Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Dec 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,051 of 4,133
From what I remember Lunatica had a pair of 535's and he wasn't overly impressed with them. Supposedly according to some people they're not to far off sounding from the Westone 4's. For whatever reason Shure has never really intrigued me.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,052 of 4,133
So no one else interested in anything from avshop or partsconnexion?

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,056 of 4,133
I was kinda looking at the Headroom b-stock T50rp. Not too bad overall, although their shipping rates are high so you have to order a few things to make it worthwhile. 

I'm sitting at about the halfway mark at avshop. Trying to decide if I should drop a headphone into the cart just to make free shipping, or cut out some of the extraneous stuff and just get the few pieces I need and suck it up for shipping.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,057 of 4,133
Soooo? Any comparisons between the headphones at the meet? That would be nice! I really wanted to hear the LCD2's wish I could have made it.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,058 of 4,133
I've posted impressions of the LCD2 vs HE-6 a few pages back.

The Denon D5000 is a very nice headphone and laid back, somewhat similar to the LCD2. I find the LCD2 clearer in the midrange (which is what orthos are generally renown for), but more aggressive in the bass whereas the D5000 extends deep but doesn't overwhelm. Comfort on the Denons is also phenomenal.

The big Sennheisers are always "steady wins the race" kind of sound. Strong performers in all areas, good comfort, I find it hard to nitpick any aspect of them. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,059 of 4,133
Quote:

Yes, I realise that customs would be the ideal solution. Now, you've got me thinking... my buddy is using the Shure's and he says they are great.

I've never been a big shure fan myself. There's nothing really wrong with the brand they've just never turned my crank. Considering you have the RE 262's I'm surprised you're making a grab for the Shures. Why don't you look into VSonic GR 07. They're supposed to be great sounding for the price. If you want to go customs there are cheaper options out there such as 1964 Ears V3 and the entry level models of Ultimate Ears.

Say by the way, anyone heard anything about the 1964 Ears V6? Not a lot of keystrokes about them on the net for whatever reason.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,062 of 4,133
Hoping to get a nice pair for christmas, and buy a cMoy amp afterwards. I'd really love to make it to one of those meetups in the future, I hope I'm able to find transportation. (hartlocker by the way, changed pseudonym after a while away)

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,063 of 4,133
Quote:
Hoping to get a nice pair for christmas, and buy a cMoy amp afterwards. I'd really love to make it to one of those meetups in the future, I hope I'm able to find transportation. (hartlocker by the way, changed pseudonym after a while away)

If I'm hosting (which I usually am), there's a bus stop literally in front of the house.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,065 of 4,133
Quote:
Soooo? Any comparisons between the headphones at the meet? That would be nice! I really wanted to hear the LCD2's wish I could have made it.

Quote:
I've posted impressions of the LCD2 vs HE-6 a few pages back.

The Denon D5000 is a very nice headphone and laid back, somewhat similar to the LCD2. I find the LCD2 clearer in the midrange (which is what orthos are generally renown for), but more aggressive in the bass whereas the D5000 extends deep but doesn't overwhelm. Comfort on the Denons is also phenomenal.

The big Sennheisers are always "steady wins the race" kind of sound. Strong performers in all areas, good comfort, I find it hard to nitpick any aspect of them. 

I liked the LCD2s, and would like to spend more time with them, but as Nathan says, the big Sennheisers are tough to beat.  The LCD2s seemed (to me) like not a lot of improvement, if any, over my HD600s, for four times the price.  The sound signature was quite similar - a bit on the dark side, with maybe a tiny bit more sparkle.  The HE-6 was a different beast altogether, more forward, and not really my cup of tea.  But, to each one's own.

I was also quite intrigued by the sound of the K702 - it sounded really nice to my ears.  I hope I get to spend some time with one in the future.  Maybe someone would be up for a couple of days' exchange in early January?  HD600 for K702?  I'll be in town again, staying at a hotel with nothing to do at night but listen to music.

I reiterate my desire to try 'stats, now that I've compared among the highest rated orthos to my HD600.  And I want to try out an HD800.  Someone please buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back