Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jun 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #361 of 947
I sold my s2 and Sony walkman z for the s3 and I would recommend you do the same...sure my walkman had slightly better sound but the s3 is a massive step up over the s2 and with the voodoo support that's planned it can only get better!

Plus you have the benefit of the best phone out and only 1 device to carry round!

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #362 of 947
Aside from the audio quality itself, I heard that supercurio is still working on the parametric equalizer as a feature in Voodoo Sound. Since I had a little taste before from an application which utilized WM8994 native EQ filters, it should be as decent as what Wolfson's marketing word "ReTune 5-band parametric equalizer" implies.

Anyway since he's done with measurements, I just can't wait to see how the SQ has improved. Wish he let us see some raw data, or I guess he's writing another masterpiece of review on Anandtech for SGS3.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #365 of 947
Quote:
I sold my s2 and Sony walkman z for the s3 and I would recommend you do the same...sure my walkman had slightly better sound but the s3 is a massive step up over the s2 and with the voodoo support that's planned it can only get better!
Plus you have the benefit of the best phone out and only 1 device to carry round!

Whilst I agree with the above, and whilst this is an audio forum, it would be remiss of me to not point out that until XDA or other ROM sites start coming out with new builds, the version of TouchWiz that the S3 uses is just plain weird when compared to the S2 / Note...

I just can't get used to it, and keep going back to my Note... weird little things like getting lost in the Apps / Home screens as they both hold the same icons, and the widgets, well - they're even more of a mystery to me now :frowning2:

To me, having the Notes iteration of ICS inside the S3 would be just about perfect :) 

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #366 of 947
grr apparently this information about the american galaxy s3 is correct, as I just checked the sprint website and it lists the phone as having the 1.5ghz dual core.  Meh, not as interested now.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #367 of 947
Quote:
grr apparently this information about the american galaxy s3 is correct, as I just checked the sprint website and it lists the phone as having the 1.5ghz dual core.  Meh, not as interested now.

Pretty sure that Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint models in the United States, at least, will all be Krait.  I haven't heard it confirmed yet, but I believe that Krait versions will have the DAC from the Krait SoC, and not the Wolfson DAC.

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #369 of 947
Whilst I agree with the above, and whilst this is an audio forum, it would be remiss of me to not point out that until XDA or other ROM sites start coming out with new builds, the version of TouchWiz that the S3 uses is just plain weird when compared to the S2 / Note...

I just can't get used to it, and keep going back to my Note... weird little things like getting lost in the Apps / Home screens as they both hold the same icons, and the widgets, well - they're even more of a mystery to me now :frowning2:

To me, having the Notes iteration of ICS inside the S3 would be just about perfect :) 

Try this it's a completly stripped down ROM I flashed it last night and seems nice but I like some of the features of touchwiz and there all gone :frowning2:

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #370 of 947
Outside of the launcher UI aspects Samsung add a lot of value with TW in this iteration, to be honest I'd rather have the TW framework stuff and just use an improved-on-stock-but-stock-look launcher like Nova or Apex on the S3.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #371 of 947
The UK bricks and mortar stores really need to get with it - I asked around various stores yesterday if they had any USB OTG cables, and even the 'knowledgable' unlocking shops didn't have a clue what I was on about...

Anyway, ordered a cable from Amazon which turned up this morning, and - rigged up my Fiio E7 - Awesome! :D

...The downside, having read the opinions of those that have had both the E7 and E17 - seems like i'll be ordering an E17 very soon!

Head-Fi needs to come with a warning from the financial services lol!

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #372 of 947
Just got my Archos 101 G9 turbo in and it's interesting to note that while the tablet DOES support the E17, it doesn't support anything above 16/48. According to Archos, they added support for 24/96 DACs a couple firmware updates ago, but the E17 automatically chooses 16/48 and I can't manually force it into 24/96...

Kojaku

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #373 of 947
Quote:
Just got my Archos 101 G9 turbo in and it's interesting to note that while the tablet DOES support the E17, it doesn't support anything above 16/48. According to Archos, they added support for 24/96 DACs a couple firmware updates ago, but the E17 automatically chooses 16/48 and I can't manually force it into 24/96...
Kojaku

Is it working with the E17 on ICS firmwares? For the life of me cannot get it to work with mine, it's either Honeycomb+E17 or ICS without it...

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #374 of 947
NZtechfreak...

Thankfully I read your blog, so am not going to get the E17, but have ordered the Fiio L7 adapter, so when that comes tomorrow my setup will be SGS3>Fiio E7>Fiio L7>Graham Slee Voyager>Monster Trumpets

Even without the L7, just running from the E7s headphone out into the Voyager, this is starting to sound like a really sick combination... not exactly compact though lol

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #375 of 947
Is it working with the E17 on ICS firmwares? For the life of me cannot get it to work with mine, it's either Honeycomb+E17 or ICS without it...

Really? Hm....I dunno. I tried it right out of the box then got busy updating so I never got back to it. That really sucks if it doesn't work...that's kind of why I bought the tablet...

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back