Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by leftside, Nov 20, 2016.
First

Back
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
24 25
Next

Last
  1. mahesvara
    The answer to your question is yes. The Utopia sounds amazing with Utopia even with stock tubes. But if you upgrade to tubes that expand the sound stage, then you'll be very happy with the Utopia & WA22. But the question is how much you're willing to pay.

2. mahesvara
    I once owned the Schiit Valhalla 2 and currently use the Jotunheim at work. The WA22 is better than either of them in terms of sound stage, dynamics, and details (and pretty much everything else, really). The Valhalla sounds dull and weak compared to WA22, and the Jotunheim too metallic and narrow.

But this comparison isn't fair given the price difference .... I wish I can compare the WA22 with the Ragnarok

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  3. MIKELAP
    P1130111.JPG 6SC7 TO 6SL7 $50.00CAD.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
    You need an adapter. i have 2 pairs of the NR73/1285 version of the ECC31 they are very good but i also have several pairs of the Brimar 6SC7GT that to me sound very good also used with adapters to Here.s the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-p...198992?hash=item2ed48850d0:g:LNYAAOSwPcVVvs1s

4. bosiemoncrieff
    Or a MJ2.

5. Badas
    Update on my amp.

I had enough of it. Struggled for years with hum.

I took it to a local tube amp repairer and told him to open it up and do whatever he thinks will help.
    A few days later he phoned and said my amp was never finished. In his opinion soldering had never been tidied up.
    He also found metal in the transformer casings. His words "it's like the amp didn't have its finial inspection"

While he had it apart he asked if I wanted the transformers epoxy dipped. He told me it keeps them even quieter.
    So I went ahead and got that done.

The amp was returned and reinstalled yesterday, I've been running it a lot and so far it is dead quiet. I've noticed
    the actual noise level is lower. It seems to have a SS noise level now.

I also received the Massdrop HD6XX yesterday. So I ran those HP's with the amp. Nice combo.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    joseph69 likes this.
  6. leftside
    Glad to hear mate! Loose metal in the transformer casings will definitely cause a hum. The epoxy should help with vibrations. Sounds like you have a great local tech - which is always very useful when you are in this hobby.

7. MIKELAP
    Good to hear it was worth the trouble. Finally !!!

8. Badas
    Yeah. The guy is about 90 years old and works on tube amps only.
    Usually guitar amps.
    Workshop is like a museum. I bet he has some great tubes in there.

I just left my amp on for two hours without playing music. When I usually do that I return and it is buzzing. Not from the HP's but a low audiable buzz from the transformers themselves.
    Today it has nothing. Just as quiet as I left it.

9. Badas
    I think the repairer was right.
    My amp wasn't inspected before closing up the casings.
    I was too scared to open it up. If I had and found the metal it might have fixed it ages ago.

abvolt and MIKELAP like this.
  10. attmci
    "metal in the transformer casings" This could be the reason. You should open it by yourself. So simple.

11. Badas
    Yes. Probably should have. Shouldn't need to tho. Woo should have better quality checking.

Glad the whole thing got looked over. I was told solder work was bad and repairer tidied it up.
    It is working like I always imagined a decent tube amp would now.
    I've even noticed when changing volume now there is no clicks through the HP's.
    It use to be nasty.

12. joseph69
    Stepped attenuator???

13. Badas
    Yip. I got mine before they offered the other type.

14. joseph69
    I see.
    I didn't know Woo offered a stepped attenuator then.

15. Badas
    There was only stepped attenuators.

First

Back
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
24 25
Next

Last