Winston-Salem / Triad meet (April 20th, 2013)
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #76 of 266
Quote:
I'm using a Mac Book with Amara playback, and I have a Scott Nixon USB Tubedac D/A converter. I'll bring that too. My Amara has crashed I'm afraid. I'm not too computer literate, so I hope to have that fixed well before then. As I've been known to say----my favorite computer tool is a .357 magnum........

I know what you mean there - I have had an awful time with my Mac running Windows - yesterday, I finally replaced the RAM and exchanged the Hard Drive with a SSD - then I loaded all the software from scratch. I didn't think I could do that myself, but it went well. Reinforced to me how much I like the Apple software, and how much I don't like the Microsoft software. 

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I've talked to RastaDolphin but does anyone know any audio shops in the general Winston area or Greensboro? I know Drew has a great shop in Cary, but that's a little far away for a student without a car.

Also, does anyone know any electronics store that sells DIY basics like heat shrinks and plugs/jacks in the Winston area too?

A fella named Randy has a Car Stereo Install shop behind Custom Home Hi Fi (across the street from through way shopping center - next to entrance of Business 40). He is a good guy, and he would be able to hook you up with a lot of those kinds of items. 

Quote:
I'm in the Raleigh area, and being generous I think I've been to Winston once before.  If I remember correctly we sat in a car at Hanes mall for about 10-15 minutes...reason not remembered at this point.  What this means is, sadly, I know nothing out that way really.  The Radio Shacks around here sometimes have some of that stuff, have you tried there?

I heard that.  I was beginning to wonder myself :)  should be fun

I saw him play not long ago when he came to Raleigh.  He is fantastic, and really at ease on stage.  Definitely one I'd have lunch with in one of those hypothetical questions of who to have lunch with...not the ONLY one, but up there :)

That is great to hear - will be my first symphony experience like this. I saw on HD Tracks the Joshua Bell playing / conducting St. Martin in the Fields - Beethoven - 4&7 - interesting comparison - violinist also conducting - likely to download that one.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #77 of 266
Quote:
Out of curiosity, I've talked to RastaDolphin but does anyone know any audio shops in the general Winston area or Greensboro? I know Drew has a great shop in Cary, but that's a little far away for a student without a car.

Also, does anyone know any electronics store that sells DIY basics like heat shrinks and plugs/jacks in the Winston area too?

Yeah, the Shack seems to be the only place for electronics parts in the area. Somebody at the Shack referred me to a place called Electronic Distributing on Brookstown. They have a few things the Shack doesn't carry. They're a little more expensive and more of a contractor/electrician supply kind of place, I think. I just did a brief walk through but they did have helping hands in stock.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #78 of 266
Any brick and mortar place is going to cost more than you could spend online.

Radio Shack isn't bad for bits and pieces and thankfully it's getting better, not worse... Their 3.5mm phone plugs are ugly but they're excellent for beginners; the joints and insulators are as close to heat-proof as is practically possible. If you've never soldered before you can make a cable with one and it'll work, no matter how many things you did wrong (short of bridging lines or actually setting things on fire). I've found it a cheaper place for small lots of resistors than buying online; $2 plus sales tax for a strip of five small resistors is kind of steep but the same thing online would cost $1 plus $5 shipping

If you need to buy more than a couple things at a time, though, do it online.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #80 of 266
I looking over the list of equipment people are bringing and iI see several Grados. If it isn't too rude to ask, does anyone have a pair of 80s or 125s they could bring? I've been wanting to hear what they sound like.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #81 of 266
Turns out i wont b bringing a schiit modi. But instead ill have an Odac! Im still in the process of buying hlaf of what i plan to bring lol. But all is going ad planned n the odac id the only change.

Oh yea i have a E11 n cmoy bb 18v ill bring as well. Im I'm worKing so much now i forget about my portable amps

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #82 of 266
I looking over the list of equipment people are bringing and iI see several Grados. If it isn't too rude to ask, does anyone have a pair of 80s or 125s they could bring? I've been wanting to hear what they sound like.

I have a pair of wooded 225is I could bring.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #83 of 266

I have an SR-80 that I've been considering selling. I'll hang onto them until the meet so you can try it and make an offer if you like it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #85 of 266
Quote:
Turns out i wont b bringing a schiit modi. But instead ill have an Odac! Im still in the process of buying hlaf of what i plan to bring lol. But all is going ad planned n the odac id the only change.

Oh yea i have a E11 n cmoy bb 18v ill bring as well. Im I'm worKing so much now i forget about my portable amps

i can bring a o2 amp, if you want to try pairing it with your dac

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #87 of 266
I'm sorry to have to say that if the meet is on the 20th then I won't be able to attend.  The other meet in Michigan on the same day just has some rare gear that I've been itching to hear and is just too good of an opportunity for me to pass up right now.  Hopefully the next NC meet that rolls around I'll be able to attend.  

And I don't want you all to have to move the date just for me.  I know one of the other members was talking about wanting to attend a symphony concert on the the 27th.  At least I'm informing well of time.  Sorry again.  

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #88 of 266
Yes, please. Ive been very interested in trying an O2. :)

Like wise, i like the reference term thrown at the o2. The dt 880 250 is s true mid fi refrance can... Will b a Nice paring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back