Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Mar 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,636 of 4,133
  Welcome to Head-Fi Velomane!

Sorry about your wallet 
evil_smiley.gif

No kidding... two amps and a pair of HE-5LE in one month. Still need a DAC though.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,637 of 4,133
Are you looking for anything in particular? What amps are you playing with?

I'd be curious to compare the HE-5LE vs the HE-6. Do you have a balanced cable for it?

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,638 of 4,133

I'd be curious to compare the HE-5LE vs the HE-6. Do you have a balanced cable for it?

(cough) Just pulled the trigger on a HE-400 (cough)
Nathan sorry about being a no show at the meet :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,639 of 4,133

(cough) Just pulled the trigger on a HE-400 (cough)
Nathan sorry about being a no show at the meet :frowning2:

Haha, nice. Only the 400 though? I thought you'd start entering the crazy game with the HE-4
cool.gif

And hey, we still need to get together to compare the Paradox/Alphas vs Mad Dogs (the owner has graciously allowed me to keep it for a little while longer).

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,640 of 4,133

Haha, nice. Only the 400 though? I thought you'd start entering the crazy game with the HE-4
cool.gif

And hey, we still need to get together to compare the Paradox/Alphas vs Mad Dogs (the owner has graciously allowed me to keep it for a little while longer).

I'll try and see if I can get free in the near future. Sorry about leaving you hanging

I was able to grab the he 400 for 250 as an open box shipped from headamp so i went for it.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,642 of 4,133

TBH, I'm not sure what direction to go with a DAC. There's so much information to take in. If a Schiit Bifrost were to magically appear at a decent price, I would start with that. As to amps, I have a Graham Slee Solo, with an upgraded board on it's way to me from the UK. The other amp, still in production, is a Virtue Audio One.3. My HE-5LE came with a stock cable. I wouldn't mind bringing them to the next meet, as I could also benefit from some local expertise i.e. the advantage of balanced vs. not balanced, benefit of a $500 DAC vs. a $2000, etc. You get the picture: I'm a real newb who tends to jump in with both feet.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,643 of 4,133
I have a Bifrost and a Rega DAC that I really should get rid of to make space  :p

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,644 of 4,133
  That's a pretty good deal, I think my next pair of cans is going to be the HE-400i.

If you're interested just go to the headamp returns page and you'll see the deal is still on. They have a pretty good deal on an open box Foxtex TH600

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #1,645 of 4,133

TBH, I'm not sure what direction to go with a DAC. There's so much information to take in. If a Schiit Bifrost were to magically appear at a decent price, I would start with that. As to amps, I have a Graham Slee Solo, with an upgraded board on it's way to me from the UK. The other amp, still in production, is a Virtue Audio One.3. My HE-5LE came with a stock cable. I wouldn't mind bringing them to the next meet, as I could also benefit from some local expertise i.e. the advantage of balanced vs. not balanced, benefit of a $500 DAC vs. a $2000, etc. You get the picture: I'm a real newb who tends to jump in with both feet.

Ooh I was really tempted to get in on the Virtue 3 when I heard about it. I've looked at a bunch of those Tripath options and teh Virtue was one of the better/more interesting ones out there (others being the TBI Millenia and Winsome Mouse).

I've got an extra balanced cable if you're interested (I have no used for it since my HE-6 are hardwired).

I find dacs hit diminishing returns very very quickly, and picking out their differences takes a while to discern. Then again, a lot of people on these forums will put source first (but then again, there are also people who'd spent 10x the amount on a dac and amp than the headphone itself... which is silly). I've played around with various dacs in the $20 range up to $1k+. I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been around the block.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,646 of 4,133
I just spotted an AKG K702 on kijiji. Is that from one of you guys?

p.s. I just had a K612 come in from a trade last week. Not too shabby. I'll probably put it up for trade fodder soon, but if anyone wants a listen let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back