Woo audio GES vs HeadAmp KGSS.
Jan 3, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #46 of 64
I would look into getting KGSS and SR-007 if I ever get promoted at work, a pay rise is not enough.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think amps will take a leap forward this year and I sure do intend to do my part leaving dynamics in the dirt where they belong.

The SR-007 is the best headphone ever produced so I see no point in trying to match it...
biggrin.gif

Spritzer, since its obvious that you have tremendous knowledge on the electrostatic headphone system can you explain to me the main differences between dynamic and electrostatic variants as concerns SQ? In other words what do these different topologies do to the sound or its portrayal of sound?

May 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, since its obvious that you have tremendous knowledge on the electrostatic headphone system can you explain to me the main differences between dynamic and electrostatic variants as concerns SQ? In other words what do these different topologies do to the sound or its portrayal of sound?

Ehhh that is a rater big question and it's tough to answer. In short the presentation is different and each technique has it's own strengths and weaknesses, most of which have to do with excursion, driving force and effective mass of the drivers. Describing the sound is nigh on impossible but with dynamics you are always aware that there is a moving coil playing something for you but with planar drivers it's as if the sound comes out of thin air. That's not to say you forget about the phones or such nonsense but the sound just hangs there for you.

May 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not to say you forget about the phones or such nonsense but the sound just hangs there for you.

Thank You. This is very interesting about the sound being fixed in an x, y space.
I am so tempted to purchase the 007s plus the new KGSS when it comes out. I simply must have a listen to these at a shop though before I commit myself.

May 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You. This is very interesting about the sound being fixed in an x, y space.
I am so tempted to purchase the 007s plus the new KGSS when it comes out. I simply must have a listen to these at a shop though before I commit myself.

It's a big investment so please try them before you buy.

May 13, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #53 of 64
first the Blue Hawaii SE then Justin will bring out the KGST a Hybrid by probably the end of the year...then Justin told me the new KGSS by sometime a year from now...do not know at all what the new changes will be.

and be looking out for what ray samuels may put out

May 14, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys stop buying them silly Picos, it could be tomorrow
wink.gif

I like that.
icon10.gif

May 14, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first the Blue Hawaii SE then Justin will bring out the KGST a Hybrid by probably the end of the year...then Justin told me the new KGSS by sometime a year from now...do not know at all what the new changes will be.

Don't forget the portable electrostatic amplifier, like a mini-KGSS.
Justin have told me that he will design and build one, with a built in DAC. No time frame though.

He is quite busy!
wink.gif

May 14, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #59 of 64
Oops.
redface.gif
Thought it was "solid-state tube"

Will it still be 2x6s4 per channel?

One more thing:
Back in 2005, Kevin Gilmore also mentioned a balanced all tube design based on six 12ax7 and four 6s4. Do you know if the designs have been completed yet?

May 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the portable electrostatic amplifier, like a mini-KGSS.
Justin have told me that he will design and build one, with a built in DAC. No time frame though.

He is quite busy!
wink.gif

A portable electrostatic amplifier??? Now if only Stax would release portable(mini) 007s we are in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back