With "these" attributes, how does Grado have a fanbase ?
Jul 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

Thermonuclear

Head-Fier
Im waiting for my Sennheiser HD555 to arrive, fingers crossed they will arrive on thursday
wink_face.gif
. Out of sheer curiousity, I went to a headphones retailer and tried Grado SR60i cans to see if they matched the reviews in the mags and online. What I found was :

Damn those covers are abrasive on the ears.
The strap that sits on top of your head aint the last word in comfy.
The treble is a bit too forthright for my tastes
The cables coming from both sides can be a bit of a nuisance.
The styling isnt cutting edge either.

Not hard to guess that I didnt like them, but hey, I love the hd485`s that I currently use
k701smile.gif
. Grado must be doing something right though, the SR60i`s just didnt fit in with my personal tastes and I was never going to be a potential buyer anyway, how do the lovers of those cans get around the niggles I could not live with ?

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 89
Heh...I actually think Grados are comfortable. I'm wearing my SR225 with bowls right now, and I remember thinking the SR60i with comfies was almost as comfortable as my HD590, cans known for nothing but being comfortable. It think it depends on the size & shape of your head & ears.

Style isn't too big a concern for me, at least...I actually go out of my way not to be stylish. I mean, I wear my HD280 Pros in public. There's a certain charm to a Grado's looks.

The Grado house sound is probably the most important and controversial thing about Grados. Some people love it, some hate it.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 89
Mods: Can you open a separate "I HATE GRADO" forum and put all these stupid threads in there?

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 89
full size headphones are never stylish anyway.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 89
Comfy pads are very comfy for me. And I do like grado's styling much better than the marble look of HD600 or ipod-white K701.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 89
Grado headphones are the only ones I can wear all day, because they don't make my ears sweat. I'm using bowls, too, btw. I wear them 6-8 hours per day.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 89
I thought it was all hype too, but then I finally broke down and bought a pair of SR-80i's and just loved them. It's a whole new sound and it really suits a lot of my music, rock especially, which is what Grado is known for.

I was also afraid of it being uncomfortable, but have come to find them to be perfectly comfortable.

I'll agree that the dual-entry of the cabling is a bit annoying, but it's the same way on my A950LTD's and I love those as well, you could mod it to be single-entry if you were so inclined, but it's not a deal breaker, at least not to me.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 89
I apologize, but I just joined this site today and cannot figure out how to start a new thread. (Even checked the FAQ!) So, this thread seems most parallel to my question. I currently have a pair of Full Metal Jacket's from SkullCandy, but want to upgrade to a pair of Grado SR325i's. Since I know of nowhere to sample these headphones in Colorado Springs, I am trusting you guys to inform me: is this a good purchase, and if so, why? (P.S. Any help on how to start a new thread would be greatly appreciated!)

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im waiting for my Sennheiser HD555 to arrive, fingers crossed they will arrive on thursday
wink_face.gif
. Out of sheer curiousity, I went to a headphones retailer and tried Grado SR60i cans to see if they matched the reviews in the mags and online. What I found was :

Damn those covers are abrasive on the ears.
The strap that sits on top of your head aint the last word in comfy.
The treble is a bit too forthright for my tastes
The cables coming from both sides can be a bit of a nuisance.
The styling isnt cutting edge either.

Not hard to guess that I didnt like them, but hey, I love the hd485`s that I currently use
k701smile.gif
. Grado must be doing something right though, the SR60i`s just didnt fit in with my personal tastes and I was never going to be a potential buyer anyway, how do the lovers of those cans get around the niggles I could not live with ?

You need to have more than 46 posts to trash a major manufacturer, and even then it wouldn't be cool. To voice a concern over what you believe is a design flaw, an oversite or something that is not to your taste is one thing, but to ridicule a company because they don't meet your inexperienced and uninformed expectations is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back