Windows 11 Bluetooth codecs
Jan 13, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #46 of 61
More decades in IT than I’d like to believe have taught me to borrow a phrase from the military - Trust but Verify.

The Optional Upgrades must have had the firmware upgrade as a prerequisite for the updates to change status from optional to automatic.

The big OS and software firms try to find the balance point between having too frequent an update cycle as with the number of users, there are always problems, and too few updates leading to install lag as you experienced. Security fixes (almost) always get distributed but feature updates and point solution fixes with a small user base often end up in Optional Updates to reduce risk. Firmware updates, though overwhelmingly safe, are still considered higher risk upgrades - a power outage or user caused power off can unrecoverably brick a system. Most other updates can be rolled back by the OS.

Hope you have some luck in the product thread - there are probably a number of users with Windows using APTx. Or if not, know what the issue is.
hello, if I may ask, I have a desktop PC, the mobo is an Asus prime Z790-P wifi. Between SBC, aptX, aptX HD and aptX-LL which codecs does it support?

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #47 of 61
Windows 10 and 11 have APTx and no LDAC and BT support sucks.
In addition to whether or not the PC brand provides driver updates or licenses for aptX, there are aptX types (aptX, aptX-LL, aptX-HD) that are "more thoroughly" supported and better implemented on Windows 11 ? Or on a practical level (aside from quality and latency) aren't there big differences between codecs?

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #48 of 61
AFAIK aptX HD has never been on Windows, you could get aptX before MS added it using Dells modded Intel drivers and it may also have been the case for aptX LL but I am not 100% on the latter and it actually requires a special antenna to work properly (talking internal not the one you screw on to it)

Right now, Windows officially support SBC/AAC/aptX and with a 3rd party Alt A2DP Driver you can get LDAC.

The Asus prime Z790-P on Asus site says WIFI 6 so it will be an Intel AX200 which is also BT 5.2.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #49 of 61
AFAIK aptX HD has never been on Windows, you could get aptX before MS added it using Dells modded Intel drivers and it may also have been the case for aptX LL but I am not 100% on the latter and it actually requires a special antenna to work properly (talking internal not the one you screw on to it)

Right now, Windows officially support SBC/AAC/aptX and with a 3rd party Alt A2DP Driver you can get LDAC.

The Asus prime Z790-P on Asus site says WIFI 6 so it will be an Intel AX200 which is also BT 5.2.
so the mobo doesn't support any aptX, windows 11 doesn't support aptX HD, it sure supports aptX, and could it support aptX LL? Did I get it right?

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #50 of 61
It has next nothing to do with the Mobo normally more the WIFI card which may be interrogated on these Mobo Chipsets (instead of an M2 card) and what it can support and if Intel and MS decide to add that support.

When you look at a BT cards spec and you see things like "A2DP" well that is what it can support but it needs to be added and normally this means paying a license fee.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #51 of 61
It has next nothing to do with the Mobo normally more the WIFI card which may be interrogated on these Mobo Chipsets (instead of an M2 card) and what it can support and if Intel and MS decide to add that support.

When you look at a BT cards spec and you see things like "A2DP" well that is what it can support but it needs to be added and normally this means paying a license fee.
Have Intel or Asus (motherboard manufacturer) decided to support aptX yet? From what I understand no, in fact I should take 1 of these flash drives (link at the end). And then add aptX on Windows 11 with a procedure right?
1) CREATIVE BT-W3 https://amzn.eu/d/46AuyMW
2) Sennheiser Dongle BTD 600
https://amzn.eu/d/1AT36p7
3) Avantree C81 https://amzn.eu/d/05Z8arr
4) Avantree DG80 https://amzn.eu/d/4RyueZW

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #53 of 61
I really do not understand what problems both of you are having, you are both overthinking it and giving yourself problems that do not exist.

Windows 10//11 does do aptX and I have stated so multiple time and posted screenshots in 2 threads.

Adding a USB Dongle with aptX is adding something you already have, you only need do this to get aptX LL/aptX HD and aptX Adaptive and Windows has nothing to do with the Bluetooth or Codec side of that USB Dongle as it sees it as a USB Soundcard and Windows does not see the earbuds as a device but some have Apps so you can at least see them in there.

The other thread on that topic has all the information on USB Dongles.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #54 of 61
I really do not understand what problems both of you are having, you are both overthinking it and giving yourself problems that do not exist.

Windows 10//11 does do aptX and I have stated so multiple time and posted screenshots in 2 threads.

Adding a USB Dongle with aptX is adding something you already have, you only need do this to get aptX LL/aptX HD and aptX Adaptive and Windows has nothing to do with the Bluetooth or Codec side of that USB Dongle as it sees it as a USB Soundcard and Windows does not see the earbuds as a device but some have Apps so you can at least see them in there.

so,if im using bt headphones that supports aptx LL on my laptop with win11 then automatically connected via aptx LL ?

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #55 of 61
With a USB Dongle that support aptX LL yes and again Windows has nothing to do with it, the Dongle does that internally and Windows just sees a soundcard and does not even know if its wireless or Bluetooth.

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #56 of 61

thanks, could you link the information about USB Dongles? and lastly, the headset does not support aptX do I have to use another transmitter like this: https://amzn.eu/d/hBkokfL besides the dongle?

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #59 of 61
I cannot keep answering the same questions over and over again.
I got it, I'm going to use a USB dongle + an aptX adaptive compatible bluetooth transmitter (since headphones aren't), and install the codec on windows. Just a question, but if the headphones are connected to the PC with aptX adaptive, which codec should I use on the phone? (oneplus north 2)

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #60 of 61
what bluetooth uses my laptop old 2020year acer predator helios 500 ? bt4.2 or bt5.0 or any older ? when im pairing my headphones focal bathys whitch has bt aptx LL codec with my laptop via bluetooth then use aptx LL codec or any older?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back