WOO Audio 3+ experience
Jan 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #181 of 190
I picked up a WA3 recently -- sustained some pretty serious damage in shipping but after several hours of hard soldering I've managed to get it working while waiting on new parts from Woo. Have tried 60s BBs, Telefunkens and, maybe sweetest of all, my beloved Miniwatt SQs alongside the Tung-Sol 5998. It's a surprisingly confident and even grippy amp with higher-imedance phones, very satisfying, and I love the form factor.

best,

o

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #182 of 190
I finally managed to enjoy a 6AS7G as power tube for my WA3!
I have 4 of these tubes, and all of them were humming in my amp: some of them on the right channel, some on the left.
But yesterday I read in a different thread about cleaning tubes with wire brush...I tried that with a Chatham 6AS7G, and then applied deoxit..and bingo! No hum :)  I'll use it for a few days and then post my impressions. I also have a pair of Mullard CV2492 coming next week.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #183 of 190
...and the CV2492 arrived yesterday.
I got them used (and cheap) on ebay, but I actually have no idea how much have been used. Compared to the Black Sable they glow less.
As for the sound, in the first few hours I though they sounded pretty similar, I haven't noticed major changes in soundstage and timbre. But today I put the Black Sable back in and everything sounded dull and flat. So, Mullard back in, and I realized the differences: highs are cleaner, with better extension, mid bass slightly bloated, but attacks are faster, with better dynamics...I think overall they may lead to more listening fatigue, but they're funnier!

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #185 of 190
*Bump* to this thread. An interesting read.

I am a new owner of the WA3, and enjoying it so far. Still breaking-in, with the standard-issue tubes. I have been using the Beyer T1's and Senn HD650's. My goal was to get an amp that would cut the brightness of the otherwise excellent T1's a bit. (The 650's sound geat with the WA3). Mostly, I like what I'm hearing, save for some high-pitched hum (not uncommon, eh?). The T1's are lovely, but I think I should be able to get it a little smoother and relaxed up top. Any new insights/recs from WA3 owners in this regard? What would you say is the overall smoothest tube combo?

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #186 of 190
Amperex 7308's (also called E188CC's) are a bit pricey these days but are nice and smooth up top if you can find a reasonable deal on a pair.  With a TS 5998 in the rear, this is an excellent tube combo in the WA3 to my ears.

I can't say that I've ever observed any high pitched hum with my WA3, but I did have an interesting experience with a pair of 6922 PQ's that had a ghastly intermittent buzz.  Turned out that I couldn't have my cordless phone or base anywhere near them.  My 7308's, by contrast, are apparently impervious to the frequencies transmitted by this phone.

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #187 of 190

Quote:
Amperex 7308's (also called E188CC's) are a bit pricey these days but are nice and smooth up top if you can find a reasonable deal on a pair.  With a TS 5998 in the rear, this is an excellent tube combo in the WA3 to my ears.

I can't say that I've ever observed any high pitched hum with my WA3, but I did have an interesting experience with a pair of 6922 PQ's that had a ghastly intermittent buzz.  Turned out that I couldn't have my cordless phone or base anywhere near them.  My 7308's, by contrast, are apparently impervious to the frequencies transmitted by this phone.

Thanks for the response. I'll be looking into those down the road.

Speaking of another headphone: does anyone here have experience with the WA3 driving the Denon D7000's? I know it's considered not ideal, what with the impedance mismatch. But I'm wondering if there is a tube combo that would bring out the best that is possible with this pairing.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #188 of 190
It's been approximately a year now since I picked up both the WA3 and the WA6. (The WA3 with the Beyer T1's and the WA6 with the Denon D7000's). Still enjoying both quite a bit. Has everyone else still been enjoying their WA3? Anyone scale up to the WA2 or some other amp(s)? I look forward to upgrading eventually, but still impressed with what Woo does even at the entry level.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #189 of 190
Does anyone have any Denon Dx000 impressions of this amp? I tried it for 10min at a head-fi meet years ago with my d2k's and it blew me away. I wonder with my new 5k's if a W3 would be a clear and musical upgrade from my Asgard.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #190 of 190
Quote:
Does anyone have any Denon Dx000 impressions of this amp? I tried it for 10min at a head-fi meet years ago with my d2k's and it blew me away. I wonder with my new 5k's if a W3 would be a clear and musical upgrade from my Asgard.

Not recommended, IMO. With my D7000's at least, they sound at about half of their potential. On the other hand, I love the Denon's through the Woo WA6. More alive/dynamic, but still very refined and relaxed. Likely the topology and impedance are factors. I have no experience with the Asgard though. From what I've read it sounds like a Woo would be a step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back