee I have a love hate relationship with this amp. Right now hate mad.

For months it has sounded great. Last few sessions it has been perfect and gave me warm
fuzzies. It made me feel that all my efforts and $$'s into trialling so many tubes were worth it.
Just the right amount of warmth, detail, holographics and goeyness.

I turn it on this morning and what do I get????
Buzz bloody buzz. The friggin tubes haven't been touched in 6 months and should be settled.
Buzz, nice sounding music, buzz, music, buzz, buzz and buzz. Makes me want to throw it against a wall.

This amp has been so friggin temperamental. Always been a bit of a dog with fleas.
Pissed of I paid so much for it.

Decided to switch to the V281 and the sound is soooooo freakin close to tubes without the tube hassel.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #319 of 2,692
!@##@!

Gee I have a love hate relationship with this amp. Right now hate mad.

For months it has sounded great. Last few sessions it has been perfect and gave me warm
fuzzies. It made me feel that all my efforts and $$'s into trialling so many tubes were worth it.
Just the right amount of warmth, detail, holographics and goeyness.

I turn it on this morning and what do I get????
Buzz bloody buzz. The friggin tubes haven't been touched in 6 months and should be settled.
Buzz, nice sounding music, buzz, music, buzz, buzz and buzz. Makes me want to throw it against a wall.

This amp has been so friggin temperamental. Always been a bit of a dog with fleas.
Pissed of I paid so much for it.

Decided to switch to the V281 and the sound is soooooo freakin close to tubes without the tube hassel.

I knew you don't like your WA22 from the very beginning because of the "buzz". I trust you. I also understand that you had invested so much $$$ on the tubes for it. :)

But you must have heard other WA22s which are dead silent. Is it possible to bring the amp to a friend's house, and give it a try (make sure it's not caused by a bad circuit in your house wiring)?

I am not so sure of the cause of that, however, it could be transformer noise.

BTW,

shapeshifter44

has the same issue.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #320 of 2,692
I knew you don't like your WA22 from the very beginning because of the "buzz". I trust you. I also understand that you had invested so much $$$ on the tubes for it. :)

But you must have heard other WA22s which are dead silent. Is it possible to bring the amp to a friend's house, and give it a try (make sure it's not caused by a bad circuit in your house wiring)?

I am not so sure of the cause of that, however, it could be transformer noise.

BTW,

shapeshifter44

has the same issue.

I hear ya. I got a dud.

What really annoys me tho is it should have been tested before shipping half way around the world.
We can't ship back for repair. The freight costs kills it.

When I put the order in on the agent (which charges 50% more than the US price) I contacted Woo
and told them I had a order in and could it be carefully tested before shipping.

Every other overseas companies has replied "absolutely". No response ever came from Woo
or the distributor.

Right from the first month I alerted to issues. Everything was pointed at tubes. I own stacks of tubes and
90% have noise. I have to settle for the very few that don't.

One day I will take it to a local guy and get them to rip it apart and take a look. Or I might just leave it as
a display and use the V281.

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #321 of 2,692
I wonder how about wa22 drives the AKG K1000.:nerd:

This is of central importance to me, as K1000 is the gem of my collection. I like MJ2, and use it for HD600 and 800, but I am searching for a more euphonic sound. Is WA22 what I'm looking for? Is WA5/LE? My Panache makes the power question moot, as it has something like ten times the power of WA5.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #322 of 2,692
Congrats, Jimmy! A nice combination of tubes for sure. The 5998 was my power tube of choice, and I understand the WE 421A is actually the same tube. I also bought a pair of 421As but returned them because they were terribly microphonic. I guess the pair I had was late production.

Nowadays I`m using a single 6BL7GTA instead of the 5998. The problem with the 5998 is that the gain of the amplifier is too high for one of the headphones that I hear the most: the Fostex TH-X00. The 6BL7GTA lowers the amp gain and has a rich, beautiful sound. I have both late production RCA and antique GE 6BL7s. My rectifier is the U52,

My WE 421A are also Microphonic but i think i can live with it, i got a good deal.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #323 of 2,692
1 new matched pair RCA arrived today and i already listening to them right now and i like them so far. Warmer and more sweet sounding music without any harsh sound just like i want it ^^
I also bought a new Geekria EJB35 Full-Size Hard Shell Large Headphone Carrying Case for HD800S which fits perfectly :D
IMG_20171206_223139.jpg IMG_20171206_215609.jpg IMG_20171206_223415.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #324 of 2,692
Jimmy Merry early Christmas to you! I like RCA's too for exactly the reason you mention.

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #326 of 2,692
I'd favor the last ones on the list. I don't have any experience with the GTB's but hear that the GT's are a bit better. These look like good prices.

- RCA 6SN7GT 1950's, Silver Label, black plates, copper grid posts, bottom D-Getter w/balanced sections @ US$48,00/each; US$98,00/matched pair

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #329 of 2,692
Try any of the ECC31 - ECC35's. With your existing setup, you'll have probably one of the best pimped out WA22's.[/QU
Can ECC 31 be used without adapter?
The ECC looks really nice and i heard some good words about them. But which one should i buy! some are made in 1940, 1950 and so on... and whats the difference in sound between them.
How does this compare to the Mullards ECC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDERFUL-...454467?hash=item3f8e118cc3:g:oXQAAOSwYeRZ-ewX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back