Woo audio GES vs HeadAmp KGSS.
Dec 9, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last I heard they are all sold so Justin go make some more.
icon10.gif

I would not be surprised if they are all pre-ordered now.
Cause its been 1 month since last time I emailed Justin, where he told me that he had decided to build tree more units. To a total of 13.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea on the cost of the new model relative to the current ones?

If anything the new KGSS will be more expensive. Justin said around 1.5-2k.

KGST will be under 3k and the KGBH will be as expensive as you want it to be
cool.gif

I'm only aiming for the KGSS, but might consider Elephas's or a KGST depending on the state of my piggy bank (and also whether Elephas will sell his when the ES-1 arrives).
biggrin.gif

The Woo GES is obviously another solid alternative, but I am a bit reluctant to purchase a point-to-point wired amp that's going to be thrown around during transit across the ocean. I much prefer HeadAmp's hand populated circuit boards which I imagine would take more rough handling. Any thoughts on this?

Dec 9, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #18 of 64
Point to point can take a lot of beating if it is done properly like Woo for instance. That isn't the case with SP but I think you can have a PCB version of the ES-1. Wire will always sound better then PCB's if it is done properly but PCB's are cheaper, easier there is almost no chance of errors.

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo GES is obviously another solid alternative, but I am a bit reluctant to purchase a point-to-point wired amp that's going to be thrown around during transit across the ocean. I much prefer HeadAmp's hand populated circuit boards which I imagine would take more rough handling. Any thoughts on this?

If packing and shipment across the ocean is your prime concern, than you can trust Woo Audio. I ordered my Woo Audio 5 and have it shipped from New York to Hong Kong. It comes in two separate customed fitted wooden crate, with foam padding inside, and special locking bar to fix the amp in position during transit. This is one of the most professional packing I have seen for a headphone amp (which weighs over 80 lbs). Yes, it is going to cost you more money, but this is money well spent.

The amp arrives well protected and in pristine condition.

F. Lo

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 64
Thanks guys.

3x331m, be sure to report back with a ton of pictures and impressions when the GES arrives. I've spoken to owners and they seem to think it is a terrific amp. I heard it works well with the HE60 too.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Thanks guys.

3x331m, be sure to report back with a ton of pictures and impressions when the GES arrives. I've spoken to owners and they seem to think it is a terrific amp. I heard it works well with the HE60 too.

I received my GES today, but unfortunately, my O2 package was lost yesterday. I expected to have my O2 yesterday. However, the USPS tracking shows that it was delivered to another address 5 miles away....
mad.gif
I hope that it's not stolen.
frown.gif

So far, I'm really impressed with the chassis design, material, and construction quality. The amp is solidly built with full anodized aluminum and gold plated RCA jacks. I would not worry about this amp going oversea if it has proper packaging. This particular unit also has the jack for Senn HE series. I'm so tempted...
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 64
I'm glad you are liking your new toy to the extent you can wo/ your other new toy (Omegas). While I haven't seen the GES, I wanted to even more strongly reassure anyone worried about shipping an amp using point-to-point wiring. Unless something is rolling around loose to knock wires (which would be a problem with an amp using pcbs), the p-2-p wiring connections should be just as rugged as the pcb-wired amp assuming that the person doing the soldering is making basic, competent solder joints. If they aren't, you're going to have problems w/ sq or eventual failure anyway.

Hopefully, you can arrange a shootout review in the near future for the rest of our edification. Happy listening!

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Point to point can take a lot of beating if it is done properly like Woo for instance. That isn't the case with SP but I think you can have a PCB version of the ES-1. Wire will always sound better then PCB's if it is done properly but PCB's are cheaper, easier there is almost no chance of errors.

I believe the SP point to point is also very solid. My SDS-SE and ES-1 are all point to point wiring and I have no issue so far. My SDS was the first one built back in 2003 and I've been using it for over 10000 hours so far with out any problem. It survived two rounds of ground shipping from GA to CO with out any problem. In 2006, Mikhail brought over the SDS-XLR and its point to point wiring was nothing short of amazing. Spritzer, have you seen SP amps in person as they are very well built. The Woo Audio 5 that I auditioned earlier was also very well build.

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkm365 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you are liking your new toy to the extent you can wo/ your other new toy (Omegas). While I haven't seen the GES, I wanted to even more strongly reassure anyone worried about shipping an amp using point-to-point wiring. Unless something is rolling around loose to knock wires (which would be a problem with an amp using pcbs), the p-2-p wiring connections should be just as rugged as the pcb-wired amp assuming that the person doing the soldering is making basic, competent solder joints. If they aren't, you're going to have problems w/ sq or eventual failure anyway.

Hopefully, you can arrange a shootout review in the near future for the rest of our edification. Happy listening!

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the SP point to point is also very solid. My SDS-SE and ES-1 are all point to point wiring and I have no issue so far. My SDS was the first one built back in 2003 and I've been using it for over 10000 hours so far with out any problem. It survived two rounds of ground shipping from GA to CO with out any problem. In 2006, Mikhail brought over the SDS-XLR and its point to point wiring was nothing short of amazing. Spritzer, have you seen SP amps in person as they are very well built. The Woo Audio 5 that I auditioned earlier was also very well build.

I think p2p solding is very good if done professionally. I actually prefer p2p for ease of mods and upgrades
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Hope you're enjoying it. Now get a KGSS and write us a review
tongue.gif

I don't think I'm going after the KGSS after all. I'm happy with the GES.
biggrin.gif

The GES gave me just what I needed.... the liquidity of a good tube amp. The stock EH 12ax7 tubes are the bottle necks of the system. I swapped them out for a quad of NOS GE 5751, and I was surprised how they made the differences in sound stage, transparency, imaging, and specially significant lower noise floor. The clarity and resolution is also greatly improved by the GE 5751.

I know that a quad of NOS is not pocket change. However, if you want the most out of the GES, the first thing you can do is to roll the stock 12ax7 tubes for something more desirable.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 64
A friend of mine, ran his OII and HE60 with GES and he had a experience of running 007t with those two headphones.
He liked 007t very much and also liked GES very much too. He thought that GES is better than 007t but not to a big extent.

Dec 30, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that a stock GES would be close to the 007t but put in some Mullard tubes, V-Caps, better resistors, wiring and jacks and it will be a different matter. It will cost a fortune though and will land you in BH territory.

Then improve the SRM-007t on the same areas and compare.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then improve the SRM-007t on the same areas and compare.
wink.gif

That's tough to pull off due to space limitations. There simply isn't enough space for monster caps though I think some adapters and 6S4 tubes might be a positive change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back