Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Aug 14, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,676 of 4,133
I've got the sausage and cream sauce simmering now. Found some caramelized onions in the freezer that I made a while ago so I've added that in. In about an hour I'll add the perogies and let them cook in the sauce, and top off with some feta.

I should be there just after 5pm.

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #3,677 of 4,133
Thanks to @rifi for hosting.
It was great seeing everybody: @Velomane @Viper2005 @ecwl @dbw1 @Rubin
apologies if I missed anyone.

Velomane stole the show with his insane stax rig. Special mention to rifi's air conditioner for keeping up with those massive space heaters. :dt880smile:

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #3,678 of 4,133
Velomane stole the show with his insane stax rig. Special mention to rifi's air conditioner for keeping up with those massive space heaters. :dt880smile:

As this meet was being discussed, I did a bit of scoping out of all the local people. I was somewhat sarcastically thinking to myself "Who are all these clowns, surely nobody in Winnipeg has a truly killer rig".

Then I saw Velomane's profile.

Game over man, game over.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3,680 of 4,133
Great evening. Thanks for educating a newbie. Amazing equipment present last night. Really a pleasure meeting everyone again.
dave

You and my buddy Chris got a massive crash course, going from entry level iems and a Sony V6 to... well... tickling Stax SR-007/009, Audeze LCD-4, ZMF Aeolus, Hifiman HE-6, etc. Granted, it took all of us years to get to that point. I can imagine it may have been overwhelming for you two when there was just soooo much that was new.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,681 of 4,133
Thoughts on the Stax. As always, they have this "lightness" to them that is unmistakably stax. It's so hard to describe since other headphones can be light sounding, and I don't want to use the word "quick" either, but stax have this ability to feel light even when presenting heavy and impactful music. Being physically lightweight also helps a lot to psycho-acoustically change your perception.

I sadly did not spend any time with the SR-007 that was there at the meet, because I am still haunted by my awful experience dealing with my damaged pair from years ago and fighting with the post office.

Between the Carbon and T2 though...
T2: more clarity and speed
Carbon: much more rumble
Especially noticeable on Daft Punk - Giorgio by Moroder, in the very last few seconds of the song it descends into this deep almost heartbeat-like thump. On the T2 you can feel the impact of each beat. On the Carbon it is a softer leading edge but also a longer drag on the tail end which gives it a more thwompy and warm sound.

Also, you really have to place your hands on these amps to appreciate how bloody hot they get. The T2 especially with the dual chassis. My home office gets awful cold in the winter and I've often joked that I want an amp that doubles as a space heater... but I don't think I can justify a stax amp just for that lol.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,682 of 4,133
@rifi also thanks to Sophie for keeping away all the toe demons lol

Aug 15, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,684 of 4,133
@Beefy We can't discount @Viper2005's always awesome Audeze gear.

I guess the difference there is, and I'm ashamed to say this, I've never heard an Audeze headphone. I'm keen to hear some obviously, but they just don't get the motor running. Plus, the sheer presence of your stat amps impress in a way that no dynamic amp can possibly match.

I was actually weighing up the new LCD-X vs the Focal Clear when I jumped back in a few months back. But then I literally weighed them up. I have enough tension in my neck as it is on a daily basis, balancing an extra 200 g on top of that is a non-starter!

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #3,686 of 4,133
Great meet as always! It was nice seeing the gang again!
Thanks Rifi for hosting, and thanks to the ppl that brought the yummy foods!

Aug 16, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #3,687 of 4,133
Did anyone take any pictures at all? It'd be neat to do a juxtaposition of the recent stuff vs our more humble beginnings from waaaaaay back in the day.

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #3,688 of 4,133
You and my buddy Chris got a massive crash course, going from entry level iems and a Sony V6 to... well... tickling Stax SR-007/009, Audeze LCD-4, ZMF Aeolus, Hifiman HE-6, etc. Granted, it took all of us years to get to that point. I can imagine it may have been overwhelming for you two when there was just soooo much that was new.
Lots of info definitely. That said it gave me some ideas where I might like to go in this hobby. The DAC of JP (like Richard’s) will probably be a starting point. The other interesting one was the “Mojo”(sp?) Though as cool as it was physically I think the other was interesting from a growth potential once I learn more.
Really a great evening. I was blown away by the Stax equipment.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,689 of 4,133
Lots of info definitely. That said it gave me some ideas where I might like to go in this hobby. The DAC of JP (like Richard’s) will probably be a starting point. The other interesting one was the “Mojo”(sp?) Though as cool as it was physically I think the other was interesting from a growth potential once I learn more.
Really a great evening. I was blown away by the Stax equipment.

JP and Richard have the RME ADI-2 DAC.
@ecwl had his Chord Hugo there, but he also has the smaller Chord Mojo (which he did not bring this time)

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #3,690 of 4,133
Sorry I couldn't make it guys. Had the Feliks system ready to go and my wife decided to celebrate my daughter's 33rd birthday one day early.. Sounds like you had a great meet. Hopefully next time.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back