Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jul 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #496 of 947
I think I'll just see how it goes and buy if needed :p
Just need to wait for work to pay for the GS3 and happy days!

Quote:

i'd say with the quads it just depends on the quality of the source more than the amplifier.  idk how much difference the DACs have between the stock s3 in detail reveal.  who knows how great the amp is in terms of muddying up the sound as well, so you might see an improvement, but I have little experience with portable gear so I wouldn't be able to say how much with any particular product besides the e7 which I owned for a short while.  I think the e7 would be better than the stock DAC of the US galaxy anyway though.  No idea about the wolfson.

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #501 of 947
I got the S3 the other day and hooked it up to the E17. It sounds ALMOST as good as the FiiO's built in DAC. So, it sounds really, really good. 
basshead.gif

Here's the album gallery of these pic for easier viewing.
http://imgur.com/a/NNWJf

I will be getting a UTG USB cable soon. Since I have CM10 (Jelly Bean) running on this thing, I should be able to use USB audio on the S3 and run a digital stream to the FiiO's DAC. 

/excited

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #503 of 947
Quote:
Why? The S3 DAC is already top notch. It's the rest inside you need to bypass.

Probably because the power is limited a lot on the phone.  Also, the U.S. variants have a crummy DAC.  Even with Voodoo Sound, I would probably use the Fiio E17 if wasn't going to cause a problem with portability.  I certainly prefer Voodoo + E17 compared to just Voodoo on my Galaxy S.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #504 of 947
Quote:
Anyone compared this to ipod/iphone by the way? The iPhone 4 sounds high-end, but I'm more into Android overall so if S3 can match the iphone I'll buy it in a heartbeat :wink:

If you search this thread there has been two comparrisons between the iPhone 4...one from myself, in short you should go grab a GS3 as IMO it sounds better and this is without Voodoo! 

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #505 of 947
Quote:

Probably because the power is limited a lot on the phone.  Also, the U.S. variants have a crummy DAC.  Even with Voodoo Sound, I would probably use the Fiio E17 if wasn't going to cause a problem with portability.  I certainly prefer Voodoo + E17 compared to just Voodoo on my Galaxy S.

Thought the DACs on all of them was the same, feel bad for U.S. users :p 

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #507 of 947
You won't regret it, this phone is just amazing. I'm running 4.1 with cyanogen cm10 and the hardware in combination with the OS is miles ahead of anything else out there.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #508 of 947
I don't mind not having the wolfson.  Having compatibility with an external DAC is a really great thing to have.  I'd much rather have the option to upgrade or change between sound signatures to suit my preferences.  My stock S3 does sound quite good though.  I have the verizon s3 i9300.  I personally like it a lot better than the iphone 4 I had that was stolen.  The android OS is much, much more suited to me, and has a lot of nice refinements in its advanced features that ios did not have.  Not to say ios is bad or whatever, but I'm getting much more enjoyment out of my s3 than i ever did from my iphone 4.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #509 of 947
Quote: Originally Posted by danny93  IMO it sounds better and this is without Voodoo!    (Placed S3 order)   :wink:

If you want to reach the full potential of the phone the throw on a custom ROM,

IMO this is the best, and it had all the features of the stock ROM plus loads more, battery Is superb!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1708371

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #510 of 947
Quote:
I got the S3 the other day and hooked it up to the E17. It sounds ALMOST as good as the FiiO's built in DAC. So, it sounds really, really good. 
basshead.gif

Here's the album gallery of these pic for easier viewing.
http://imgur.com/a/NNWJf

I will be getting a UTG USB cable soon. Since I have CM10 (Jelly Bean) running on this thing, I should be able to use USB audio on the S3 and run a digital stream to the FiiO's DAC. 

/excited

Actually the Jelly Bean USB audio implementation is NOT standard and doesn't work with any DACs that I'm aware of (my Nexus 7 failed with the E7 and E17). The S3 on the other hand works with many DACs out of the box, using CM10 you may well have broken that facility unless they preserved the Samsung-provided USB audio method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back