Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #331 of 947
Quote:

To my ear the E7 sounds clearly better than the iPhone, although not dramatically. I'm using slightly higher impedance headphones in the HD25-1 II and ACS-T15 though, so the extra output from the E7 probably makes quite a difference there.

When i amp the iPhone i can notice an improvement. But it's so slight that i can only hear it on direct comparions hence i don't deem it as dramatic. Seems that on the S3 the difference will be bigger.

Does the S3 have line out port?

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #332 of 947
Quote:

Will you be using that portably...as that will be a brick! I am even contemplating if the Digizoid ZO2 and the S3 is too big to take out LOL 

+1 SQ is great from HP out...from memory I cant see the Fiio E7 being much better and it will turn it into a brick!

The output from the E7 is dramatically better to my ear, night and day difference.

The internal Wolfson DAC is exciting, but unfortunately without Voodoo Sound it isn't up to that much, which is why USB audio is exciting right now (it's nice to know that regardless of whether Voodoo Sound is great or not I'll have good output from the S3 and be able to drive my less sensitive headphones from it).

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #333 of 947
Quote:
The output from the E7 is dramatically better to my ear, night and day difference.

The internal Wolfson DAC is exciting, but unfortunately without Voodoo Sound it isn't up to that much, which is why USB audio is exciting right now (it's nice to know that regardless of whether Voodoo Sound is great or not I'll have good output from the S3 and be able to drive my less sensitive headphones from it).

Fair enough...

Is there any ETA of when Voodoo will be out, and is he also working on the Displayexpert aswel as I used that im my S2 and it was great! 

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #334 of 947
Quote:
Fair enough...

Is there any ETA of when Voodoo will be out, and is he also working on the Displayexpert aswel as I used that im my S2 and it was great! 

He is working on both :)

He emailed me yesterday to say his plan for today was writing his analysis of the sound at XDA and then releasing a pre-release version of Voodoo Sound the same day. I guess his day hasn't been going that long given the time difference, so hopefully still on track for within the next 24 hours (not sure about ETA for Display Expert).

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #335 of 947
It would be cool if Supercurio can assess the output impedance of the headphone out since it's pure hardware and not subject to be changed by Voodoo.

I'm afraid is gonna bit a bit high and hence the night and day difference with the E7. It's not the dac but the amp what is making the difference.

The S3 i tried sounded good with my UM3x but i could feel that the tonal balance of the earphone was a bit emphasized in the mids (Which given the impedance curve of UM3x leads me to believe that a bit high Z was the culprit).

Just my 0.02

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #336 of 947
Finally got around to a little A/B'ing with my international HOX last night, surprisingly hard to detect much difference in the two actually.

This morning I woke up to read this at Swedroid: http://www.swedroid.se/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-recension/

Interesting to note their RMAA tests are much different to GSMArena's (from their description I think they are applying headphone load better in their methodology than GSMArena?), and also represent what I'm hearing (or not hearing, as the case may be) between the HOX and S3.

Supercurio's input looking to be very important.

...at least for those without compatible USB DACs :) Listened with my E7 last night before going to sleep and lots of spontaneous smiles of enjoyment listening to stuff, always a good sign :)

http://www.swedroid.se/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-recension/

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #337 of 947
Since GSMArena and the site you mentioned both seem to use a pair of headphones with 36 ohms of impedance or so, I think both should represent similar amount of frequency oscillation when the same load is given. Problem is that no matter how I see it, I cannot stop thinking that some devices are affected by EQ although they've turned off the EQ or sound effects before the test, especially for Xperia S. Those spikes seen in Xperia's frequency response graph leave some clues of equalizer bands at 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 6kHz, and 14kHz range.

Plus, given that the impedance is the highest at 80Hz for AKG K420 headphones, I don't get it why the frequency response soars high at high pitches around 20kHz both for HOX and GS3. I guess the rig the author of the review used has a sort of problem and leaves a question there.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #338 of 947
Quote:
Since GSMArena and the site you mentioned both seem to use a pair of headphones with 36 ohms of impedance or so, I think both should represent similar amount of frequency oscillation when the same load is given. Problem is that no matter how I see it, I cannot stop thinking that some devices are affected by EQ although they've turned off the EQ or sound effects before the test, especially for Xperia S. Those spikes seen in Xperia's frequency response graph leave some clues of equalizer bands at 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 6kHz, and 14kHz range.

Plus, given that the impedance is the highest at 80Hz for AKG K420 headphones, I don't get it why the frequency response soars high at high pitches around 20kHz both for HOX and GS3. I guess the rig the author of the review used has a sort of problem and leaves a question there.

Thanks for that! I'm still getting to grips with RMAA results, only grasp enough to know not to place a great deal of stock in them at this stage.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #339 of 947
You know RMAA results are highly subject to measuring rigs, and I guess supercurio has quite a decent one for measurments. (Xonar Essence ST) As long as I know, supercurio is one of those audiophiles with great audio knowledge & programming skills, so let's see what he says about the SQ of GS3. I've heard that SQ was great already, but even improved after tweaks. Glad to hear the voodoo also works like a charm!

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #340 of 947
Quote:
You know RMAA results are highly subject to measuring rigs, and I guess supercurio has quite a decent one for measurments. (Xonar Essence ST) As long as I know, supercurio is one of those audiophiles with great audio knowledge & programming skills, so let's see what he says about the SQ of GS3. I've heard that SQ was great already, but even improved after tweaks. Glad to hear the voodoo also works like a charm!

Yes, I know that much, that's why I said I don't place a great deal of stock in them. Supercurio's input I will value very highly though, including his RMAA readings. Does he use the Xonar Essence ST? Perhaps I should try with my Xonar Essence One?

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #341 of 947
Sadly, I don't see any analog input on Essence One so you can't do some measurements using that sound card 
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #342 of 947
Quote:
Sadly, I don't see any analog input on Essence One so you can't do some measurements using that sound card 
frown.gif

Ah, I see (I'm not at home at present so couldn't easily check on that one, just looked at specs online and it seems you are right).

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #344 of 947
The plots at swedroid remind me than on my cursory listens with my Westone UM3x i tended to prefer the Galaxy Note over the S3. The Note has 3 ohms of output impedance (quite good imo) and i'm almost sure that the S3 has a few more ohms (hence the bump in the bass area).,

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #345 of 947
Would like to try hooking up my S3 to the Antelope Zodiac Gold... If only there is a micro USB - USB Type B cable on the market... But my guess is, even if there is one, it would be no comparison to my Wireworld Platinum Eclipse USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back