Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jun 1, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #287 of 947
Quote:
Got it today. I have a bunch of high end portable amps and DACs but the sound of the S3 straight out to my Westone ES5 is pretty amazing. I had the iPhone 4 and now have the iPhone 4S. I also  have the Galaxy Nexus which is to be sold. Among all these, I feel the sound of the iPhone 4 to be most accurate, and the iPhone 4S a bit emphasized on the upper bass area - I prefer the sound quality of iPhone 4 over 4S, although the difference is small.

On the Android side, the Galaxy Nexus produces the best mid range and has the best synergy with my ES5 in my experience, but the Galaxy S3 is, IMO, the best sounding of all the recent phones I have had, as far as my ES5 is concerned - very natural albeit a bit less accurate - more "analog" sound, with an obviously wider soundstage than my iPhones. The dynamics on the Galaxy S3 is also better than the 4S IMO. However, compared with the Galaxy Nexus, the vocal from the Galaxy S3 is a bit less intimate. Anyway, when I listen back to my iPhone 4S with my ES5, its sound is a bit too accurate for me to the point that it is a bit "digital".

Of course, when it comes to use with external DACs and amps, nothing beats the 4/4S, simply because it has dedicated portable DACs on the market, namely the CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1, whereas there is no dedicated portable DACs (or any DACs) for any Android so far. But for pure IEM use straight out from a phone, I find the Nexus -> ES5 combo and the Galaxy S3 -> ES5 more  satisfying than the iPhones, but, your mileage may vary.

With the Wolfson DAC on the S3, I am naturally wondering whether there will be Voodoo mods like they did on S1. I never owned an S1 but heard that the sound quality from Voodoo on S1 is the best one can ever have on a phone.

looks sexy the box of the galaxy hasnt changed a bit lol

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #288 of 947
Can anyone post impressions with the Voodoo app?

Cheers 

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #289 of 947
Quote:
Got it today. I have a bunch of high end portable amps and DACs but the sound of the S3 straight out to my Westone ES5 is pretty amazing. I had the iPhone 4 and now have the iPhone 4S. I also  have the Galaxy Nexus which is to be sold. Among all these, I feel the sound of the iPhone 4 to be most accurate, and the iPhone 4S a bit emphasized on the upper bass area - I prefer the sound quality of iPhone 4 over 4S, although the difference is small.

On the Android side, the Galaxy Nexus produces the best mid range and has the best synergy with my ES5 in my experience, but the Galaxy S3 is, IMO, the best sounding of all the recent phones I have had, as far as my ES5 is concerned - very natural albeit a bit less accurate - more "analog" sound, with an obviously wider soundstage than my iPhones. The dynamics on the Galaxy S3 is also better than the 4S IMO. However, compared with the Galaxy Nexus, the vocal from the Galaxy S3 is a bit less intimate. Anyway, when I listen back to my iPhone 4S with my ES5, its sound is a bit too accurate for me to the point that it is a bit "digital".

Of course, when it comes to use with external DACs and amps, nothing beats the 4/4S, simply because it has dedicated portable DACs on the market, namely the CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1, whereas there is no dedicated portable DACs (or any DACs) for any Android so far. But for pure IEM use straight out from a phone, I find the Nexus -> ES5 combo and the Galaxy S3 -> ES5 more  satisfying than the iPhones, but, your mileage may vary.

With the Wolfson DAC on the S3, I am naturally wondering whether there will be Voodoo mods like they did on S1. I never owned an S1 but heard that the sound quality from Voodoo on S1 is the best one can ever have on a phone.

That's what i call a very good subjective review. Thanks

I'm willing to try an S3 this weekend. But i doubt that i might like it better than my 4S since i do love the terrific dynamic range, accuracy and delicacy that it brings to my UM3x. Yesterday listening to Wilco's Being There i caught myself jawdropping once again.

But it's good news indeed that the S3 has cleaned up the act of the dreaded S2.

Just one quick question:

If you hit pause...can you hear on your ES5 hiss for a couple of seconds till the amp shuts down?

iPhone is pitch black, the Galaxy Note was just acceptable but others (HTC One X) are terrible and hiss like mad.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #290 of 947
Quote:
Wonder if it would work with the E7... anyone have one to try?

I have an E7 shipping to me right now, will try it early next week.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #291 of 947
Quote:
Can anyone post impressions with the Voodoo app?

Cheers 

It's not yet available, rest assured I will get it as soon as it is and drop some feedback.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #292 of 947
Quote:
It's not yet available, rest assured I will get it as soon as it is and drop some feedback.

Ahh sorry for my impatience haha (I should be getting a blue GS3 tomorrow, maybe the first in the UK?) LOL

Could you please post a link to where Supercurio is posting information on the Voodoo project?

Cheers guys! 

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #294 of 947
Hey Totally dubbed keep out of this thread...your not welcome anymore after your disgraceful behaviour! LOL 
tongue.gif

I just got luck i guess, a guy replied to my wanted add saying he has 4 GS3´s as he has contact with Samsung or something, he probably has another blue one if your interested with recpt of cource...and a good price, not sure if it will have the slightly different coloured back but I will throw on a case so Im not fussed! (good price too!)

Quote:
I'm not really sure, but I think Twitter is where you want to look.

Ahh I see...havent been on twitter for more than a year...will have a look though, cheers!

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #295 of 947
"Can someone upload the dmesg command output when the DAC's are inserted ? 

As I know from S2, Samsung developers put a whitelist in the kernel for the devices accepted so if the device ID isn't on that list, the phone won't accept the USB device. If this is the problem, then it's easy to fix it with a custom kernel."
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26822532&postcount=165

I second this request.
The dmesg log could detail what is going on.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1520508
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/11/23/adb-android-debug-bridge/

Example of a dmesg log, showing a buggy firmware of a TEAC USB DAC:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/96433

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #296 of 947
Jun 2, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #297 of 947
Quote:
First part of my review up for those who are interested in the phone for more than just it's audio quality:

http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-real-user-review.html

OK, I promise no battery life question!!! Still, quite an excellent review. CNET has NOTHING on you. But, I do have one question,...how is the volume compared to the iPhone 4? I also have my Lumia 900 (the volume is quite low,...even using 16ohm IEM's), and I recently gifted my Moto Atrix 4G,...the volume was better the the Lumia 900. I prefer either circumaural or supra aural HP's instead,...so I need a bit more driving power - without an amp.

So, how does it compare?

Thanks!!!

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #299 of 947
Well I got my S3 today...a white one though!

Im holding off a bit on commenting too much in regards to SQ but initial impressions show that it isnt up to the standards of top DAP´s like the Sony Walkman Z which has better seperation, extension (at both ends) and is more intimate...not by allot but its noticable if you A/B but for an android phone it is mightily impressive and if I didnt have a HQ DAP to compare to I dont think I would be wanting any more tbh, also I find soundstage to be on par with the Sony Z and I was mightily impressed with how "3D" the osund was when I first heard the Sony so thats quite surprising to see the GS3 keeping up here, and to think that Supercurio may be able to improve on this sound even more...I am very excited to say the least! 

Im using Playerpro and Im rooted and running this ROM which is great! http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1663656 If any of you need help installing it shoot me a PM and I will be happy to lend a hand! 

This is a great phone too excluding SQ, and with it it makes it a phenomenal phone! 

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #300 of 947
How to Root your Galaxy S III, guide at AndroidNZ: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html 

Will be supplemented with a video guide tomorrow.

Chainfire's own guide in his thread is very easy to follow if you're any familiarity with Odin etc from having owned other Android handsets, our guide is a lot more visual so will be easier to follow for newcomers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back