Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
May 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #271 of 947
Well i did not listen to it. Lately i tried the Galaxy S2, the HTC Desire HD, HTC One X, HTC One S, HTC Sensation XL and Galaxy Note. But beware because forward vocals can be a clue of output impedance being higher than it should (if you are talking about balanced armatures)

To me the best sounding and the one with a lower noise floor was the HTC One S. But still the sense of tightness and space that i get off the iPhone i just can only match when i get my iBasso T3 into the equation. But i'll keep trying :wink: That's why i deem the iPhone as the only audiophile smartphone i've heard.

May 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #272 of 947
Quote:
 I find the Galaxy S3 -> ES5 more  satisfying than the iPhones, but, your mileage may vary.

With the Wolfson DAC on the S3, I am naturally wondering whether there will be Voodoo mods like they did on S1. I never owned an S1 but heard that the sound quality from Voodoo on S1 is the best one can ever have on a phone.

Well this is good news!!!!

And Supercurio has confirmed Voodoo will be working with the GS3 I think it was somewhere on this thread but I cant remember where i read it http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1633685 so this will only make SQ even better 
biggrin.gif

very excited to get mine now! 

May 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #273 of 947
Well HTC phones all sound pretty bad and the S2 with the Yamaha DAC chip just happens to be the worst sounding Galaxy line phone from Samsung when you compare with S1, S3 and Nexus...

May 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #274 of 947
Quote:
My Antelope Zodiac Gold supports up to 384/32, but how do I connect it to my Galaxy S3? 

You may use a microUSB to USB adaptor like the following one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023FTRUO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NP3NGSB6FTGTG2S7H7P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

and if necessary a USB gender changer like the following one
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Gender-Changer-Female/dp/B000BSN4UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306943224&sr=8-1

Quote:
AFAIK there is no USB "B" type to mini USB connector on the market, at least not high end ones. I connect my MacBook Pro to the Zodiac Gold via a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse USB cable and the sound is much better than the stock USB cable, so I am wondering if I can use the S3 as a portable transport and has it output to the Zodiac Gold.

Once the Android USB audio is functional, high-end microUSB type A to USB type B cable should be available.

May 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #275 of 947
Supercurio has completed his initial port. Says he is going to have something to eat and a little rest before upping it to the Play Store :) Not long now chaps!

May 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #276 of 947
Quote:
Can Samsung Galaxy S3 play flac files? :D

comparing S3 to upcoming iphone 5. do you think i should wait, or just get S3.

Of course it plays FLAC files :)

It supports them natively, but basically any Android can play FLAC since third party players have support for it.

Hard to say about waiting, we haven't heard the best from the S3 yet (that's coming soon as per my last post).

May 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #277 of 947
Quote:
Once the Android USB audio is functional, high-end microUSB type A to USB type B cable should be available.

I connect my MacBook Pro to the Zodiac Gold via a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse USB cable and the sound is much better than the stock USB cable

Sorry this is physically impossible...as in it would quite literally break the laws of physics, try to do a blind A/B test with a friend as USB cables are digital as in "1"s and "0"s and the information is either there or it isnt there and hence no physical degradation in audio quality can occur at all...it just isnt possible...(unlike in analogue cables, which is another argument altogether that I will not go into) just thought id clear that up though! (sorry to derail the thread I just hate seeing people being taken advantage of by these companies who promote superior sounding USB cables!) 

On another note I am very excited to hear reports of the Voodoo app, so please do post your experiences!

May 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #278 of 947

May 31, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #280 of 947
Quote:

Sorry this is physically impossible...as in it would quite literally break the laws of physics, try to do a blind A/B test with a friend as USB cables are digital as in "1"s and "0"s and the information is either there or it isnt there and hence no physical degradation in audio quality can occur at all...it just isnt possible...(unlike in analogue cables, which is another argument altogether that I will not go into) just thought id clear that up though! (sorry to derail the thread I just hate seeing people being taken advantage of by these companies who promote superior sounding USB cables!) 

On another note I am very excited to hear reports of the Voodoo app, so please do post your experiences!

Transmitted "0" and "1" are signals.
Signals are more or less deformed by any transmission medium (line induced jitter).
"1" could be strongly altered, for example thru a long transmission line, and recognized as "0" at the reception.
Signals can also be deformed by EMI noises (interfering noice jitter).

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/jitter1_e.html

[size=10.0pt]"The top blue waveform illustrates a perfect digital S/PDIF or AES3 bitstream. The bottom red waveform is what you might get out the other end of a long cable."[/size]

In computer networking, "0" & "1" flow data are protected by error detection and correction mechanisms.
There is no such error detection and correction mechanism in digital audio.

May 31, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #281 of 947
Quote:
Transmitted "0" and "1" are signals.
Signals are more or less deformed by any transmission medium (line induced jitter).
"1" could be strongly altered, for example thru a long transmission line, and recognized as "0" at the reception.
Signals can also be deformed by EMI noises (interfering noice jitter).

No half decent cable /that will be under 1m long) will deform the signal enough to change a 1 into a 0 if it is not defective...period! (I will say nothing more on the matter...I am interested in this sort of thing though so please PM me if you feel like continuing the discuassion!) Sorry if im coming across rude, i just like to be blunt

May 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #283 of 947
Quote:
What kind of miniUSB to female USB cable is that? I want to get a good quality one to connect my Fiio E17 to.

It's a USB OTG adapter, and I've already confirmed E17 is not working with the S3 (sorry).

May 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #285 of 947
Quote:
That sucks. I guess it's a kernel thing again.

Indeed, but if the drivers are there it may well be possible (possibly even easy) to add support for the E17 in custom kernels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back