Windows 7 - Upgrade or Clean Install?
Jul 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista has been the best-performing, most-stable version of Windows I've ever had on my computers. In fact, every system I've worked on with Vista has run extremely well, assuming it had at least 2GB RAM, and SP1 installed. Turn off UAC, and a few other necessary features, and you're golden.

If Windows 7 is an improvement, I will be a very happy camper.

My experience is the complete opposite of yours.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have to do a clean install once every year, have to keep UAC on because when it's off so many programs don't function properly or freeze, had to install SP2 to resolve issues but when I did my computer did not take the upgrade and screwed everything up so I had to format and start from scratch, and I had to put 3GB of memory and it still isn't enough (and I don't do ANYTHING memory intensive on here). I use my Mac at work for my graphics and I have 1/10 the problems with a Mac that I do with a PC. Squeezecenter streaming lossless or WAV files should only be taking up 1/25 of my router bandwith (and I run it through ethernet) but when streaming music the internet on my girlfriend's laptop through wi-fi runs ridiculously slow. When it goes to sleep for any length of time it crashes. I don't run any virus or spyware software because it just destroys your computer even faster and I had way more problems when I ran that stuff as I do now. I load it in every 6 months and do a clean-up but I hardly ever need it.

If Mac had better internet (and streaming video) compatibility I'd never use a PC again.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn off UAC, and a few other necessary features, and you're golden.

Interesting approach. I must confess I've always had better luck turning off unnecessary features.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have to do a clean install once every year, have to keep UAC on because when it's off so many programs don't function properly or freeze, had to install SP2 to resolve issues but when I did my computer did not take the upgrade and screwed everything up so I had to format and start from scratch, and I had to put 3GB of memory and it still isn't enough (and I don't do ANYTHING memory intensive on here). I use my Mac at work for my graphics and I have 1/10 the problems with a Mac that I do with a PC. Squeezecenter streaming lossless or WAV files should only be taking up 1/25 of my router bandwith (and I run it through ethernet) but when streaming music the internet on my girlfriend's laptop through wi-fi runs ridiculously slow. When it goes to sleep for any length of time it crashes. I don't run any virus or spyware software because it just destroys your computer even faster and I had way more problems when I ran that stuff as I do now. I load it in every 6 months and do a clean-up but I hardly ever need it.

If Mac had better internet (and streaming video) compatibility I'd never use a PC again.

Wow, I can't believe that shopping cart full o' problems you had there. Sounds like WinME all over again to me. You have my sympathies.

Nothing about anti-virus/spyware software "destroys" your PC, assuming you use the right stuff. Norton and McAfee aren't much better than the malware they claim to protect you from. I install Spybot Seach & Destroy, Malware Bytes, and either AVG or Avira Free on every PC I work on, including my own. I've yet to receive a complaint from any clients.

Coming from the DIY PC arena, I mostly see Macs these days as ridiculously overpriced (consdering the similarity of the hardware). The OS is a lot better than it used to be (to the point where I don't mind using a Mac for casual stuff). I would just never pay their premiums though, for anything Apple makes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting approach. I must confess I've always had better luck turning off unnecessary features.

Hahaha, nice catch!

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 38
Yeah, AVG and Spybot are the ones I use when I need to.

Mac has come down in price a lot from where it used to be. You can get a Mac Mini for $500 so I wouldn't call all of them overpriced. For the lack of headache you get from a Mac, I'd say the price is well justified. Sure, they can have problems like any other OS but they don't happen anywhere near as regularly as on a Windows machine. And they look very nice, too. You get what you pay for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 38
I performed an upgrade of Windows 7 (64-bit) on top of my existing Windows Vista (64-bit) install. The install and upgrade was very easy and there was little cleanup (e.g. updating other programs, fixing broken apps) to do afterwards.

While I wouldn't recommend an upgrade for most users, in my case it completed quite successfully.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #23 of 38
you can use either to do an upgrade AFAIK, it's just that the "Upgrade" version is significantly cheaper because it has to verify that you already own a copy of windows.. plus the current pre-order promotion going on makes the 7-Pro upgrade 99$ instead of 199, while the full version is 299.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

are you sure you are setting everything up correctly? running fairly new hardware? current drivers?
some of the problems you list don't make any sense. why would UAC crash programs? 3gb of memory isn't enough?

as for the op's question. no, I suggest clean install. I did an upgrade from vista home premium to vista ultimate and it messed up user permission on my system files. It was my fault since I had fiddled with it, but still it is safer to do a clean install than to have a failed upgrade.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn, that is expensive. that means if you ever need to reinstall everything, you have to first install vista, then 7? seems a colossal waste of time and money. if i buy 7, i will get the full version, but 299$? damn, why?

Then don't get the Ultimate edition - no one needs that.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #27 of 38
@OP~ As a rule, always a clean install. Always. I keep all my miscellaneous files off the OS' drive, so saving them never used to be an issue. Vista likes to play hide & seek with some program's user profiles, saves and settings, which can be a PITA to rescue before reinstalling.

That just leaves applications to reinstall. Admittedly, this kinda sucks, but I've found that you wind up not installing those programs you never use any longer, and in the end have less crap sitting around on the disk, taking space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no, no. If you turn off UAC, you might as well run XP. UAC is the best thing to happen to Windows ever. True multi-user security.

Yes. And if it was only half as useful as root, it might actually be worth something.

UAC has always been the first thing in Vista to go on my installations, followed immediately by SuperFetch, ReadyBoost and indexing.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #28 of 38
I am trying the RC right now and AFAIK at least for XP to win7, I had to do a clean install. I suggest you do a clean install. Yeah and I also do not get the Ultimate edition, from what I understand, you can change languages and use Bitlocker with that edition (I don't know if I would use them). I think I'll just end up with the Home Premium edition Upgrade.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no, no. If you turn off UAC, you might as well run XP. UAC is the best thing to happen to Windows ever. True multi-user security.

I find UAC unnecessary and intrusive. I don't need to ask for permission to use my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back