Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
May 18, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #407 of 2,692
Got the Gen 2 recently and am running 5998 Tung sol, 422A, Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231, Zu Audio Power/interconnects and audioquest power.

I'm not sure how the Gen 1 is with this setup but I'm replacing Linear Audio V2 w/ ps, and a ifi pro and this is definately much better.

Floor noise is okay as I think the gain on some of the tubes is a bit high.

Using Z1R, Elex, LCD4, LCD2. Sounds great with all, maybe a bit bright with the elex, elear should sound great.

May 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #408 of 2,692
Got the Gen 2 recently and am running 5998 Tung sol, 422A, Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231, Zu Audio Power/interconnects and audioquest power.

I'm not sure how the Gen 1 is with this setup but I'm replacing Linear Audio V2 w/ ps, and a ifi pro and this is definately much better.

Floor noise is okay as I think the gain on some of the tubes is a bit high.

Using Z1R, Elex, LCD4, LCD2. Sounds great with all, maybe a bit bright with the elex, elear should sound great.
If you have a noise floor, something is going on with your tubes, chain, or your particular setup. My WA22 is dead quiet with both low and high imp cans.
I use the same power and driver tubes, just a different rectifier.

May 18, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #409 of 2,692
If you have a noise floor, something is going on with your tubes, chain, or your particular setup. My WA22 is dead quiet with both low and high imp cans.
I use the same power and driver tubes, just a different rectifier.

It may be one or more of my tubes making the noise, but I dont think so.

Are you using your cans with balanced? I find that If I use the balanced stereo out, I get more noise than the SE.

May 18, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #410 of 2,692
It may be one or more of my tubes making the noise, but I dont think so.

Are you using your cans with balanced? I find that If I use the balanced stereo out, I get more noise than the SE.
Yes, I run mine balanced (DAC > Pre > WA22 > Cans) since day 1 and never have any noise problems. Try swapping out your tubes and see.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #411 of 2,692
Tubes can certainly be noisy make sure the pins are clean also you may want to check out "Caig DeoxIT" it improves conductivity on all metal connectors, works for a lot of friends on this board. Just a thought..enjoy

May 23, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #412 of 2,692
I finally got around to replacing my stock tubes with the following: Western Electric 422A rectifier, Western Electric 421A power and Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base driver tubes. after being familiar with the stock tubes' sound for nearly 2 years, this new set of tubes was a stunning revelation to me, especially when listening to classical stuff like Ravi Shankar. I'm considering collecting driver tubes that may work well with this combo, for listening to jazz and rock. any input from you guys will be appreciated, thanks :)

May 23, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #413 of 2,692
I finally got around to replacing my stock tubes with the following: Western Electric 422A rectifier, Western Electric 421A power and Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base driver tubes. after being familiar with the stock tubes' sound for nearly 2 years, this new set of tubes was a stunning revelation to me, especially when listening to classical stuff like Ravi Shankar. I'm considering collecting driver tubes that may work well with this combo, for listening to jazz and rock. any input from you guys will be appreciated, thanks

Awesome stuff mate. Enjoy. Do post some pics of the setup.

May 23, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #414 of 2,692
I finally got around to replacing my stock tubes with the following: Western Electric 422A rectifier, Western Electric 421A power and Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base driver tubes. after being familiar with the stock tubes' sound for nearly 2 years, this new set of tubes was a stunning revelation to me, especially when listening to classical stuff like Ravi Shankar. I'm considering collecting driver tubes that may work well with this combo, for listening to jazz and rock. any input from you guys will be appreciated, thanks :)
For jazz and rock. Just swap in some kenrad vt 231 black glass and rock on.

May 23, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #415 of 2,692

Check out this thread. The first post is like an encyclopedia of drivers for the WA22. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

May 31, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #416 of 2,692
Hi,

I have just purchased a WA22 Gen 2 model, I have been looking into WA22 threads on Head Fi and found this one. Is this the main thread for the WA22 or are there others? I have found the Woo Audio Owners Unite Thread, but this seems to be a bit general
about all Woo Audio amps. I come from A Feliks Audio Elise & Euforia, both of which are stunning amps for their price point and use 6SN7 drivers and 6080 drivers, very much looking forward to doing some tube rolling with the WA22...:beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

May 31, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #417 of 2,692
Welcome snapper. Enjoy the Wa22. Good amp and a good preamp when you pair it to a neutral SS. What headphones are you using with yours?

May 31, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #418 of 2,692
Hi Contrails, Many thanks for the welcome, My amp is due to arrive in the next two weeks, I listen with Mr Speakers Aeon Closed & Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2's, plant to connect it to a Cyrus Stereo 200 class d Balanced power amp then out to a pair of KEF LS 50's, how about you?

May 31, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #419 of 2,692
Nice. We would love to hear your review of the wa22 vs Feliks amps.

No headphones atm. I am waiting for the ZMF Auteur to be released in some dark exotic wood. I was using the LCD-X before. I use the Wa22 as pre with Epos K2 speakers and Cambridge Audio CXA80 amp.

May 31, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #420 of 2,692
Snapper. That setup makes you da man! Enjoy.

Please post some pics when your baby gets set up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back