Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,031 of 4,133
Hey Nathan, Would you like my Hegel in your dac review?

Haha, sure why not. I'm hoping to do some listening crunch next week.

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,032 of 4,133
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3,034 of 4,133
You'll have to colour me skeptical over that. First of all, a clone is no guarantee of quality. It's a huge assumption that they even managed to copy the circuit (and in the likelihood that they couldn't get it, they'd just shove in a different one), and the parts quality is likely to be lower. Furthermore, Goldmund is notorious for re-badging existing products/OEM modules with a nice sticker or chassis plate on top and multiplying price by ten.

Yeah the clone price is cheap, but I wouldn't be under any illusions that I'd be getting a 11k product. Beyond that, for me I still don't like giving my money to outfits that make their living ripping off other people's designs. Things cost money because it took experience, R&D, prototying, servicing, etc, to create it. I'd sooner buy authentic products on the used market and at least support the local economy that way.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,035 of 4,133
Goldmund is notorious for re-badging existing products/OEM modules with a nice sticker or chassis plate on top and multiplying price by ten.
Thanks for pointing this out! I actually had no idea that Goldmund did that. And this isn't really an exact clone per se. It's completely lacking the DAC module, which I assume is actually a major section of the THA-2 if I remember correctly.

Jun 11, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,036 of 4,133
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,037 of 4,133
Okay, so we should pick another day for a meet. I'm willing to host at my place in Fort Richmond; probably make it a bbq like last year.
If we're aiming for Sundays, my next few are unavailable which takes us into July. Potential conflicts though...
July 2 - Canada day long weekend
July 9 - folk fest
July 16 - ??
July 23 - Fringe festival

I am not currently planning anything on those days, so what works best for you guys?

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,044 of 4,133
I'm available July 2nd and 23rd. Since the redesign I haven't been using this site too much. I did really appreciate it when you tagged everyone by name to let them know a meet was coming up, the email made it really helpful.
The 16th is possible for me if it's in the later afternoon/ evening.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #3,045 of 4,133
Ok, let's see if the notification system works for poking people... otherwise I'll send out individual pms to everybody.

Next meet planned for Sunday July 16th
time: mid/late afternoon-ish?
location: Fort Richmond (backyard bbq) - not posting my address publicly, but if you don't have it then send me a pm

edit: wow these are the only ones that seem to activate on the forum... hope this works:
@SennheiserMiser @rifi
@ecwl @Leftbehind @-iKa- @AdamAtAdvance @Nexolek
@Awah @orkney @dahan @aqsw
@Tuco1965 @bearFNF
@devouringone3 @Viper2005 @Velomane
@tacgunner1 @q2klepto @cocopro
@Borbafett @Energeezer

edit 2: these are the names where the mention doesn't seem to work... so I will have to message these folks individually later assuming their profiles are working
acidbasement; ajm; headcred; mythless; lwc726; cyberidd;
trapper32; theblackfox; pincher; hotaudio40; sckeith; JFroese; deeplogic;
Vault101; SVC52; Ckaz; yoyea; panda-R;
DigitalFreak; bvan37; Greyowl; DocTavia; PhrozenLife; ElmerK; gnuZ; JasonLam;
dscythe; sunjigglet; howlndog; fantus; Kevorkazito; Docks;
mechamits; n9eryeah; cannednoob; ThickGlasses;
dakki12345; JayMitch; ashmeet908; drambit; Beefy
amtasd; dockie7; ddeitz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back