WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?
Apr 29, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #226 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by hectuero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's got nothing to do with nanoseconds. The speed difference is in the hundreds of milliseconds (that's hundreds of millions of nanseconds, by the way), so next time you throw around "statistics" do it accurately. Further, IE is the worst at actually even rendering pages accurately and correctly. So IE (and thus Maxthon) does the crappiest job showing you the web and does it slower than browsers that more accurately render pages.

(not all of what I said is true if you're using the pre-release Maxthon3 and the Webkit rather than Trident rendering engine)

Big Deal.

May 3, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #227 of 234
Been using Chrome since the beta where flash wouldn't work at all.

Wonderful improvements during 2009 and early 2010, but lately it has been too finicky when loading flash-heavy pages. Often I have to kill chrome.exe because it won't finish loading the pages I opened at all.

May 6, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #228 of 234
Undeniable Proof of Chrome Superiority:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0&feature=player_embedded#!

May 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #230 of 234
That is a pretty awesome video :)

Above being said, I recall Chrome 4.x being definitely and noticeably slower on my system than Ff 3.x + FasterFox -- now, you may say that comparing these two is cheating, but I would argue that any user that cares about loading speed within Firefox is going to use this plugin.  And with a plugin as effective and ubiquotous as that, it's kind of dumb to NOT use it.

Anyway, page loading, rendering, et al times were longer in Chrome.  Was I doing something wrong?

Also the detailed info on the video says "To run speed tests on page rendering times, saving locally and loading from the local disk can help reduce this variability."

Nobody cares about theoretical speed.  What matters is real-world speed, on normal PCs, under normal usage conditions, using normal webpages that said users will visit frequently, loading these pages from a typical cookie-enabled setup, a completely empty cache/cookies setup, and a completely cached setup, and *comparing all three across all browsers*. 

Undeniable Proof of Chrome Superiority:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0&feature=player_embedded#!

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #231 of 234
I decided to switch from Google Chrome to the new Flock Beta version with Google Chromium technology. To me, this is the best of both worlds. I get the security, simplicity, and stability of Google Chrome and the social media capabilities of Flock. I can not wait until they come up with a stable version later this year.

How many others are using the new Flock web browser?

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #232 of 234
MS Windows user at the office.
Where I have been using Firefox since early 2004 - in its pre 1.0 beta stage.

Why? Because it is the most useful browser for MS Windows I have found so far. Not ideal, but it sucks less than its rivals.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #233 of 234
I switch between firefox betas + nightly builds and chrome.

If chrome added a few things I would never use firefox again, they haven't implemented any API to stop you just closing everything, I somehow always manage to click the x when trying to minimize/maximize. Chrome is for sure the fastest browser it looks nice and simple too.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #234 of 234
I got so annoyed with IE7 I removed it. I have tried to re-download it, but I get the message that I already have it. How do I get it back?

In the meantime I now use Firefox as it works better than Chrome with this and the other forum I use. Otherwise both are the same speed and have the facilities I use, which is minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back