Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #378 of 2,692
Originally all aluminium, I removed the front plate and transformer tops and had them anodized at a local metal workshop.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #380 of 2,692
https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa22

WA22 (2nd Gen.) Preamp option becomes standard and price adjusted (US$2,499). Not sure how the sonic performance was improved. Is the "ALPS smooth potentiometer" an "upgrade"?

BTW, I am not familiar with the recent WA22 production. I am pretty sure Mike will come to let us know more details.. :)

Tung Sol 5998 upgrade available for $440.

Originally introduced in 2009, WA22 has been an audiophile favorite. New for 2018 is improved sonic performance and preamplifier feature for use with a Hi-Fi system. WA22 (2nd gen) is an all-tube design, fully balanced headphone amplifier and preamplifier. The advantage of a fully balanced system is improved channel separation, more precise soundstage, and imaging. Perfectly suited for the headphone enthusiast and experienced audiophiles seeking flexibility and purest sound.

• Updated to 2nd generation in April 2018
  • Tubes: 6SN7 driver x 2, 6080 power x 2, 5U4G rectifier x 1
  • Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) tube sockets
  • Fully-balanced design, Class-A
  • Transformer-coupled, Point-to-Point wiring, Pseudo-dual power supply
  • Phase Splitter for use with unbalanced components
  • HI / LO impedance setting
  • XLR input x 1, RCA input x 1
  • Dual 3-pin XLR (left and right channel), 4-pin XLR and 1/4" (6.3mm) stereo headphone outputs
  • XLR balanced PREAMP output (<50 ohms)
  • ALPS smooth potentiometer
  • Anodized aluminum chassis, available in black or silver
  • Self-biasing with compatible tubes [chart]
  • Global voltage (100v–220v) without converter
  • Dimensions: 7"(H), 12"(W), 10½"(D) amplifier 25 lbs.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #381 of 2,692
They already have pre-outs on the front. We're paying $500 for pin reversals and not having to run the XLR cables under the amp and out to the power amp/powered speakers? Here's one potential customer who's 100% going to buy used. Raising prices is rarely a good idea, and only when decisive advances in functionality occur. Here's to Woo dampening sales yet again.

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #382 of 2,692
They already have pre-outs on the front. We're paying $500 for pin reversals and not having to run the XLR cables under the amp and out to the power amp/powered speakers? Here's one potential customer who's 100% going to buy used. Raising prices is rarely a good idea, and only when decisive advances in functionality occur. Here's to Woo dampening sales yet again.
I think the pre its for other systems that you would like to use a vacuum tube pre amp, but in my opinion does not work. I have both systems and I use a pre for the Woo not the Woo as a pre. BTW I have one with out the pre outputs. Like you said "We're paying $500 for pin reversals and not having to run the XLR cables under the amp and out to the power amp/powered speakers" What WOO AUDIO

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #383 of 2,692
Adding a preamp is a negative for me. Cramming more parts into the chassis. If you already have a preamp, then the additional cost is a waste of money.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #386 of 2,692
It's a stepped attenuator seems fine so far, this May will be 3 years since I've owned the WA22 ..

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #388 of 2,692
Haven't had a few pics for a while. I recently added the ZMF Auteur's and Lampizator Euforia DSD DAC to this setup. The headphone are very nice, and the DAC is exceptional. Absolute bargain at it's used price. Outperforms every DAC I've heard at this price range, outperforms a lot of DACs that are more expensive, and gives a run for the money of much more expensive DACs.

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.JPG

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #389 of 2,692
Haven't had a few pics for a while. I recently added the ZMF Auteur's and Lampizator Euforia DSD DAC to this setup. The headphone are very nice, and the DAC is exceptional. Absolute bargain at it's used price. Outperforms every DAC I've heard at this price range, outperforms a lot of DACs that are more expensive, and gives a run for the money of much more expensive DACs.

You got a great deal for the DAC. Is that one DSD only?

Glad you still have the WA22 (which is no longer in your signature). :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #390 of 2,692
You got a great deal for the DAC. Is that one DSD only?

Glad you still have the WA22 (which is no longer in your signature). :)
Yes DSD only. That's fine for me as I simply connect the computer to the DAC via USB and use Roon to send out a DSD signal.

Good spot! I didn't realize that. I was modifying my signature the other day (yet more gear...) and must have removed it by mistake. Added back... My wife loves the WA22 and I still listen to it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back