Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Feb 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,983 of 4,134
Cool. I haven't heard of Starkey before, but glad to see you're still around.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,984 of 4,134

Do you currently have one? I'd be interested in hearing it. Or if you don't have one but are considering getting one, I might be interested in ordering a second and splitting shipping costs. (depends on how much damage getting my washer fixed/replaced will do to my wallet)

No sorry, just contemplating one for myself. But I just bought some new office speakers yesterday, so the renewed budget for DIY goodies has just evaporated......
redface.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,985 of 4,134
An back again, sorry guys I've just been that busy. I've yet to hear anything fron Oppo Nathan. I don't know, my gut tells me I'm not missing much when Oppo is involved. Hey Nathan, you ever consider building a Garage1217 amp? They're not bad little amps and I'm guessing you'd enjoy doing a build

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,986 of 4,134
Hey guys I'm getting back into headphones again and hopefully I'll be able to make some meets for once!

I have a pair of ATH-AD2000x's on the way and currently have a GoVibe Martini amp I've been using with my Phiaton MS400's.

Now I sold my Pico DAC when I left so I'm in the market for a new DAC. I've been looking at Schiit's product and their Bifrost has piqued my interest.

Before I pull the trigger has anyone here had experience with Schiit's products?

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,988 of 4,134
Hey guys I'm getting back into headphones again and hopefully I'll be able to make some meets for once!

I have a pair of ATH-AD2000x's on the way and currently have a GoVibe Martini amp I've been using with my Phiaton MS400's.

Now I sold my Pico DAC when I left so I'm in the market for a new DAC. I've been looking at Schiit's product and their Bifrost has piqued my interest.

Before I pull the trigger has anyone here had experience with Schiit's products?

Schiit makes good stuff. I'd pick Bifrost over Gungnir. Or just go all out and get the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack. Actually if you don't mind pro audio stuff, I saw a really nice Ultra Lite Mk3 on kijiji in that same price range (kinda tempted to pick that up myself, but I already have something similar).

Ummm, has the thread been pruned?!?!

It was locked and I guess someone pruned the last week of posts. I got admin to open it back up.

I still like the Oppo stuff. If their PM3 holds up I think it will be a very strong contender.

I also said you need to get a better microphone
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,989 of 4,134
I've got some Schiit, works well for me. I was?/am? going to get the Yggdrasil when it comes out. Have been eyeing the Ragnarok also.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,991 of 4,134

I'm a big fan of Schiit gear, their stuff sounds great and are built like tanks!
What connection will you be using from source to Bifrost?

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,992 of 4,134
Only sources I have at the moment is my laptop/iPod/phone so I'll be connecting with USB.

In the past I've been running Foobar2k FLAC to DAC via USB.

Seems more praise for Schiit than anything else so I'll be getting the Bifrost soon. I see myself eventually upgrading but first I need to pay off my student loans then I'll get the bigger toys haha.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Maybe I should get an amp while I'm at it. Couple threads have mentioned I should use an amp with an output impedance below 10 to drive the ATH-AD2000x's.

Edit: Has anyone tried using Plex to stream their music library? I've set up my own Plex server for streaming movies and it's been working very well. I'll test it out myself with music once my gear gets in :)

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,993 of 4,134
The Ragnarok is the only Schiit gear that has really "wowed" me. I flat out did not like the Lyr or Mjolnir/Gungnir. The Magni/Modi are ok for the price. I liked the Bifrost. I thought the Asgard 2 was quite good. Vali is interesting but I can see it being polarizing; I liked it with the LCD2. I've got mixed feelings about the Wyrd but that's because I've been having compatibility issues.
Edit: Maybe I should get an amp while I'm at it. Couple threads have mentioned I should use an amp with an output impedance below 10 to drive the ATH-AD2000x's.

Edit: Has anyone tried using Plex to stream their music library? I've set up my own Plex server for streaming movies and it's been working very well. I'll test it out myself with music once my gear gets in
smily_headphones1.gif

The general rule is you want an output impedance at least 8-10x lower than your load. The AD2000x is 40ohms, so your amp should be a maximum 4-5 ohm. Just about any solid state amp should hit this easily, except maybe some TPA6120 based amps that have that 10ohm resister slapped on the outputs.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,994 of 4,134
Just spotted this on kijiji for anyone interested in a dac: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pro-audio-recording/winnipeg/audio-quest-dragonfly-v1-2/1053601454?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,995 of 4,134
  If there's any truth to the idea that trouble comes in threes, then hopefully you're good for a while.

And more house woes crop up and I'm another 1.5k in the hole... geez at this rate I'll have to give up on audio for a bit. And I'm still waiting on a repair quote for my amps...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back