Woo Audio 3 v Woo Audio 6
Nov 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been reading through the various threads on the Woo Audio amps but haven't been able to get a clear idea of the difference in the sound sigs of these two amps. I will be using the amp with my Koss A250s, they are very bright and super fast headphones (which I love) I have always wanted to pair them with a nice warm tube amp.

So am wondering which of these two will be the warmest and most liquid? I will go with upgarded tubes whichever amp I get.

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Spot on. The A250 are 60 ohm - they will be much better suited for the WA6.

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I would think with the lower impedance and easy to drive (relatively) Koss cans, the Woo 6 would be the better choice.

Thanks for the replies, could ask you to just expand a little. What is the problem with the WA3 with lower impedance phones?
Also, is the WA6 still gonna give me the warm liquid tube magic?

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 9
This topic has been covered extensively in other threads, and it takes a bit to explain it. The short version is that the WA3 is output transformer less, and as such will have a high-ish output impedance. This will result in a less than ideal electrical match with a low impedance headphone. The WA6 is transformer coupled, and as such has a lower output impedance as the transformer dictates the impedance, rather than the output tubes themselves. This makes it a better electrical match for low impedance headphones.

You can tube roll quite a bit with a WA6 to get a sound you like. I use a WA6 almost every day and really enjoy it.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 9
To supplement Skylab's comment, see post #9 in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/388373/can-someone-explain-what-otl-means

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 9
I can echo the tube rolling bit of Skylab's post. I started with the stock tubes on the WA6, but immediately went to a Sophia Princess and it drastically warmed up my sound. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 9
IMO Sophia Princess actually isn't the tube to go after if your primary concern is warmth.  It does add a bit of bass extension but also tend to be quite bright and the main benefit is soundstage from my experience.  I'd think one would have much better luck with a 5AR4/CV34 or something like EML 5U4G if you're looking to warm it up slightly.  Driver tubes play a big role as well of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back