Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Nov 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #992 of 4,133
Quote:
I completely forgot to take pictures
frown.gif

haha damn, i guess i'll just have to check out those lcd's in real life 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #994 of 4,133
Glad something at CA is cheap. Most of their stuff is quite overpriced. A few days ago I was driving by and they had a sign up announcing they were going to start carrying some new brand. Not sure what new brand they had in mind and the sign didn't say.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #995 of 4,133
As loathe as I am to think it, Monster might be a possibility.

You know, we need to get someone in the community to order a pair of Mad Dogs. Then we could do a LCD2 vs HE-6 vs Paradox vs Mad Dog ortho shootout
cool.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #996 of 4,133
Quote:
As loathe as I am to think it, Monster might be a possibility.

You know, we need to get someone in the community to order a pair of Mad Dogs. Then we could do a LCD2 vs HE-6 vs Paradox vs Mad Dog ortho shootout
cool.gif

good call, somebody with lost of cash volunteer 
tongue.gif
 On a side note if this massdrop gets low enough i might be buying a matrix m-stage

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #997 of 4,133
My Paradox should be ready around the end of January beginning of February so there is a bit of time to con ummm I mean convince someone to invest in a Mad dog. You think Jim wouldn't mind bringing out his LCD-2 again?

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #998 of 4,133
This is a very expensive table right now...

(click to enlage)

On the left: speaker tap, Nuforce Icon2 amp, Nuforce power supply and usb converter, feeding the DAC-100 and Bifrost simultaneously
centre stack: Nuforce DAC-100 (top), HAP-100 (bottom), HE-6 (on top), AKG Sextett MP (in front)
right stack: Schiit Bifrost (bottom), Lyr (top)
right: Bottlehead Crack + Speedball, LCD2 (in front)

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #999 of 4,133
Quote:

(click to enlage)

On the left: speaker tap, Nuforce Icon2 amp, Nuforce power supply and usb converter, feeding the DAC-100 and Bifrost simultaneously
centre stack: Nuforce DAC-100 (top), HAP-100 (bottom), HE-6 (on top), AKG Sextett MP (in front)

incredibly jealous

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,000 of 4,133
I just wanted to have the 1000th post in this thread!!!
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,001 of 4,133
Quote:

(click to enlage)

Wow! nice (and worth it no doubt)

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,003 of 4,133
I'm more working on reviews for the Nuforce DAC-100 and HAP-100. The Lyr and Bifrost I borrowed from asqw for comparison purposes, and the LCD2 came with them. 

The LCD2 and HE-6 are quite literally like a night and day set of brothers. The Audeze with bass emphasis and a slightly smeared midbass, the Hifiman with an odd fuzzy ridge in the treble that sometimes is great for detail and other times piercing (though note that I'm really picking nits here; both headphones are fantastic). From a critical listening standpoint I would give the nod to the HE-6. For easy listening, definitely the LCD2. 

I'm surprised that I've been able to hear a difference between the dacs. It's incredibly tiny, but it's there. I'm giving the edge to the DAC-100 here in terms of treble detail and speed. It does cost more than the Bifrost, though it has a built-in amp as well.

As for Lyr vs HAP-100, I haven't had too much of a chance to compare them yet. The Lyr has gobs of power, easily more than the HAP-100. Whether it's "better", I can't say yet.  Still not enough for the HE-6 though; that one I'm running off the Icon2 speaker tap. Funny thing, I still really like the tonality of my Sextett from the Crack, possibly more than the LCD2 and HE-6. For a fraction of the cost, the modded T50rp does a really good job as well.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #1,004 of 4,133
Speaking as someone whose stolen some listening time on your Sextette and Crack I think the Sextette is a very underrated headphone. It sounds very nice from the Crack amp. I really should keep an eye open on the FS forums for a good pair.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,005 of 4,133
The Sextetts went through a big craze a while ago, but the supply has now run thin. The only ones you see for sale these days tend to be pretty beat up or have been refurbished. I paid nearly double what they go for now... but then again mine were new old stock and still in the box. I have never seen another one in as good condition as mine. 

If you pick up a used one though, give me a shout to clean it out for you. There will likely be a lot of deteriorated foam inside that will need to taken out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back