Windows 11 Bluetooth codecs
Aug 16, 2022 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Nick24JJ

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone tell me, please, which Bluetooth codecs are supported on Windows 11?
I think, SBC and AAC are there but is aptX also supported?

Thank you

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 61
Can anyone tell me, please, which Bluetooth codecs are supported on Windows 11?
I think, SBC and AAC are there but is aptX also supported?

Thank you

It depends on your hardware and driver support. PCs can come with several different BT modules and each has its' own capabilities. Most modern PCs support at least SBC, AptX and AAC in Windows 10 and 11.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 61
It depends on your hardware and driver support. PCs can come with several different BT modules and each has its' own capabilities. Most modern PCs support at least SBC, AptX and AAC in Windows 10 and 11.
Thank you very much for your reply!

This is my laptop. Full specifications given on the webpage, Can you please tell me IF it supports aptX, and if so, how can I enable it?

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 61

This is my laptop. Full specifications given on the webpage, Can you please tell me IF it supports aptX, and if so, how can I enable it?

I can't tell from the web page. Windows is not very user friendly when it comes to bluetooth. The best I can say is it almost certainly supports AAC (as you already know) and might support AptX, if HP supplies the driver support.

The way bluetooth works is that the client device queries the host for support and selects the codec. Basically Windows doesn't determine the codec, the device does.

Maybe we can figure it out, depending on your device.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 61

That model uses an Intel AX200 chipset for BT, so it does have the capability. Not sure if HP has licensed APTx on that model, so it may not be available.

Couple of suggestions:

Go to HP’s driver download site and see if you can find an APTx driver. If you find it, install it
Go to Intel’s driver download site and see if they offer a generic APTx driver
Check Windows Update to see if any optional drivers are available
Connect a device that supports APTx and check the Windows Device properties to see if BT is connecting using APTx or APTx HD

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 61
Thanks a lot, guys, for helping me decipher this matter!

I'm posting a screenshot. Please, have a look and tell me what I can do.
Why is my Windows 11 Home selecting AAC?

Thank you!

PS: why is my FiiO UTWS5 using that old Microsoft driver? Is this normal?

Attachments

• btintel.png
    btintel.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 0
  • utws5.png
    utws5.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 61
Thanks a lot, guys, for helping me decipher this matter!

I'm posting a screenshot. Please, have a look and tell me what I can do.
Why is my Windows 11 Home selecting AAC?

Thank you!

As I said before, Windows doesn't select the codec, the client device does. What is your client? I would think you would use AptX Adaptive if you can.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 61
As I said before, Windows doesn't select the codec, the client device does. What is your client? I would think you would use AptX Adaptive if you can.
I am connecting my FiiO UTWS5 with my laptop via Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 61
I am connecting my FiiO UTWS5 with my laptop via Bluetooth.

Configure the UTWS5 with the FiiO Control App (iOS or Android) to use Aptx Adaptive (disable AAC). It's pain but that's what should work. For whatever reason Fiio is using AAC as the default.

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 61
Configure the UTWS5 with the FiiO Control App (iOS or Android) to use Aptx Adaptive (disable AAC). It's pain but that's what should work. For whatever reason Fiio is using AAC as the default.
The FiiO UTWS5 defaults to aptX Adaptive on my smartphone. (I then set it to LHDC in the Bluetooth Settings).
I've looked closely in the FiiO Control App on my Android phone but there is nowhere to disable/enable any codecs. My Qudelix-5K has that option, FiiO does not.

PS: the only available option in the FiiO Control App is Game Mode. I've enabled it but it does not make any difference, Windows still select AAC.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 61
That model uses an Intel AX200 chipset for BT, so it does have the capability. Not sure if HP has licensed APTx on that model, so it may not be available.

Couple of suggestions:

Go to HP’s driver download site and see if you can find an APTx driver. If you find it, install it
Go to Intel’s driver download site and see if they offer a generic APTx driver
Check Windows Update to see if any optional drivers are available
Connect a device that supports APTx and check the Windows Device properties to see if BT is connecting using APTx or APTx HD
Thank you for your suggestions!

- I am using the latest Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers provided by the Intel Driver & Support Assistant
- I went to Intel and HP website but I have not found anything.

- When it comes to the Optional available updates on my system, please look at the screenshot. What does it mean when an update is optional? According to Windows Update + the Intel Assistant, I am up to date. Does an optional update revert the drivers to a previous version? Does it install additional drivers? Which ones specifically would you suggest me to install?

Attachments

• optional.png
    optional.png
    277.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 61
The FiiO UTWS5 defaults to aptX Adaptive on my smartphone. (I then set it to LHDC in the Bluetooth Settings).
I've looked closely in the FiiO Control App on my Android phone but there is nowhere to disable/enable any codecs. My Qudelix-5K has that option, FiiO does not.

PS: the only available option in the FiiO Control App is Game Mode. I've enabled it but it does not make any difference, Windows still select AAC.

That's odd, with my FiiO BTR5 there is an option to select Bluetooth Codec. I don't have UTWS5.

A924C339-EF0E-4C92-9CC1-EF658DBF5846.png
CE76A0A9-C121-4020-98BD-6311DF415A18.png

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 61
Your can supposedly disable AAC in Windows with this registry entry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BthA2dp\Parameters]

"BluetoothAacEnable"=dword:00000000

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 61
Thank you for your suggestions!

- I am using the latest Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers provided by the Intel Driver & Support Assistant
- I went to Intel and HP website but I have not found anything.

- When it comes to the Optional available updates on my system, please look at the screenshot. What does it mean when an update is optional? According to Windows Update + the Intel Assistant, I am up to date. Does an optional update revert the drivers to a previous version? Does it install additional drivers? Which ones specifically would you suggest me to install?

Glad to help.

Based on the previous screenshots, it looks like APTx is enabled and available on your laptop. As @rlw6534 posted, the area to focus on is your device and not Windows.

Windows Optional updates are usually targeted fixes that don't need to be applied universally for security or functional enhancement. The generally followed rule for Optional Updates is to not install them unless there is a specific problem you are having that the optional update addresses.

The exception for many is the BIOS update for your system. It may enable other features, possibly including BT. That said, I wouldn't update BIOS until you do 2 things:
  1. Try everything else discussed in this thread
  2. Take a full backup of your system and make sure that the backup is good (try and restore a test file). While BIOS updates are 99.x% dramaless, it can brick your system if interrupted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back