Winston-Salem / Triad meet (April 20th, 2013)
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #62 of 266
well as of now

20 21 27 and 28 u said

I like Saturday to actually!

the 27'th for me! I can push the date back a week since my "request off'" was not offical

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #63 of 266
Hello Head-Fiers,
     Mike from Virginia, here. My first time on this forum. I'm just getting interested in 'phones again. My last set was a Koss Pro 4AA headvise. I have been into audio since I was in diapers. Haven't done anything with headphones since I was a kid. I'm excited that a meet will be this close to me. I would like to attend. Don't mind throwing some cash in the kitty to help out.
     I should have a new custom HA from my friend Tom Tutay of Transition Audio Design. It is a dedicated desktop unit. Output transformerless design similar to a unit by Ray Samuels. Per channel it has a switchable input tube--either a 6L5G or a 12J5, with a 6900 (or 5687) in parallel push pull as the drive tube. The 6900 was designed as a line amp for ICBMs in our National defense system. Hard to find a quiet one, but I have a line stage with this tube and I have a good selection. Power supply will have vacuum tube rectification--274B, WE 422A, 5U4, etc. I would be glad to bring it if anyone is interested. I want to get a portable system and this is why I want to attend the meet. I'll be coming from central Virginia. Like all kinds of music.

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #65 of 266
i may have another good set by then. maybe a good amp too. because the 14th is my birthday. please consider me this will be my first headfi meet and its soo close due to the fact i live in greensboro. Do i need to send a pm for anything?

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #66 of 266
Pardon, I mis-spoke in my description of my HA. The 6900 has its two sections paralleled for lower output impedence. The unit sports huge output coupling caps so it can drive anything. I plan to drive a set of LCD-3s with it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #67 of 266
I look forward to you explaining this at the meet. What I saw was "theta iota epsilon epsilon lambda omega"
Pardon, I mis-spoke in my description of my HA. The 6900 has its two sections paralleled for lower output impedence. The unit sports huge output coupling caps so it can drive anything. I plan to drive a set of LCD-3s with it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #68 of 266
Quote:
I look forward to you explaining this at the meet. What I saw was "theta iota epsilon epsilon lambda omega"

Hi TNCM,
     I feel much the same way about digital. I have many questions. I'd love to share my experience in audio. Looking at the conversations I see in HF, I'm coming into this from a different angle. I know we can benefit from each other's experience. Thanks for the reply. This is a really cool forum, and I've learned alot already.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #70 of 266
Just looked at the calendar. If on the 20th, I'll be there. If on the 27th, I won't be there. I have a ticket to this: 

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/ConcertsAndTickets/Calendar/2012-2013/Perlman-Commands.aspx

and I'm really looking forward to it.

If it does work out to be on the 20th, I'd be very interested in bringing the MacBook Pro, USB/SPIDF converter, and the Nova - I really would like to hear a pair of good headphones on the Nova versus many of the amp / DAC combos that will be there. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #73 of 266
Quote:
Just looked at the calendar. If on the 20th, I'll be there. If on the 27th, I won't be there. I have a ticket to this: 

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/ConcertsAndTickets/Calendar/2012-2013/Perlman-Commands.aspx

If it does work out to be on the 20th, I'd be very interested in bringing the MacBook Pro, USB/SPIDF converter, and the Nova - I really would like to hear a pair of good headphones on the Nova versus many of the amp / DAC combos that will be there. 

I'm using a Mac Book with Amara playback, and I have a Scott Nixon USB Tubedac D/A converter. I'll bring that too. My Amara has crashed I'm afraid. I'm not too computer literate, so I hope to have that fixed well before then. As I've been known to say----my favorite computer tool is a .357 magnum........

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #74 of 266
Out of curiosity, I've talked to RastaDolphin but does anyone know any audio shops in the general Winston area or Greensboro? I know Drew has a great shop in Cary, but that's a little far away for a student without a car.

Also, does anyone know any electronics store that sells DIY basics like heat shrinks and plugs/jacks in the Winston area too?

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #75 of 266
Quote:
Out of curiosity, I've talked to RastaDolphin but does anyone know any audio shops in the general Winston area or Greensboro? I know Drew has a great shop in Cary, but that's a little far away for a student without a car.

Also, does anyone know any electronics store that sells DIY basics like heat shrinks and plugs/jacks in the Winston area too?

I'm in the Raleigh area, and being generous I think I've been to Winston once before.  If I remember correctly we sat in a car at Hanes mall for about 10-15 minutes...reason not remembered at this point.  What this means is, sadly, I know nothing out that way really.  The Radio Shacks around here sometimes have some of that stuff, have you tried there?

Quote:
 (I hope this room is big enough (12' x 24'))

I heard that.  I was beginning to wonder myself :)  should be fun

Quote:

I saw him play not long ago when he came to Raleigh.  He is fantastic, and really at ease on stage.  Definitely one I'd have lunch with in one of those hypothetical questions of who to have lunch with...not the ONLY one, but up there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back