Woo Audio 6 PDPS Photos and Tuberolling! Impressions
Feb 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From where? I could not find it on their site. Please help.

You gotta email Jack directly. $110 for stock, $130 with Blackgates.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #78 of 94
Ok, a quick question here:

I have a stock Woo6 (no upgrades at all) and I thought the only tubes I could roll were the standard 6DE7 or the 6EW7 but I am reading that a lot of folks are rolling many other tubes.

Is this a function of the upgrades or can these tubes also be used with my stock amp?

Thanks guys.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, a quick question here:

I have a stock Woo6 (no upgrades at all) and I thought the only tubes I could roll were the standard 6DE7 or the 6EW7 but I am reading that a lot of folks are rolling many other tubes.

Is this a function of the upgrades or can these tubes also be used with my stock amp?

Thanks guys.

these can be used on all wa6, stock and upgraded:

6DE7, 6EW7, 6CY7, 6DR7, 6FD7

the following will require a re-wired adapter:

6CG7, 6FQ7, 6GU7, 6AQ8, 6BZ7, 6CS7, 6922, 7308, 6SN7, 6DA7A

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #80 of 94
All of these output tubes can be used with the stock WA6 amp, provided that you have the adequate sized opening for the tube for those tubes that are "fat" shaped.

You can find thin 6ew7, 6fd7 and 6cy7 tubes which should fit on the older WA6. The fat version of the output tubes will require an adaptor. The newer WA6SE has wider tube openings to accomodate for the fat tubes.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #81 of 94
Does the newer WA6 also have fat openings to accomodate fat tubes?

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the newer WA6 also have fat openings to accomodate fat tubes?

Yes, they have large openings.

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My EXTREME MAXED WA6 is due to arrive middle of next week and can't wait to burn it for 600 hours. Searching everywhere for alternative tubes now. Hope that the amp will do justice for my K702.

I think the 4 most popular tubes are: 6DE7, 6EW7, 6FD7 and 6CY7.

My personal favorite is GE 6DE7 at the moment. Great dynamics and impact.
United fat 6EW7 are more spacious with slightly more bass accentuation.
RCA 6FD7 are somewhat in between, but I've not given them enough time for a firm opinion.

Did you buy Brighten's amp by any chance?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #85 of 94
Mine got stuck at the customs today.. They demanded XTRA money now..

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ARGHHHHHHHH!
My amp is stuck in Post Office limbo!
Gave them a call a couple of minutes ago.
They are trying to find it!

018fryargheo9.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #86 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine got stuck at the customs today.. They demanded XTRA money now..

It will probably show up with that 12BH7 RCA,!!!
wink_face.gif

May 22, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #87 of 94
For me, the RCA 6DE7s win handily over the RCA 6EW7s, which sounds muck less exacting, especially in the bass. After a recent significant upgrade to a APS V3 cable for my HD650s (WOW!) I recently retried the 6EW7s, but the same criticism remains. I also retried the 5V4GA GE rectifier instead of the Sophia, but no contest; indistinct across the spectrum by comparison. The Sophia is an amazing tube.

I just ordered GE 6DE7s to try, along with some Sylvania 6FD7s. I hope I get 'em before CanJam.

My setup is really very, very good as is, but one is always curious to push to the limit. I have audio grade fuses coming any day now. It is so resolving that it is very easy to hear differences among these headphone cables, tubes, power cables, and interconnects. However the APS V3 cable was about as big a positive leap as the the tube upgrades. It transformed the balance and resolution of the 'phones through this rig.

Anyone in this thread going to be at CanJam? Jack will be there. I am considering at least bringing my rig in the car (I live 50 miles away) in case there is extra space inside and anyone wants to hear it.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #88 of 94
Follow-up: I got both top-getter and later-model side-getter fat-bottle Sylvania 6FD7's in, and the top-getters are something else indeed. A much bigger, more-well-foundationed sound than the 6DE7s. Very balanced with deep but un-bloated bass while retaining very good detail. I highly encourage trying these tubes. These are the ones I used at CanJam and many people who listened found the sound to be very, very good. We tried changing back to the 6de7s, but it now sounded thin and top-end tilted. Keep in mind that this is with APS V3 cabled 650s; with the original cable, I would expect this combo to be more bottom-heavy. I think that my findings corroborate the determination by the OP, even though these are a different brand, and I prefer the top-getter.

An additional benefit is increased gain, as the same volume is obtained with the knob backed off by about 3 or 4 clicks. The side-getters are good, but not in the same league as the top-getters sound wise. I ordered two more matched pairs for posterity, they are that good!

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #90 of 94
One more thing: I had replaced the 3A fuse with an IsoClean with subtle but nice results. Smoother top end with the Senns, without the initial small bite one can hear on some higher notes otherwise. Try it! The orientation is important (don't laugh) and can be determined by checking one side of the fuse holder for continuity with one of the IEC blades. (Ask if interested).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back