Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 17, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #436 of 774
Can't say I've encountered this "feature" or had it happen on any other amp before. They didn't seem to apply it to the balanced output.
So this is normal and is happening to everyone with the WA11?
Check this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo...eview-head-fi-tv.879132/page-28#post-15003565

Many headphone amps have protection circuits to prevent damage. The 1/4” plug shorts when you plug or unplug it, this is no specific of the WA11, it’s just the way that connector is, so make sure to lower the volume to minimum.

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #437 of 774
I'm using low gain. Most of my headphones get pretty loud on before 9 o'clock. What do you consider ultra-efficient? My HD600 get loud enough with just 1/8 of a turn, and I don't consider them ultra efficient. My Ether C Flow get very loud before the volume pot gets to a reasonable channel balance. I've to lower the volume in Roon to 25 out of 100, and then it works reasonably well, but then the difference in volume between the pot in the middle and the pot at set at max volume is small, most of the gain in volume is in the first 1/4 of a turn. I've only seen that kind of behavior on amps that for some reason use potentiometers with a linear taper instead of a logarithmic taper one, so I guess you decided to use a linear taper potentiometer for some reason. In a previous post you said "WA11 uses a balanced analog potentiometer (TKD Japan). It provides better sound quality over a digital controller." but you set the gain in such way that it's necessary to digitally reduce the volume.

BTW, blaming my headphones for being "Honda Civic"s not worth your 500hp engine is not a polite thing to do.

Your input is likely still running too hot. For IEMs, ideally you want to run the WA11 in line out mode with a DAC that can be set to less than 1.5V on the output end. Cheaper D/A converters often have very high default pre voltage settings because the designer expects you to use them with underpowered amps and speakers. But in this case the amp is overpowered for most IEMs. I use the WA11 on high gain with my IEMs, but my SP1000 set at 0.7V and I feel that the signature is the most coherent in that configuration.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #438 of 774
Your input is likely still running too hot. For IEMs, ideally you want to run the WA11 in line out mode with a DAC that can be set to less than 1.5V on the output end. Cheaper D/A converters often have very high default pre voltage settings because the designer expects you to use them with underpowered amps and speakers. But in this case the amp is overpowered for most IEMs. I use the WA11 on high gain with my IEMs, but my SP1000 set at 0.7V and I feel that the signature is the most coherent in that configuration.
I'm using the internal DAC with full size headphones.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #439 of 774
Anyone find a dust cap for the 6.3mm jack? I see Neutrik has one but looking for something that is as flush as possible to the chassis.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #440 of 774
Please confirm the cable from the link works, after you get it.
BTW, what source are you going to use with this cable and the WA11?

Yes, it works perfectly. The short cable will be good for portable use with my phone. :)

IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG

The cable seems pretty durable with the metal covered all around it, so I'll expect it could take bending well. My phone is almost exactly the size of WA11, so the stack with short cable is quite manageable and easier to handle than the 1m cable.

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #441 of 774
Yes, it works perfectly. The short cable will be good for portable use with my phone. :)

The cable seems pretty durable with the metal covered all around it, so I'll expect it could take bending well. My phone is almost exactly the size of WA11, so the stack with short cable is quite manageable and easier to handle than the 1m cable.

Nice! I am considering getting a cheap transport for the WA11 and thought about getting an Android phone. The idea is I can take the cheap Android phone with me for international travel and not worry about theft. I would use my iPhone, but it doesn't support micro SD card.

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #442 of 774
Nice! I am considering getting a cheap transport for the WA11 and thought about getting an Android phone. The idea is I can take the cheap Android phone with me for international travel and not worry about theft. I would use my iPhone, but it doesn't support micro SD card.
I got the same idea and got a Moto G7, main issue is that I cannot disable the Dolby audio thing, but if you use an app that can bypass that like the Onkyo one then it’s fine.

Jun 19, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #443 of 774
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #444 of 774
WA11 uses a balanced analog potentiometer (TKD Japan). It provides better sound quality over a digital controller. The $8500 Sony DMP-Z1 also use a balanced analog potentiometer (RK50 Japan).

When using audio equipments with a true analog output, it is a good practice to set the volume to zero before disconnecting the load (in this case, the headphone) to avoid shorting the analog circuit. This is essential when using home Hi-Fi systems. We implemented a protection circuit so the WA11 wouldn't be damaged if the user forgets. On the DMP-Z1, Sony added a mute circuit and displays a message on the screen notifying the user to turn the volume knob to zero and press the "clear" button or the amp will not re-engage. For WA11, obviously there is no display to tell the user how to reset. Just simply connect the unit to AC power with the supplied cable and charger and it will reset.

To avoid shorting the WA11, simply turn the volume to zero (lowest level) before disconnecting or connecting your headphone. Again, this is good practice for all audio equipments.

The store owner and I both thought it was a fault and I returned it. So potentially you'll be getting retailers not aware of the automatic shut-off thinking it's a fault. Just FYI.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #445 of 774
I also use Android phone as my music player leaving iPhone for my day to day tasks. The new Samsung A Series is beautiful and low price. Look at that all-screen Super AMOLED display!

USB-C, up to 512GB SC card support and it's a Sammy so you know the build quality is good.

https://www.samsung.com/levant/smartphones/galaxy-a50-a505/SM-A505FZKCMID/

Good find! I completely forgot about DLNA while thinking about transport. I connected my iPhone XS Max with the CCK and used a DLNA app to stream hi res from my Synology NAS. It works great so I think my transport issue is solved since I can have lossless streaming via cell data or wifi. Just wish there was a cleaner cable solution, but at least the length of the CCK and short USB C cable allows me to orient my iPhone with lightning port on the same end as the headphone output of the WA11 which is what I prefer. Oh well, a USB-C version of iPhone is probably on the short horizon anyway.

You're right though, large screen on smartphones sure make for a better UI experience than any DAP.

Note for iOS users, the later versions of iOS requires that you unlock your phone in order for external USB device to work with CCK. Yes, this means when you connect while unlocked, you must lock your phone, then unlock it again. This new unlock requirement is an extra security measure that prevents external hacking tools via CCK. Annoying but understandable.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #446 of 774
I think Hiby or Cayin DAP with support for DTA could be a good choice, as that will bypass any upsampling done by the usual Android phone when using streaming app like Qobuz.

UAPP can play Qobuz, but it couldn't download and play offline like the official app.

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #447 of 774
This is a very pleasant surprise! I purchased one of these non-MFi lightning cable some time back:

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/usb-cable/cozoy-lightningtype-c-to-micro-usb-cable.html

It stopped working about a year ago and I assumed it was blacklisted by an Apple iOS update. I still kept it and last night tried it with my iPhone and WA11 using one of my micro usb to USB C adapters. And it worked! My iPhone is running latest iOS 12.3.1. It even worked with my WM1z in DAC mode LOL.

Thought I would share if anyone needs a short lightning OTG cable. However since it is not MFi certified, no guarantee it will keep working on future iOS releases.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #448 of 774
My WA11 Impressions

Gear - Sony NW-WM1z (K Mod Ultimate) for analog input, iPhone XS Max for digital input, Focal Utopia and Sennheiser HD820

Background

My primary reason to get the WA11 was for the HD820. My WM1z can drive the HD820 fine volume wise, but it just can't give the full experience like a desktop power amp can do. I wanted a portable solution so I can sit anywhere in the house and also take with me abroad. I was also curious to figure out why my Utopias sounded a little warmer from my WM1z versus my desktop setup.

Fit and Finish

I've been a fan of Woo Audio since I first owned the WA7 + TP. The quality of the materials, design, and finish have always been at the top. The WA8 was no exception and I thought it was one of the best pairings for my Utopias. The WA11 carries on Woo Audio's reputation. While one can see the paper specs for weight and dimensions, you really need to hold this in hand to feel the quality. I found it a lot smaller than what I was expecting and was pleasantly surprised at how light it was compared to WA8, making for a good portable package.

Note on IEMs

Both of my IEMs in my sig are not particular sensitive, but I found the background to be silent and with the right amount of input level, a pretty usable volume range at low gain. I don't intend to use the WA11 with IEMs because I am perfectly satisfied with my WM1z. I will just briefly say that both my IEMs sound fine. This is also the first Woo Audio amp that pairs well with my JH Laylas which I've found to be a very picky IEM for amping.

Note on Output Volume

If you want to hear what the full output capability is for the WA11, use it in DAC mode at 100% volume (if your source allows for volume, otherwise it will default to 100%). I was amazed at how much power the WA11 puts out. My HD820 was telling me "no mas!" at around a quarter turn in high gain. The Senns are not particularly difficult to drive given their efficiency so here is an important note. I would highly recommend whatever source you plan to use - you must have a variable output whether it be analog or digital. I found the volume control to proportionally adjust to input levels so if you want to fine tune the volume control to give you a good balance of travel to volume level, you got to have a variable input.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. Using the WA11 DAC and 100% input volume, I can't even use my HD820 in high gain much past a quarter turn. But when I set to lo gain, I just get ok volume even at full turn. When I use my iPhone as the digital source it does allow me to adjust input volume so at around 80%, I can listen to my HD820 at high gain with my preferred volume right around half volume turn which is ideal.

If you are using analog input, I would also recommend a balanced level north of 2V. I'm not sure what the WM1z voltage levels are but I found high balanced output at 100-110 out of 120 volume level to be ideal for my gear. On normal gain, the volume level was too low on WA11. With all my head gear, 100 on my WM1z was optimal since I could listen to IEMs on low gain with decent amount of volume travel and both Utopias and HD820 played nicely at high output.

Note on WM1z

I found the analog out via balance on high gain to be a great source. While there is a long running dogma against "double amping", the Sony line of DAPs that use the S-Master digital amp do not have a separate analog headphone amp circuit. This is similar to Chord's FPGA architecture. Basically the S-Master digital amp is a variable line out. Having said that, I don't really see a problem using headphone outputs from the latest DAPs either because all of them measure very low in terms of distortion and the high impedance input of the WA11 basically creates a no load condition which is the optimal point of measurements. In fact if your DAP has audible noise, WA11 will probably clean that up.

Sound (Using WM1z analog input)

Overall, I would say the WA11 is a balanced sound that does not emphasize or diminish any particular frequency range. I would not call it "just a wire with gain" either. The sound is organic, full, with great extensions both low and high. It's not going to change the characteristics of your source except for an exceptionally low noise floor. You will also benefit by giving all the power and speed your headphones want so you get the full experience. In brief, if you want a portable amp for full size headphones, WA11 should be one of your top choices to audition with or without using the built in DAC (more on this later).

Bass - As I noted at the beginning I observed a warmer lower mid on the Utopias playing straight from my WM1z. At first, I thought this was good as Utopias are not known to be warm. However, over time, I thought that created an ever-so-slight veil between high bass and lower mids. With the WA11, that warmth disappeared and the bass became noticeably faster and cleaner with no bleed into the lower mids. I also find the lowest sub bass frequencies to be stronger as the physical sensation of the lowest notes can be felt in my chest. It seems even the Utopia benefits from the extra power. As for the HD820, really no contest against the WM1z. I would say WA11 is really close to my desktop amp for the HD820.

Mids - I find mids to be a good balance of weight, but not too forward. The transition from upper mids to lower treble is nice and clean. Using my Utopias, I'm hearing slightly better separation in instruments thru the WA11 instead of direct from my WM1z. It's more noticeable on more complex recordings.

Highs - A great combination of extension without sharpness or glare. Good air and separation, but not Chord level air which I find a little too sterile. Not a whole lot of difference compared to straight out of WM1z.

WA11 DAC versus WM1z Analog Input

Using my Utopias straight from WM1z, then analog out into WA11, then WA11 stand along DAC here are my impressions. Overall tonality and timbre are pretty close across the board. What I do find different is in the lower mids to upper bass. For anyone who want's to really hear what "low end speed" sounds like, I find Basia's "Cruising for a Bruising" track to really highlight this quality. If the bass is more liquid instead of punchy and/or the transition from upper bass to lower mids is not clean, the tempo of the track will sound noticeably slower.

Slowest (Purely for baseline) - WM1z stand alone, Faster - WM1z analog out to WA11, Fastest (by a nose) - WA11 stand alone. The "correct" speed comes down to personal preference and also the rest of your chain but my preference is the middle but I would be fine with just the WA11 too. As for the rest of the spectrum, I think the WA11 DAC gives a slight more edge to the highs, but it's not noticeable to my ears with every track so can't really be sure plus I think it's more related to transients than tone. If I had to guess, I think Woo Audio has opted for a minimum phase filter for the DAC - more accurate, but a touch leaner in the lower frequencies. But I also can't discount the mediocre to poor quality of the USB digital feed coming out of the iPhone.

At the end of the day, I will likely keep using the WM1z as the analog source because that allows me to use all of the features and DSP options built into the WM1z. However, I plan to try a cheap smartphone or DAP as a digital transport because WM1z + WA11 essentially becomes a desktop by weight LOL.

Last Words

At the moment, the only headphones I have that require the WA11 for portable use are the HD820. Utopias do sound better as noted above, but no so much better that I am willing to go through the hassle of lugging around the WA11 in tow. However, I plan on keeping the WA11 for a long time since I don't know what future headphones I will acquire. I'm 99% sure whatever my future headphones will be, WA11 will drive them just fine.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #450 of 774
I have just returned from SoCal Can Jam and tried the WA11 with my WM1z, at first I was using Woo’s iPad with a Kimber USBc out to USBc input, I am an iems guy so I had with me the Jomo Trinity, Sony Z1R, and the JVC 10000 on hand for the audition. On the WA11 the power setting is set to Low gain. All three pairs of iems are not considered sensitive. The volume pot on the WA11 starting position is 6 O’clock. On digital out of the IPad, I am able to turn them up to eight to ten O’clock range depending on recording level. Then Jack provided me with a Kimber 4.4 to 4.4 interconnection from headphone out of my WM1z to 4.4 line in of the WA11. Under this setting, my WM1z is set to high gain, 4.4 balance out and volume pot is at 120/120. I was very surprised that I can turn the volume on the WA11 to 1 to 2 O’clock range. I do not know why, when I ask Jack about this, he said that may be WA11 is giving pure power so it can give out more power.

As far as the sound is concern, I am not going to give details impressions as that is a show audition. I thought my initial impression is positive with the exception of the sound stage. I had thought of the sound stage is just average and not larger than my 1Z. But I could be off with further testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back