With Macworld a month away, iPod flash rumors fly
Jan 10, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #61 of 74
I think the firmware updates that'll come out tomorrow will add cross-fading (for gapless playback, more or less) and a custom EQ for 4th gen and iPod Photo, along with much needed bug fixes for the iPod Photo.
basshead.gif
I'm excited.

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
I think the firmware updates that'll come out tomorrow will add cross-fading (for gapless playback, more or less) and a custom EQ for 4th gen and iPod Photo, along with much needed bug fixes for the iPod Photo.
basshead.gif
I'm excited.

That sounds great BUT lets hope its for 3rd gen ipods too, as that's whats i have.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #64 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacko
That sounds great BUT lets hope its for 3rd gen ipods too, as that's whats i have.
rolleyes.gif

I would not bet money on it. The memory configuration and OS and some support chips are newer between the generations. For example the Ipod photo has a smaller buffer because the photo related stuff uses the memory space.

That's one major downside in Apple's stab at becoming a consumer electronics company. Rapid obsolescence. Every new year of sony tv brings a new remote control that does not quite work with older TVs and the old remotes don't quite work with the new TVS

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #65 of 74
with the firewire vs usb interface it is definitely not an apple design issue

as i have had a few devices that functioned worse if not at all on USB

my NEC-3500A was one... 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW burner....

i tried hooking it up through USB first since it didnt require me rearranging things and it coastered 5 discs in a row...... hooked up the drive to firewire..... not one coaster yet

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #66 of 74
even a 1 or 2 line screen would be great, so that you knew what tune was playing. i'd love a tiny wheel that scrolled through songs one at a time, i think it'd look pretty cool. i doubt i'll ever buy a player that doesn't have a screen.

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Random or "Shuffle" is cool because Apple says so. Otherwise, I have never in my life ever used or wanted to use random when playing any of my music.

I use shuffle 98% of the time. It's like listening to a radio station that plays all of my favorite songs; and even though I'm familiar with all 11,000+ songs on my iPod, the randomness generates one pleasant surprise after another.

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #69 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
I use shuffle 98% of the time. It's like listening to a radio station that plays all of my favorite songs; and even though I'm familiar with all 11,000+ songs on my iPod, the randomness generates one pleasant surprise after another.

i agree. It is very rare taht mine is not on shuffle. With a gig of memory, no screen, and no order, finding a particular song will not be fun, though.

The only way I could see this being alright is if it's like the iaudio m3 with the screen on a remote. that could salvage a screenless player.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #70 of 74
I say the new iPod... (if it really is nicknamed the shuffle, and has a no screen)...

...Will fail. Only because we live in a fickle society that likes to support underdogs, and likes to see great things fall.

Perhaps underdog is not the right concept I'm trying to convey. Something along the lines of... anti-maintream sentiments for sure though.

Time will tell.

(I hope I'm right! I heard Apple has a huge, 80% share of the mp3 market. I believe it makes for slower progression of technology, when you dont have this sense of fear from competitors. ATi and nVidia are having a great time!)

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #71 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
i agree. It is very rare taht mine is not on shuffle. With a gig of memory, no screen, and no order, finding a particular song will not be fun, though.

The only way I could see this being alright is if it's like the iaudio m3 with the screen on a remote. that could salvage a screenless player.

No screen? Well what would really make my day would be an iPod with a cool
blue OLED display
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back