Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #466 of 777
This is not a complaint, more of a FYI.
It's stupid why you would need this battery pack in the first place. As I said earlier, I've NEVER come across this shut-off feature in any other DAC/AMP. Neither did the 2 guys who worked in the store I purchased at. The DMP Z1 didn't even do it when I was swapping headphone jacks (I wasn't even aware you were supposed to turn the vol pot to zero). Just a curiosity why it's needed when no other device I've come across has had it. Nevertheless, I won't be buying another unit. It's actually really annoying and a deal-breaker. Woo, not sure why this protective measure was necessary, but you've lost at least one purchase because of it. Bad customer service too, as none of my emails to Woo were answered and I had to get my answer here. That's life I guess.

WA11 is unlike other portable amplifiers on the market. It is fully balanced in design and we use an analog volume control, most others are digital. As explained in my previous post, turning the volume to zero or power off the amp before changing headphones will prevent the safety circuit from engaging. This is normal/good practice for all high-end audio components.

We typically answer emails within 12 hrs and often within 2. We also check the Spam folder. Perhaps you didn’t get our reply? Please check your Spam folder.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #467 of 777
@HiFiGuy528 Mike (or anyone else) - any recommendation for a 1-foot long USB-C to USB-C OTG cable to connect my Samsung phone (serving as transport) to the WA11 ?
The included cable with the WA11 is pretty long for my needs...

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #468 of 777
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #469 of 777
@HiFiGuy528 Mike (or anyone else) - any recommendation for a 1-foot long USB-C to USB-C OTG cable to connect my Samsung phone (serving as transport) to the WA11 ?
The included cable with the WA11 is pretty long for my needs...

Not quite - Woo sells 0.1m (10cm) or 1m cables. The first is too short, the latter is too long...
Ideally, I want a cable that is 1 foot long (30cm or 0.3m).

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #470 of 777
LRM_EXPORT_531856311890277_20190813_102134661.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_531919478934232_20190813_102237828.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_532030910795113_20190813_102429260.jpeg

I found this carrying bag quite perfect with WA11. It fit snuggly, there is divider like in camera bag that you can customize to your need. I used just one here, and there is a room to spare after I fit in WA11 which I put BTR3 there.

Top portion has two mesh pocket. I can fit a short cable here and the other pocket for an adapter or two. There is wriststrap for easier carry, but I'll just fit this in another bag.

This is a more convenient carry compared to the included pouch (+ another pouch for cables). And looks pretty cool too. :)

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #471 of 777

I found this carrying bag quite perfect with WA11. It fit snuggly, there is divider like in camera bag that you can customize to your need. I used just one here, and there is a room to spare after I fit in WA11 which I put BTR3 there.

Top portion has two mesh pocket. I can fit a short cable here and the other pocket for an adapter or two. There is wriststrap for easier carry, but I'll just fit this in another bag.

This is a more convenient carry compared to the included pouch (+ another pouch for cables). And looks pretty cool too. :)
Jeffri - come on, you cannot post these photos, and not have a link... :angry:
Also, what is the length of the cable you use?

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #472 of 777
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #475 of 777
A little corner of paradise at work

IMG_0714.JPG

I bought the WA11 from Woo Audio a couple of weeks ago out of curiosity. I already auditioned it at CanJam SoCal and thought it was a good portable DAC/amp but couldn't say much more than that because, you know, it was at a show and I couldn't use my own music due to some technical issues (a little bit more about that later). One week later I thought to myself that the WA11 isn't expensive for what it is, so I'd like to try it out more extensively and at my leisure. Shortly after that, the WA11 arrived.

As you can see, I already have the Sony WM1Z to use with my IER-Z1R at work. The combo already sounds superb, but I've always thought that the WM1Z doesn't provide enough juice to feed the power-hungry Z1R.

In the beginning, I coupled the WA11 with WM1Z through Sony's adapter for WM1Z, it serving as transport to WA11. This new combo sounds very good, and in several ways I enjoyed them more than I did with Z1R fed by WM1Z alone. Z1R driven by WM1Z does have better depth-of-stage, stereo separation, higher resolution and treble extension but it also sounded a bit dry sometimes. With WM1Z as transport and WA11 as DAC/amp, the music out of Z1R gains greater warmth, more lush midrange, deeper bass extension, and an organic pleasantness that smoothed out Z1R's splashy treble. I thought to myself then that I loved the sound enough to keep WA11 in my collection.

But the clunkiness of the set-up annoyed me. Not sure if you've ever seen the Sony adapter for WM series, but it's big and unwieldly. I didn't think about connecting WA11's line-in port with WM1Z's balanced output because at CanJam SoCal, I learned that WM1Z's balanced out isn't grounded, so it wouldn't work.

Grasping for straws, I asked Jack Wu of Woo Audio whether he could find a way around the problem. To my surprise, he replied that he had built a custom cable (4.4mm Pentaconn to 4.4mm Pentaconn with an additional 2.5mm 3.5mm plug that would be pluged into WM1Z's unbalanced out and act as ground). So I asked him to sell it to me. It's not on Woo's website yet, I think, so if you want it, you should email Woo Audio :)

The result made me very happy. I now have the best of both worlds: WM1Z's resolution and WA11's organic lushness. I decided to definitely keep WA11 to use at work and for travel.

So aside from what I said above, why would you want WA11 even if you already have something like WM1Z? It's because of the high output impedance of WM1Z poses some challenge with with low-impedance gears like IEMs and, for example, the MySphere 3.1. WA11 solves that problem for you, improves on the sound quality of WM1Z in my opinion, and can help you drive full-size cans that require a lot of power like the Abyss Diana Phi even if you're on the go.

Now if Jack Wu can build me a Unity Smart Case to use with my WM1Z, I would be very, very happy.

Edit: I got the unbalanced part wrong. It's 3.5mm, not 2.5mm

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #476 of 777
Thanks for sharing your experience with your WM1Z and WA11 combo. I also would like to get the custom cable (4.4mm) from Woo Audio.

I am wondering the Oriolus BA300S JP Version included 4.4mm balanced interconnect with 3.5mm ground plug will also works the same in this case.

This is the description for the cable:

Why 3.5mm GND plug?

Some of our Japanese users told us that for connecting BA300s with 4.4mm phone out port only will let some tiny noise go into the earphone. Some users can hear it and some can not.

GND is not valid on almost of the DAPs with 4.4mm phone out port(only L+ L- R+ R-), so that we cannot make BA300s and those DAPs have the same voltage potential of GND directly. The tiny noise is hard to avoid. So that we make a new cable which can get the GND from the 3.5mm phone out port of those DAPs. And it works.

If using Sony's DAP, please connect the 3.5mm plug to you player first and then connect the 4.4mm plug because of the automatic balanced mode switch system of SONY if you use both 4.4mm and 3.5mm phone out port.

ba300s_G4_1024x1024.jpg

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #479 of 777
Thanks for sharing your experience with your WM1Z and WA11 combo. I also would like to get the custom cable (4.4mm) from Woo Audio.

I am wondering the Oriolus BA300S JP Version included 4.4mm balanced interconnect with 3.5mm ground plug will also works the same in this case.

This is the description for the cable:

Why 3.5mm GND plug?

Some of our Japanese users told us that for connecting BA300s with 4.4mm phone out port only will let some tiny noise go into the earphone. Some users can hear it and some can not.

GND is not valid on almost of the DAPs with 4.4mm phone out port(only L+ L- R+ R-), so that we cannot make BA300s and those DAPs have the same voltage potential of GND directly. The tiny noise is hard to avoid. So that we make a new cable which can get the GND from the 3.5mm phone out port of those DAPs. And it works.

If using Sony's DAP, please connect the 3.5mm plug to you player first and then connect the 4.4mm plug because of the automatic balanced mode switch system of SONY if you use both 4.4mm and 3.5mm phone out port.

I got that cable directly from PW audio and it works fine;of course it has the 2.5mm and 3.5mm ground out to 4.4mm. You can contact PW audio directly.

I use it with my AK SP1000 cu, connecting to the line in jack of the WA11.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #480 of 777
Hi everyone I own wm1z and ier-z1r and I'd need some recommendations.

I find the treble to be to bright and sparkly a little to much on my taste with this combo.

Will wa8 or wa11 be able to fix issue and bring that desired sound signature.

More width warmth and less treble?

Also how close is it to a desktop performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back