Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Oct 25, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #4,006 of 4,133
FYI, Tiptop Electronics in town is finally shutting its doors in Nov. They have some pretty good discounts on audio connectors and some basic pro cables if anyone is interested. Since I am a regular they let me know. They specifically said they are willing to "wheel and deal", so I think they want things gone asap. Gonna miss this place. I will gladly pay a bit more to these folks for the convenience and quick access to audio connectors I need now and again than all those online places. But alas the slow march of time catches up to us all.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #4,007 of 4,133
FYI, Tiptop Electronics in town is finally shutting its doors in Nov. They have some pretty good discounts on audio connectors and some basic pro cables if anyone is interested. Since I am a regular they let me know. They specifically said they are willing to "wheel and deal", so I think they want things gone asap. Gonna miss this place. I will gladly pay a bit more to these folks for the convenience and quick access to audio connectors I need now and again than all those online places. But alas the slow march of time catches up to us all.

Awww, that's a real shame. I wasn't a regular, but I did pick up quite a few bits and pieces over the years, for emergencies where Digikey and Mouser didn't make sense.

Going to be missed.....

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #4,008 of 4,133
Aw that's sad. I wasn't a regular either, though if I lived closer I probably would have been. Maybe I should finally drop the money on a nice Fluke multimeter? Or upgrade the old Weller?

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #4,009 of 4,133
Aw that's sad. I wasn't a regular either, though if I lived closer I probably would have been. Maybe I should finally drop the money on a nice Fluke multimeter? Or upgrade the old Weller?
I upgraded my soldering iron. It's still a cheap one, but the one I had was in really rough shape. Lots of multimeters left last time I was there.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #4,010 of 4,133
So they close on Wednesday? Darn, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it there before then.

I've got the old orange Weller with the adjustable temperature knob. Before that it was an old blue one with on/off only. A solder pot would be handy, but it looks like the only one they have is a $1180 which is a wee bit too much for like the half dozen times I would ever use it.

I don't even really make cables these days. It's literally cheaper to buy a finished cable than to make it myself now.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #4,011 of 4,133
So they close on Wednesday? Darn, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it there before then.

I've got the old orange Weller with the adjustable temperature knob. Before that it was an old blue one with on/off only. A solder pot would be handy, but it looks like the only one they have is a $1180 which is a wee bit too much for like the half dozen times I would ever use it.

I don't even really make cables these days. It's literally cheaper to buy a finished cable than to make it myself now.
I find I make cables still because I am usually making minor tweaks to things and need specific lengths or to act as special adapters. But I agree it is not a money saving venture. More of a pragmatic thing and often saves me from having to try and hide/manage the extra length. Perfect length cables are so nice to have.

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #4,012 of 4,133
I think I'll pop in there Monday to see what's left.

On another topic, last winter was the worst I've experienced in over twenty years of commuting to St. Andrews Airport, so I'm thinking of getting studded tires for my car. Anyone here have any experience/comments on this?

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #4,013 of 4,133
Perfect length cables are so nice to have.
Until you make one that's just a tiiiiny bit too short...

I think I'll pop in there Monday to see what's left.

On another topic, last winter was the worst I've experienced in over twenty years of commuting to St. Andrews Airport, so I'm thinking of getting studded tires for my car. Anyone here have any experience/comments on this?

I don't personally, but I have a couple co-workers who swear by them.

I really like Michelin winter tires overall. Last time I went to Kal Tire and they convinced me to get Nokian instead, but I have not been happy with them.

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,016 of 4,133
Hmmm, I'm surprised. I've heard good things about the Nokian non-studded winter tires. Did the traction suck?

It was ok-ish the first year, but I'm on year 3 now and get lots of skidding even on wet surfaces.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #4,017 of 4,133
Hey dudes, I'm planning a trip to Grand Forks in a couple weeks to meet up with @bearFNF and also pick up an amp.
Anything you guys want me to pick up while I'm down there? or grab from a border depot?

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,018 of 4,133
Hey dudes, I'm planning a trip to Grand Forks in a couple weeks to meet up with @bearFNF and also pick up an amp.
Anything you guys want me to pick up while I'm down there? or grab from a border depot?
Are you going to any audio store in particular? Or any other specific stores? Or do you have a PO box to send US shippments too? I am certainly curious, but wouldn't want to put you out in any way.

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #4,019 of 4,133
I don't have any particular stores in mind, so it's a random shopping trip. It's been ages since I've been down, so I don't even know what shops to check out yet.

I'm actually having a couple parcels sent to Bear (in MN) and he's meeting up with us in Grand Forks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back