With Macworld a month away, iPod flash rumors fly
Dec 17, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie87
^*%^&%^^56 *8* EXPLITIVE......Just when my month look research finally ended on buying a iPod Mini, they are going to release a new one....is it worth it folks to hold ou?

So did you already buy (I'm confused). If not, I'd certainly wait, but there are enough rumors (as always before Macworld SF) that anything could happen. It may just be new flash players and smaller than you want. Then again...
wink.gif

Keep your eyes on the Mac rumor sites.

Dec 17, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
USB tends to bog down the system resources... FireWire on the other hand, usually does not.

That's true, but at what point does it really become an issue? (I'm asking, because I don't really know and haven't ever experienced it being a problem.)

Dec 17, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #49 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
That's true, but at what point does it really become an issue? (I'm asking, because I don't really know and haven't ever experienced it being a problem.)

When you're a moron (still) using a Pentium Pro 100.

Dec 18, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #50 of 74
I didnt read all the filler posts, but just add what i can.

I dropped by my local apple store today (picked up a mini for a xmas gift), and got to talking with a manager, and after i made a joke about the pill buttons on the credit card reader, i asked him about this little device since i had read this post. So take what ever i say as you want.

Me - so do you know when the little flash player is coming out?

Him - *giggles* Not you too!

Me - alot of people asking about it?

Him - Yea, your the 4th person today. Im not sure where you guys are getting your information from, but you seem to have more then us.

Me - oh, so you guys have no idea?

Him - Well ive seen the rumors too, but we havent gotten any word as to when and price, or even if.

Me - Heh, thanks.

Him - Have a nice night, enjoy your mini.

now that was like 4 hours ago, so forgive i cant attest that being verbaitum, but its like 90%, ive havent had anything to drink to night
rolleyes.gif

So either he was just lying to me, or he really has no idea on it either.

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Jump on over to ipodlounge forums and you will see plenty of times where USB 2.0 causes problems and the problem is remedied by using or installing firewire. Firewire is a more robust system. Not to say that tons of people are succesfully using USB 2.0. I read a head to head review on external HDD in the past that said burst transfers were faster on USB 2.0 in theory and sustained transfer speeds were faster on firewire. They also concluded in the end that they are both fast as hell but if you have the option your better off using firewire.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Jump on over to ipodlounge forums and you will see plenty of times where USB 2.0 causes problems and the problem is remedied by using or installing firewire. Firewire is a more robust system. Not to say that tons of people are succesfully using USB 2.0. I read a head to head review on external HDD in the past that said burst transfers were faster on USB 2.0 in theory and sustained transfer speeds were faster on firewire. They also concluded in the end that they are both fast as hell but if you have the option your better off using firewire.

Those issues are due to the iPod itself and Apple's poor engineering, rather than firewire being more "compatible" over USB. In other words, the iPod works better with certain firewire/USB chipsets compared to others, and that's an iPod-specific issue, not a firewire vs. USB issue. It'd be incorrect to correlate iPod problems to USB problems. There is a reason why Apple has this article here on firewire/USB recommendations, which can be interpreted three ways: (1) Apple has tested only these cards, (2) Apple designs the iPod to work based only on these cards, (3) Apple doesn't bother to make compatibility with other cards - any of which is foolish because there are many more USB and firewire chipsets, VIA being the big one, followed by USB2 integraded on the motherboard.

IME, I had tons of firewire problems but none with USB. For example, my 3G iPod worked perfectly with firewire, but the 4G plugged into the exact same card didn't work at all. Apple did update the firmware to solve such problems though. The last 4G firmware says it fixes USB issues. And since I couldn't wait 1, 2, or 3 months for Apple to fix the problems, I had to buy a new firewire card, which irritated me. I have several USB2 and USB2+firewire external enclosures, and none have had firewire or USB problems.

In any case, it still comes down to speed (flash/small hdd aren't fast enough to become an issue) and availability (who has firewire? what else is firewire used for outside DV and some external drives?).

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Those issues are due to the iPod itself and Apple's poor engineering, rather than firewire being more "compatible" over USB.).

Well pardon the pun here, but you aren't really comparing apples to apple's

Apple co-invented firewire, it's logical that the ipod might work better with it than usb 2.

It always amazes how people that really have no idea what they are talking about can blast a particular company or technology based on a very limited experience with it/them.

You can find on this board, apple/creative/rio/compaq/ibm/toshiba/firewire/usb/wireless/wired..... all suck and the people that designed or built them are morons. Please, EVERYTHING will have a problem for somebody.

The bigger thing that i have seen in my business, is that the more stuff you connect together, the more likely something is not going to work. I have a PC that USB is all but worthless on and an Imac with 6 devices connected that way. I also have another PC that has several devices connected by firewire that works terrific.

By the way for what it's worth, the problem I have most often seen on a PC with a add in firewire or USB card is that the PC has no interrupts left (because it has a gazillion built in devices on the motherboard) and therefore has to try and share one. If the firewire/USB card has a dedicated interrupt I'd bet money it will work right. Yes that is techie and one of the main reasons that PCs still have a long way to go before they are truly user friendly

Dec 19, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
It always amazes how people that really have no idea what they are talking about can blast a particular company or technology based on a very limited experience with it/them.

I don't think you're getting my point, and you're being presumptious to say I don't know what I'm talking about. When was the last time you bought a firewire or USB device and had to wait for a firmware just to get it working? Did you have to update the firmware on the last scanner you bought just so it would work? The last printer? The last external hard drive, digital camera, cell phone, or some other mp3 player? Did you have to select from a list of recommended cards to get something to work? I'm not saying firewire is bad, I'm saying Apple's engineering/testing of the iPod specifically is poor. If using firewire instead of USB fixes the problem, then fine. But who says it's because USB2 is bad when it works fine for other devices the user may have, when it could be the iPod that's lacking in proper development for USB support, which is Apple's fault.

And about IRQ - When was the last time anyone had to deal with such problems with a recent computer? Maybe I'm not "techie" enough to have such issues. My PC with a TV tuner card, NIC, firewire, USB2, sound card, and second IDE card aren't complaining.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #56 of 74
Funny how long it took USB to catch up to firewire. Then when it finally arrives we get firewire 800. Maybe five years from now USB 3.0 will catch up. OK this whole argument is really stupid and I do agree both are plenty fast for filling up todays flash drives. If the shoe fits wear it right?

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #57 of 74
No screen is a definite con. Would never buy a flash player without a screen.. it's like running in the dark.

Same with no USB - it's an added expense for a firewire pci card, if you're buying an iFlash, and makes it compare unfavourably to the alternatives (Muvo V200).

Plus it's quite ugly and plainjane.... no go, apple!

Jan 10, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #59 of 74
With the above link pointing to a emphasis of 'random' and this saying the new iPod is called 'Shuffle' (along with all the rumor of no screen) ...

... Apple wouldn't be releasing a player that only played in shuffle/mix mode would it?
blink.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #60 of 74
it is a bit of a wierd name to give a player but i think its a cool name that sounds catchy. But whether it will sell well (to even half as good of the current 4g ipod) will depend on marketing and looks as usual. just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back