Win a SUSVARA
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #737 of 798
it is pity that contest ended this way...supposedly for a great product launch. Many here might now believe the company organizes contests initially targeting veteran reviewers with extensive audio rig. Sadly, Hifiman still did not learn from "ED6 critics". Next time, I would suggest Hifiman to announce any contest with clear cut details.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #738 of 798
Mm...like George, I'm also glad it was awarded to a true-blue Hifiman fan and not to someone who would probably not bother appreciating it and just sell it. Note to HFM: in the future, do it right and make an annoucement as a matter of respect to the hundreds of fellow headfiers who took the time and expended the effort to participate in your contest. It is basic courtesy, which is always universally appreciated.

I don't like this idea though. It means that winners for these contests basically can buy their way in if they already own a bunch of TOTL gear by that company.

Giveaways work when the people entering feel like they all have an equal chance of winning. Even when it's something like this, in theory everyone who made a post should have had an equal shot at it and the X factor was just how much the people who chose liked the post. For the winner to be the guy who mentioned that he's already given that company a few thousand dollars but also heard the thing in person, it casts a really bad shadow over further contests. I mean hell, dude's entire reason for winning was just that he already owned a bunch of HFM stuff and had heard the Susvara already.

Imagine if Sennheiser releases an HD900 and holds a similar contest, you'll get a bunch of people thinking "well crap, I don't have any of Senn's stuff, might as well not even enter..."

It's the damn Susvara. It's a $6,000 flagship. I'm pretty sure anyone who got it would love it to bits. If anything, wouldn't the guy who *already has several HFM flagships* be more likely to decide it's not enough of an upgrade and sell it off?

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #739 of 798
Congrats but ...... my feelings are that the contest is rigged

Anyway now i made my decision : Audeze LCD-Pro :L3000:

Yeah I was pondering the Sus myself for potential endgame, now I know to just look toward the LCD-4.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #740 of 798
With all due respect that is complete and total utter nonsense... China (East Asia) in fact DOES NOT work this way at all. Actually, quite the opposite when it comes to business and easy marketing! You made an official announcement and forgot to conclude it as accordingly...so you and your company professionally messed up... simple as that. Shame on you for trying to disparage Asian business culture as such. Very sad.
FYI TO ALL:

Please do not take this as "typical" and/or "normal" Chinese (East Asian) business culture... it is far from the truth.

I could say for a fact that as innocent as this mistake/oversight may have been (forgetting to conclude an official event, especially one with such a critical marketing aspect to it) in a legitimate Asian business environment serious reprimands would have certainly been given and a saving face official announcement and apology would have been issued and without the addition of a culturally disparaging and offensive excuse. Such weak 'excuse making' is not an acceptable, nor professional, form of communique over here and is frowned upon immensely.

Very disappointed and offended.

I agree, and this seems to be a so called "professionally messed up" like you said :).

Yeah I was pondering the Sus myself for potential endgame, now I know to just look toward the LCD-4.

This could be a reputation booster, but it could also back fire, and I think it professionally is doing so :D

There are a lot of grounds to debates and deny what is being done and how. But we are all adults here, and we know that we can spot soils in the sands

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #741 of 798
Mm..it was a competition, not a lottery. I also own several thousands worth of HFM products (I love the HE 1000 but I hate the HM 901S for its piss-poor UI and laughable scroll wheel). So do others. I read some earlier posts saying that the winner be picked by lottery. Sorry but I do not agree with changing the rules of the contest once it was announced.

Let us just be graceful and be happy for the winner. It is just a damn headphone.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #742 of 798
Oh well, gotta say I can't be bummed out about this. i got my HE500 (after a few years of saving up), liked it so much that I saved like crazy and sold my beloved Tralusent 1p2 (which I also saved like crazy for) and got the HE6. Not sure how much more of a fan I could have been. I guess it would have helped if I am loaded and just kept buying the entire line.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #743 of 798
Darn I didn't win? :triportsad: so I hope they commence the susvara canada tour so i can evaluate on my gear, produce a comprehensive review and give myself the gumption to pay retail for these :money_mouth::triumph::smile:

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #744 of 798
Mm..it was a competition, not a lottery. I also own several thousands worth of HFM products (I love the HE 1000 but I hate the HM 901S for its piss-poor UI and laughable scroll wheel). So do others. I read some earlier posts saying that the winner be picked by lottery. Sorry but I do not agree with changing the rules of the contest once it was announced.

Let us just be graceful and be happy for the winner. It is just a damn headphone.

Yes! Let's be happy someone won! Let's be happy that we all have our own headphones and let's be happy that technology is advancing!

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #745 of 798
Yes! Let's be happy someone won! Let's be happy that we all have our own headphones and let's be happy that technology is advancing!

You and Edwood are probably the only happy ones here which I´m glad about, but I´m not happy about the winner of a competition being anounced by himself and not the company almost three weeks after said competition has ended, this and further explanations given, leave one thinking that something is rotten in the state of HIFIMAN and that we never stood a chance. A wonderful and generous gesture has backfired due to poor handling so excuse me for not calling the Mariachis and having a party.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #746 of 798
You and Edwood are probably the only happy ones here which I´m glad about, but I´m not happy about the winner of a competition being anounced by himself and not the company almost three weeks after said competition has ended, this and further explanations given, leave one thinking that something is rotten in the state of HIFIMAN and that we never stood a chance. A wonderful and generous gesture has backfired due to poor handling so excuse me for not calling the Mariachis and having a party.

Personally, I just wish the winner had been someone *other* than an owner of their other flagships. That's the part that sits with me the worst. It discourages people from entering these contests in the future if they haven't already given the company a few thousand dollars. The fact that he'd also met and chatted with the owner of the contest at a CanJam certainly doesn't help matters. It makes me feel like if there's another one of these that I might as well not enter unless I've bought my way into their good graces.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #747 of 798
Mm...like George, I'm also glad it was awarded to a true-blue Hifiman fan and not to someone who would probably not bother appreciating it and just sell it. Note to HFM: in the future, do it right and make an annoucement as a matter of respect to the hundreds of fellow headfiers who took the time and expended the effort to participate in your contest. It is basic courtesy, which is always universally appreciated.

P.S. Once you are tired of it, PM me if you want to find a new home for it. And I never sell anything. Period. Lol!
Oh I quite agree we should have announced it in a more public fashion but that isn't how its seemingly been done and so no one made a point to do so and my being several time zones away form the office means I was not aware of it. While I cannot say that there is any especially good reason why I was not made aware.... I was not and thus, no announcement here.

However, I can assure that I have inquired as to how the winner was selected and the picker did not know who the answers were from so I find it slightly saddening that accusations of rigged have appeared. if anyone cares to look at the winners for the Twitter/Facebook give away we just did, one of the winners on twitter is an account with a sum total of 3 tweets.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #748 of 798
Oh I quite agree we should have announced it in a more public fashion but that isn't how its seemingly been done and so no one made a point to do so and my being several time zones away form the office means I was not aware of it. While I cannot say that there is any especially good reason why I was not made aware.... I was not and thus, no announcement here.

However, I can assure that I have inquired as to how the winner was selected and the picker did not know who the answers were from so I find it slightly saddening that accusations of rigged have appeared. if anyone cares to look at the winners for the Twitter/Facebook give away we just did, one of the winners on twitter is an account with a sum total of 3 tweets.

You should be more concerned with not having taken a moment to consider the optics of anything you're doing. I mean it's great that you did a random giveaway with your cheapest cans, but there's no denying how bizarre it looks that when you gave away a Susvara you picked the one guy who not only already owns your other flagships but personally met with the HFM team at a CanJam (and saying that the names were hidden on the entries doesn't help).

Now, if I were in charge of running something like this, my primary concern would be how it reflects upon the brand. This is not a good look. Even if your intentions were pure, it looks bad. Suspiciously bad.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #749 of 798

I don't believe such a huge giveaways like the SusVara with an MSRP of $6K was such a light thing to brush off easily and forgot about it. Either it smells fishy, or the SusVara value is not even close to $6K that you can just forget about it so easily....could be a combination of both

I, we, no one cares about how you pick your winner though, However.

Again, it was the time frame of 17 days exactly from the date that the event ended....that is no excuses for time zones differences or country differences.

I hope we all agree that people who can spend $6k on a product is smarter than this and not just goose or duck....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back