Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #511 of 2,694
Western Electric 421A from the 70's and 80's are most definitely not TungSol 5998 as TungSol as a company were no longer around by then. I have the 421A from the 70's and 80's are they are very fine tubes. Obviously still being quite old, some may have been used more than others.

I have a WA2 and a 300B headphone amp. I also have the LCD-3 and LCD-4 headphones. The WA22 with high powered tubes such as ECC35 and ECC33 + TungSol 5998 or 6BL7 and the LCD-3 sounds great. But, it's not enough for the hungry LCD-4. The LCD-4 really shines with a higher powered headphone amp such as the Glenn 300B or Woo 300B. Impossible to upgrade everything at once I know....

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #512 of 2,694
I have to agree with LeftSide. It’s not that the Audeze planers sound bad on the WA22 or that there isn’t enough power to produce sufficient volume. But listen on a 300b amp and the LCDs come alive in a big way, stronger more controlled bass and effortless range. That’s not a knock on the WA22 but rather just good system matching.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #513 of 2,694
Western Electric 421A from the 70's and 80's are most definitely not TungSol 5998 as TungSol as a company were no longer around by then. I have the 421A from the 70's and 80's are they are very fine tubes. Obviously still being quite old, some may have been used more than others.

I have a WA2 and a 300B headphone amp. I also have the LCD-3 and LCD-4 headphones. The WA22 with high powered tubes such as ECC35 and ECC33 + TungSol 5998 or 6BL7 and the LCD-3 sounds great. But, it's not enough for the hungry LCD-4. The LCD-4 really shines with a higher powered headphone amp such as the Glenn 300B or Woo 300B. Impossible to upgrade everything at once I know....

Wow, I think the LCD-4 sounds great with the WA22 already, but as they say, ignorance is a bliss. Later this month I'll get an iFi Pro iCAN, which I hope has more than enough power to drive the LCD-4.

I'm curious, why do you say the WA22 isn't enough for the LCD-4? My volume control never goes beyond 12 o'clock, and even at sound levels at the limit of my comfort I don't hear any distortion.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #514 of 2,694
I have to agree with LeftSide. It’s not that the Audeze planers sound bad on the WA22 or that there isn’t enough power to produce sufficient volume. But listen on a 300b amp and the LCDs come alive in a big way, stronger more controlled bass and effortless range. That’s not a knock on the WA22 but rather just good system matching.

Sorry, I replied to leftside before reading your comments.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #516 of 2,694
Agreed. Says it better than I did :)

It's a little expensive to purchase the LCD-4 AND a 300B amp. I've always gone the route of purchasing something that I know is better than the rest of my gear, and then gradually purchase/match gear over time/as funds allow.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #517 of 2,694
Agreed. Says it better than I did :)

It's a little expensive to purchase the LCD-4 AND a 300B amp. I've always gone the route of purchasing something that I know is better than the rest of my gear, and then gradually purchase/match gear over time/as funds allow.

Pretty nice piece of advice, thank you.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #518 of 2,694
Haven't tube rolled for a while, but tried a few different combos tonight with the LCD3's. The LCD3's definitely appreciate the extra power of the ECC35 + TungSol 5998, but perhaps this is slightly too much gain as when I added the ECC35 there was a very slight hum in the right channel. Rolled in the GEC 6AS7G. Not as much power as the TS 5998, but headphones were dead silent with no music playing and the ECC35 provided enough extra gain. Mullard ECC35 + GEC 6AS7G + Cossor 53KU = a winning combo for the WA22.

20181119_044321549_iOS (Small).jpg

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #519 of 2,694
I'll bet that is a great combo,as soon as I get a pair of the gec's I'll let you know gorgeous tubes..

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #520 of 2,694
I am a new owner of WA22 2nd gen.

To any would be WA22 owner, I think you might be disappointed with the WA22 if you are expecting something fantastic the moment you reached home and plugged it in.

It doesn't sound good off the shelves. You will be spending a lot of money on tube rolling to get it to perform somewhat adequately. I spend us$2000 on tubes and I am unhappy with the performance of the amp. If I reside in the States, I would have returned the amp for a refund.

I find the amp to be lifeless and lack dynamic with the stock tube. With a U52, 5692, CV181 and 5998, it is slightly better *only*.

I have solid state amp that perform much better and more musical at a much lower price point.

I wouldn't exactly say this is a bad amp. It is decent, average at most but for all the hype around this amp, I felt it is over rated. It's quiet, no doubt and very well made. Tube rolling affect musicality at a very subtle level. The cost to performance ratio just don't cut it.

It's is NOT a amp that you can plug in and enjoy. There is no omph and wow at first slight.

BTW, I'm pairing this with a HD600, hd800, hd800s.

If anyone have any suggestion on how to improve my listening experience, please do advise. I have replace the cap with Mundoft Gold..the improvement are slight....

On a side note, tube rolling is fun but without the result to go with it. Well...oh well.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #521 of 2,694
Well first I'd suggest that you give you're new amp some burn-in time before deciding the wa22 is "lifeless and lacks dynamics" which I disagree with even with the stock tubes.

Also another suggestion would be to listen to you're amp for some time with the stock tubes that way you'll notice the differences when you become educated in tube rolling it take time. Going out and buying the best tubes that some are the best doesn't mean their the best for you.

Lots of trial & error with tubes, remember expensive tubes does not mean best sounding their just more rare.

The wa22 is an amazing sounding amp with huge tube rolling options you made a good choice..

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #522 of 2,694
Well first I'd suggest that you give you're new amp some burn-in time before deciding the wa22 is "lifeless and lacks dynamics" which I disagree with even with the stock tubes.

Also another suggestion would be to listen to you're amp for some time with the stock tubes that way you'll notice the differences when you become educated in tube rolling it take time. Going out and buying the best tubes that some are the best doesn't mean their the best for you.

Lots of trial & error with tubes, remember expensive tubes does not mean best sounding their just more rare.

The wa22 is an amazing sounding amp with huge tube rolling options you made a good choice..

I really hope I did not make a wrong choice. I spend about 3 weeks on the stock tube.

I am giving it another go, I have another 22 sets of tubes coming for the WA22. I really hope to find a combination I will be happy with.

I think audio is very personal, the problem might be me.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #523 of 2,694
Sophia Electric tubes have certainly done a great job in upgrading the sound of my Woo WA6. Once I get a WA22 my first reach will be for a set of Sophia Electric tubes.

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #524 of 2,694
I really hope I did not make a wrong choice. I spend about 3 weeks on the stock tube.

I am giving it another go, I have another 22 sets of tubes coming for the WA22. I really hope to find a combination I will be happy with.

I think audio is very personal, the problem might be me.
Tube rolling won't make your $2000 amp to become a $4000 one. It's insane to spend that much money on tubes in such a short period. You should buy other sets of headphones use the money.

If you don't like it, just sale it to a local head-fier.

Don't get me wrong. I love my amp and know what tubes best fit MY tastes.

Good luck!

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #525 of 2,694
I agree that a stock WA22 with stock tubes sounds a bit underwhelming, but not lifeless. I spent another $300 on tubes, and running it balanced with a balanced source gives you a much better experience than running it single ended, especially with Senns.

I find it one of the best matches with the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back