WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #197 of 234
It does my heart good to see so few IE users.

Firefox user here.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #198 of 234
This was hard to pick. I use different browsers depending on the situation and setup. For the most part, I stay clear of Firefox when it comes to laptops because it is such a resource hog.

At work I stay almost primarily in IE because almost everyone at work does so I need to be used to the environment they are in when I'm troubleshooting (no, telling to switch to whatever flavor is popular amongst the script kiddie herd is not acceptable troubleshooting).

On my hackintosh I flop between minefield (only decent browser with full screen view) and chrome. On the Sony TT and Z I use IE, Chrome, Maxthon, and Opera. Most of my other laptops tend to have those as well, though most of them have Firefox as well.

For the tablets I've been playing around with them though I'm curious about Mozilla's Fennec build since it supposed to be rather touch friendly.

At my work desktops I have almost every browser I can get my hands on so I can be in the same environment when I need to pinpoint someone's problem or guide them through the menus because I lack the mental wherewithal to memorize them all.

But there is seriously too much hate for IE. There are plenty of sites that work worse or do not work at all with Firefox or others and that's where IE can be rather useful. There's no need to be limited to one browser. I have different browsers opened right now. My work stuff is all on IE and I'm browsing head-fi with Chrome. It's free anyways, so no need to be so reserved
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #201 of 234
Firefox has been my browser of choice since it came out 6 years ago. I love the extensions, the themes, just the whole feel of it. I tried all the rest and I just keep coming back. I use it on my macs as well.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #203 of 234
I recently tried Chrome and I do like how fast it is. I don't really need extensions so it hasn't bothered me. The only issue I have with it is that I can't log into my work's SSL VPN ntetwork. Thats one of the few times that I have to use IE8. But otherwise on a Win7 machine, it works quite well. It has replaced firefox on my Windows system. But firefox is still my main browser on my Mac.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #204 of 234
IE8 isn't bad, it really isn't. The problem (for me) with IE8 is that they still haven't fixed annoyances (some small, some major) from the IE6 days - we're talking like 6 years ago here - while adding new annoyances (Anti-Phishing filter, Accelerators (AUUUGHH!!) and other stupid slowdowns with unforseen usefulness).

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #206 of 234
Has anyone done a comparison with a speed-tuned Firefox versus a speed-tuned Opera? I discovered eventually that Chrome isn't for me, but in the speed tests i've seen it's stock Opera vs. stock Firefox, which is dumb because I highly doubt those looking for maximum speed / stability would just use whatever's given to them -- at least in the case of IE and Firefox, I know this to be true as both become much faster and stabler by messing with them and/or installing AddOns...

EDIT: (disabling unneede "features", adblock plugins, etc)

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #207 of 234
Google Chrome Dev, with Firefox as a backup in case the current dev update is screwy. Also Firefox for pr0n, since its plugins are good for downloading it.

It's fast, the interface is minimalist, attractive, and easy to use. It does almost everything I want by default, and a couple plugins cover the rest. Updates every week. I'm not a fan of Opera but I have it installed on the family computer just so they don't use IE. Firefox was great for a while, but it got too slow for me. Took forever to start because I needed to use so many plugins.

Also, it's nice to see the poll dominated by Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. IE may have the biggest share, but anyone internet-savvy enough to know what a forum is uses something else, it seems.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #208 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long time user of Maxthon,it matches my love of Chinese amps.

You do realize that, at its heart, Maxthon uses the same terrible rendering as IE, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 isn't bad, it really isn't. The problem (for me) with IE8 is that they still haven't fixed annoyances (some small, some major) from the IE6 days - we're talking like 6 years ago here - while adding new annoyances (Anti-Phishing filter, Accelerators (AUUUGHH!!) and other stupid slowdowns with unforseen usefulness).

Compared to IE7, and especially IE6, it's not that bad. Compared to Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, yes, it is that bad. IE9 looks somewhat promising, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone done a comparison with a speed-tuned Firefox versus a speed-tuned Opera? I discovered eventually that Chrome isn't for me, but in the speed tests i've seen it's stock Opera vs. stock Firefox, which is dumb because I highly doubt those looking for maximum speed / stability would just use whatever's given to them -- at least in the case of IE and Firefox, I know this to be true as both become much faster and stabler by messing with them and/or installing AddOns...

EDIT: (disabling unneede "features", adblock plugins, etc)

There's nothing that a "speed-tuned" browser will do to actually make the rendering or script execution faster. The only thing you can do is tune some of the network settings (like pipelining) to get better page load performance (know you can do this in Firefox, not sure about other browsers). Oh and keep add-ons/plugins to a minimum (of the 31 I have installed in FF, only 10 are actually enabled, lol)

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #209 of 234
Quote::You do realize that, at its heart, Maxthon uses the same terrible rendering as IE, right?

Its the ability to customise and the interface that I am interested in.I could not give a continental about a few nano seconds here and there.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #210 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantonese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opera all the way for me. Fast, minimalistic, low in system resources, and innovative. Only thing they need more is publicity... they just don't get enough credit.

On the mobile end, Opera gets a lot of love. The latest Opera mobile is just superb! I just hope they get the same adjustable zoom control they had with the last one and I will be one happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back