Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #526 of 2,694
Anybody compare the WA22 to WA5? I know certain differences like WA22 is fully balanced, but what differences do you guys find in sonic qualities between them.

Anybody have extensive experiences with Woo stuff? Like what is the difference between WA6 and the SE, and differences between WA6, WA22, and WA5. Thanks.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #527 of 2,694
Seriously? You have a bunch of posts so you're not new to this. Two or three minutes of search would reveal literally thousands of posts answering your questions. Or are you asking that, after a decade or so of people discussing those topics on Head-Fi, that we'll start at the beginning for you?

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #528 of 2,694
Silver, I currently own both the 22 and the 5, and upgraded from the 6 SE.

The 22 can sound a bit clinical depending on tubes. I actually preferred the 6SE initially until I changed out the stock tubes. The reason for buying the 22 was to run a balanced system as I had read so many positive comments from running the HD650s fully balanced. I found that with a balanced source and the tube upgrades, the system became tonally neutral and a tad warmer in the mid range, and bettered the 6 SE. The 22 is a wonderful match for Senns but only fully balanced IMHO.

But then came the 5. It is not balanced, and while the stock tubes can be improved without too much expense, the 5 sounded magnificent out of the gate and only improved with tube rolling. The 5 was capable of handling any headphone I threw at it. Mine had the upgraded caps.

The 5 sounds big, powerful, lush and with terrific balance. In hindsight I should have just bypassed the 22, because factoring in having to upgrade tubes and balanced cables, the cost was about the same as the stock 5.

Too be clear, this is not a slam of the 22, which continues to sound wonderful but primarily on a fully balanced system using Sennheisers and Focal Clears. Rather, the 5 excels with many sources, and all headphones. I’ve replaced the 300b tubes with Genelecs and the rectifier and the sound improved but not quite as dramatically as the 22.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #529 of 2,694
Silver, I currently own both the 22 and the 5, and upgraded from the 6 SE.

The 22 can sound a bit clinical depending on tubes. I actually preferred the 6SE initially until I changed out the stock tubes. The reason for buying the 22 was to run a balanced system, and I found that with a balanced source and the tube upgrades, the system became tonally neutral and a tad warmer in the mid range, and bettered the 6 SE.

But then came the 5. It is not balanced, and while the stock tubes can be improved without too much expense, the 5 sounded magnificent out of the gate and only improved with tube rolling. The 5 was capable of handling any headphone I threw at it. Mine had the upgraded caps.

The 5 sounds big, powerful, lush and with terrific balance. In hindsight I should have just bypassed the 22, because factoring in having to upgrade tubes and balanced cables, the cost was about the same as the stock 5.

Too be clear, this is not a slam of the 22, which continues to sound wonderful but primarily on a fully balanced system using Sennheisers and Focal Clears. Rather, the 5 excels with many sources, and all headphones. I’ve replaced the 300b tubes with Genelecs and the rectifier and the sound improved but not quite as dramatically as the 22.
That's what I've been reading that WA5 sounds generally good (most consistant), and WA22 is a bit picky? Can somebody expand on this on the WA22. I need some specifics.

In terms of shear performance, is WA5 just better? There is a significant cost difference from WA6SE or WA22 to WA5 (LE). Why is there such a significance in terms of cost?

It just sounds to me that balanced doesn't mean better as WA5 exemplifies. I know WA5 has the most output power out of them all (8W).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #530 of 2,694
That's what I've been reading that WA5 sounds generally good (most consistant), and WA22 is a bit picky? Can somebody expand on this on the WA22. I need some specifics.

In terms of shear performance, is WA5 just better? There is a significant cost difference from WA6SE or WA22 to WA5 (LE). Why is there such a significance in terms of cost?

I think the WA5 is better. Everything is more - more separation of instruments, more body, more dynamics. The 5 is more musical with a wider variety of gear and with less fuss than the 22.

From a cost standpoint, there are more parts with larger transformers and two chassis. The 5 is nearly twice the size of the 22 and weighs 2.5 times more. Lots of iron! The 5 uses two 274 rectifiers instead of one. 300 b tubes are significantly more expensive, adding to the cost. The power supply on the 5 is massive. The upgraded 5 version uses larger and more expensive caps. Look under the hood and you’ll see.

Not sure why the 22 is more tube finicky. I’ve not rolled as many tubes as others but just read and took the recommended pairings here, at the price point I could tolerate. I should note my 22 has upgraded Jupiter copper caps too, adding another $400.

Last week I had a chance to hear the WA33 vs the 22. The 33 was more refined than the 5 but the gap with the 33 and the 5 wasn’t as large as the gap with the 22 vs the 5. The 33 just improved on the strengths of the 5 rather than sounding altogether different.

You can read all you want but hearing the different amps will be more helpful. I wasn’t able to hear these amps before I bought them, and relied on the ears of those I trusted who were not wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #532 of 2,694
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #533 of 2,694
I think the WA5 is better. Everything is more - more separation of instruments, more body, more dynamics. The 5 is more musical with a wider variety of gear and with less fuss than the 22.

From a cost standpoint, there are more parts with larger transformers and two chassis. The 5 is nearly twice the size of the 22 and weighs 2.5 times more. Lots of iron! The 5 uses two 274 rectifiers instead of one. 300 b tubes are significantly more expensive, adding to the cost. The power supply on the 5 is massive. The upgraded 5 version uses larger and more expensive caps. Look under the hood and you’ll see.

Not sure why the 22 is more tube finicky. I’ve not rolled as many tubes as others but just read and took the recommended pairings here, at the price point I could tolerate. I should note my 22 has upgraded Jupiter copper caps too, adding another $400.

Last week I had a chance to hear the WA33 vs the 22. The 33 was more refined than the 5 but the gap with the 33 and the 5 wasn’t as large as the gap with the 22 vs the 5. The 33 just improved on the strengths of the 5 rather than sounding altogether different.

You can read all you want but hearing the different amps will be more helpful. I wasn’t able to hear these amps before I bought them, and relied on the ears of those I trusted who were not wrong.

Who did that? Woo? You know how much those caps cost, right?

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #534 of 2,694

It just sounds to me that balanced doesn't mean better as WA5 exemplifies. I know WA5 has the most output power out of them all (8W).
Do want to drive speakers? Use with WEE? Then you need WA5.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #535 of 2,694
Who did that? Woo? You know how much those caps cost, right?

An audio shop did this. I think the caps were around $250 and the rest was labor.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #536 of 2,694
Do want to drive speakers? Use with WEE? Then you need WA5.

They make three versions of the WA5: plain Jane headphone amp only (WA5 LE), upgraded parts version of the headphone amp, and the full version that includes speaker terminals (WA5)

I run my WA5 with speakers too and it works great.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #537 of 2,694
Easy to change coupling caps in tube gear. If you can solder you can change the caps. At least you should be able to do so.

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #539 of 2,694
Here's a very nice combo to try a pair of 6BL7's , ECC35's, GZ34 it's has a nice clear sound..

wa22.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back