With "these" attributes, how does Grado have a fanbase ?
Jul 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 89
The OP is calling dual-entry cabling a flaw. Everyone who is taking offense to his comments should realize where he is coming from, before taking his words personally - that is to say, he's probably a "looks-first" user, so take his opinions in the proper context.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 89
Evan: Welcome to Head-Fi! I don't know if there's a retailer in Colorado, however, there's a meet on 7/25/09, IIRC, in Denver. Check the meet forum for mofe details. You will be welcome as a new member and you don't need to bring any gear. Though you might want to bring the Skullcandys along. My guess is that everyone will want to give them a listen.

As to the OP:

1. Wash your bowls. Isn't this conventional wisdom by now? Wash them with soap and hot water in the sink until water runs clear through them. Then squeeze out and let dry overnight.

2. The headbands are fine. I've never even noticed mine.

3. Yes, the highs are a little forward. You either love or hate the sound signature. I love it, but not everyone does.

4. The styling is bad? I'll disagree. They look far better than many blinged-out models on the market. Wooden ones are particularly good looking in my opinion.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #18 of 89
Also, if you are looking at 325s, take a look at the Alessandro MS2, which is tamer and less fatiguing while retaining plenty of 325esque detail. Oh, and to start a new thread, simply open a forum, such as full size headphones, and click the new thread button under the list.
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet! (Someone had to say it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #19 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Musick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize, but I just joined this site today and cannot figure out how to start a new thread. (Even checked the FAQ!) So, this thread seems most parallel to my question. I currently have a pair of Full Metal Jacket's from SkullCandy, but want to upgrade to a pair of Grado SR325i's. Since I know of nowhere to sample these headphones in Colorado Springs, I am trusting you guys to inform me: is this a good purchase, and if so, why? (P.S. Any help on how to start a new thread would be greatly appreciated!)

I'd recommend the sr60 or alessandros ms-1 over the sr325i. considered better value for your money by most of the consensus of head-fi. And it wont be as big of a dent in your wallet if you decide that you dont like the grado sound.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 89
@Evan
I personally think you should call on Uncle Erik's invite to the meet. I saw the Skull candy's of yours were IEMs (don't worry i am not from any gov agency tapping your place... I just love Google). You can try out other cans asside from grados there. at the 325's price range you have some list of phones that you can buy. just decide what purpose and what feature is most important for you (isolation, etc.)

I'm not putting the 325s down. they were actually my 1st set of grados not counting the Alessandro MS-1. They are good cans but if you plan to commute w/ them on. i believe you will be tuning in to engine noise and chatter 90% of time. =)

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #21 of 89
Agree with beagle and fatcat here. I can understand a hate thread if you've had a bad purchasing experience with a company and want to let people know. It is an important role of this site. However if you're starting a thread to bash a company and the most experience you have with them is a store demo than you should really think before hitting that post button.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 89
I didnt think the OP was "ridiculing" Grado just by stating that it wasn't to his taste in sound or comfort. If those few mild comments are ridiculing and "unacceptable", I suggest we shut this forum down immediately as there's no point going on.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 89
Trying new headphones are kinda like trying new shoes. Judging by you post and signature you are used to the sennhieser sound and used to darker trebles and an all together different sound signature. Well whenever I buy new shoes they don't fit as comfortably the first few days. The same applies to headphones when I was a newbie, I found some headphones sounded back the first time certain sound signatures would sound weird if you've never tried anything other than sennhieser.

I can sympathize with you when I first tried my first senhieser I though to myself why is this headphone so dark and who would like this, but after a longer listen I was awed and amazed. You just need to start trying out more headphones.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn those covers are abrasive on the ears.
The strap that sits on top of your head aint the last word in comfy.
The treble is a bit too forthright for my tastes
The cables coming from both sides can be a bit of a nuisance.
The styling isnt cutting edge either.

Grado must be doing something right though, the SR60i`s just didnt fit in with my personal tastes and I was never going to be a potential buyer anyway, how do the lovers of those cans get around the niggles I could not live with ?

They quickly soften with use, or washing. Bending the headband to reduce clamping helps, too. If you're demoing them, you might feel constrained, but it's just a piece of springy steel, so you won't hurt it at all. Grab and stretch.
The headband bothers me, too. I wrapped mine in some elk leather I had. I suspect it's because of my pointy head and 1/4" hair. Wear a hat if you try them again.
What kind of music do you normally listen to? Grado tends to be suggested for folks who are listening to rock, esp. electric guitar. And they might grow on you.
I feel off-balance with single entry cables.
I like the fact that they look like something a WWII radio-telephone operator would wear. I have no compunctions about wearing them in public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt think the OP was "ridiculing" Grado just by stating that it wasn't to his taste in sound or comfort. If those few mild comments are ridiculing and "unacceptable", I suggest we shut this forum down immediately as there's no point going on.

I think the thread title was a bit, um, well, harsh. I was surprised to read the relatively mild comments after bracing for the "worst". I think perhaps the title would have been better as "Tried Grado SR-60, no love, just me?"

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #25 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Musick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize, but I just joined this site today and cannot figure out how to start a new thread. (Even checked the FAQ!) So, this thread seems most parallel to my question. I currently have a pair of Full Metal Jacket's from SkullCandy, but want to upgrade to a pair of Grado SR325i's. Since I know of nowhere to sample these headphones in Colorado Springs, I am trusting you guys to inform me: is this a good purchase, and if so, why? (P.S. Any help on how to start a new thread would be greatly appreciated!)

Welcome to Head-Fi, Evan!

Now is an exciting time to be a CO head-fier. We have a regional meet in Denver on the 25th of this month (as Eric pointed out), and we have CanJam coming to RMAF in a few months.

That said, we also have an excellent local retailer where you can try some Grados and some Denons. ListenUp downtown (Tejon and Platte) will happily let you demo a pair. I expect you'll like them.

Between 3 or four local Head-fiers, we also have almost ever model of headphones Grado has ever produced, and they'll all be at the meet. Wanna hear some $3000 Grados? PM HeadphoneAddict, myself, or Wiatrob and we'll get you set up.

As to the OP: grow a pair.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 89
Um, why do folks like them - it's the sound man, the sound (there's quite a few threads on this topic here, really worth a search - unless you're just trolling).

When searching you'll find, in addition to threads on the sonic attributes (really a key for most of us here), folks who like the styling (retro is way cooler than the bulky plastic of the cheap senns and it's tried and true), think they are comfy (bend the headband, use different pads) and expect dual entry (as in say the senn 650 and 800 even - and folding flat is even better).

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mods: Can you open a separate "I HATE GRADO" forum and put all these stupid threads in there?

ditto - it's getting a little thick lately

all they ever did was give us what we want ($200 headphone with wood dedicated to the community, then next version answering our repeated cries for an upped version of the 325i/MS2i). It's really the coolest thing I've eve seen from a product perspective. John and Todds are gods - but even if other folks disagree, why all the fuss?

I'm not suggesting this OP is part of that per se, but come on now.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #29 of 89
I have no problems with the criticisms; I don't disagree, mostly (cept. I think the answer to the question is fairly obvious). But why is the word these in the thread title in quote marks?

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #30 of 89
Well, thank you all for the warm welcomes and suggestions so far! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Denver on a weekday, however the Canjam sounds intriguing. Direction to more information on the event would be welcomed.
JoJo, I'm a rather large newbie, what did you mean when you stated that my Skullcandy's were IEM's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back