Windows 7 - Upgrade or Clean Install?
Jul 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm planning on getting Windows 7. I'm currently using Vista and debating whether or not I should just do an upgrade from Vista (i.e. installing over existing OS) or do I clean install. I know doing a clean install is supposed to be better but I'm thinking of what a pain it is going to be re-installing all of my apps, files, etc.

What are the dangers/drawbacks of installing Win7 over Vista? I want to take advantage of MS's upgrade program so I need to decide soon. Thanks in advance.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 38
It's always better to make a clean install, so you get rid of unused/unwanted/unneeded files
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 38
Agreed about clean install always being better, though to save money I got in on the pre-order upgrade. There is a trick to install Vista Upgrade as a clean install so hopefully it will work with 7, if not I'll just do a clean install of Vista before upgrading it to 7.. no big deal unless you reinstall windows very often.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 38
I would go for the clean install as well. If you've got a problem with installing applications and moving files and such you should really consider a better way to organise them. That's also a good reason to go for a clean one. Start over and start being more organised. That's what I did a while ago and I haven't regret it ever since. Having all your files exactly in the right place saves a lot of trouble. Same goes for the applications. Just my thoughts.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed about clean install always being better, though to save money I got in on the pre-order upgrade. There is a trick to install Vista Upgrade as a clean install so hopefully it will work with 7, if not I'll just do a clean install of Vista before upgrading it to 7.. no big deal unless you reinstall windows very often.

Towards the bottom of this page, it mentions that you can do either a clean install or an upgrade . It looks like buying the upgrade version will allow you to do either. Anyone know for sure?

Windows 7 - Buy and download from Microsoft Store

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 38
Thanks for the heads up! I just pre-ordered myself a copy. I hope it isn't the pile of **** Vista is.

Until Microsoft grows a pair and gets rid of DOS, nothing will change. They are using a shell on top of 28 year old technology. Why can't they get with the picture like Mac, Linux, and Solaris? Unix is obviously the way to go and Microsoft just can't wrap their head around it. They must keep putting out DOS-based garbage intentionally so that people need to constantly upgrade and buy tech-support plans. Instead, they need to invent something new from the ground up that integrates hardware and software like Unix does. Hell, everytime my computer goes to sleep it crashes.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 38
Windows has not been built on DOS since WinME. To my knowledge, the new NT (XP, Vista, 7) line only has a (crap ass) DOS emulator for old apps.

And it is all ground-up work (no pun intended). The NTFS file system is brand spanking new, and incompatible with DOS.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but maybe you just have a bad Windows install? My XP install has been rock solid since 2003.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows has not been built on DOS since WinME. To my knowledge, the new NT (XP, Vista, 7) line only has a (crap ass) DOS emulator for old apps.

And it is all ground-up work (no pun intended). The NTFS file system is brand spanking new, and incompatible with DOS.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but maybe you just have a bad Windows install? My XP install has been rock solid since 2003.

You are correct, NT, however, is still showing it's age. We need a filesystem that does not fragment, firstly, as it is responsible for much of the "code rot" that people experience. The registry needs to be less intrusive. Multithreading and multitasking need some optimization (this has been largely alleviated in Win7) and anything with the extension mst just needs to be integrated better. MSCs (msconfig, devmgmt) are lifesavers for IT people, but to the average user they are inaccessible and user unfriendly. I have had a good experience with Vista, so of course my Windows 7 experience has been stellar - I love the operating systme (After a couple of changes [taskbar small icons, ungroup except when full) I am truly enjoying Windows 7 - It takes the power and flexibility of Windows and makes it more stable, faster , cleaner, and altogether a pleasant experience. I highly recommend the preorder.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 38
They did (mostly). But they did not redo the registry, MSC, or filesystem. They filesystem was due for an overhaul, but WinFS was scrapped when Vista fell behind schedule.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

You are correct, NT, however, is still showing it's age. We need a filesystem that does not fragment, firstly, as it is responsible for much of the "code rot" that people experience.

No such thing. ext2, ext3, ext4, reiser, HFS, you name it, all fragment under the necessary circumstances. And none of them provide the fine-grained user and group-level permissions that NTFS does. Quote:

I thought Microsoft redid the entire NT kernel for Vista?

No. Vista was a larger change than, say, 2000->XP, but it's still built on the same codebase. Quote:

They filesystem was due for an overhaul, but WinFS was scrapped when Vista fell behind schedule.

WinFS was never a file system. It was essentially a set of universal metadata.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 38
I just did a Clean install on my netbook to windows 7 and it sucked big time!! Although this is the better option finding all the drivers were doing my head in and also all my hardware like webcam, and finger print reader no longer worked or no longer worked properly. Most of this hardware only has drives made for windows vista which works fine in windows 7 but not when your trying to install them while in windows 7. Even with compatability mode they still did not all work properly. Although i was gradually fixing these problems one by one i decided i didn't have the time to i reinstalled a clean version of Vista used the driver disk that came with my netbook so that everything worked again (much quicker and easier) and then straight away did the upgrade option to windows 7. Although it took forever its now finally done and everything is working prefect.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 38
I've made it a policy always do a clean install for any new Windows OS- I've just had too many issues in the past with upgrade installs.

Back when I ran Windows 95 through XP I wiped my machine 2-3 times a year. Vista seems to be much more stable over time so that figure is now only once every 1-1/2 years or so. If your Vista install is older than that chances are that you're due for a format anyways.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up! I just pre-ordered myself a copy. I hope it isn't the pile of **** Vista is.

Vista has been the best-performing, most-stable version of Windows I've ever had on my computers. In fact, every system I've worked on with Vista has run extremely well, assuming it had at least 2GB RAM, and SP1 installed. Turn off UAC, and a few other necessary features, and you're golden.

If Windows 7 is an improvement, I will be a very happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back