Win a SUSVARA
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #781 of 798
You're making me extremely curious to text a SR-009 sometime in the future!

Woah

I have only tested 4 things from HiFiMAN in person, so I can only speak about the build quality of those. I know that this is no indicator for the build quality of every single product in their line, but since those are more recent, I have high hopes that Susvara being recent will also offer an improved build quality. Since I didn't notice any problems with He-560 when I tested it, I am left with a good impression in general, but of course, this might be wrong from my side. I will do my best to properly test the build quality of everything I review and such, but so far HiFiMAN looks really good with their build quality. If I ever manage to test a Susvara itself, I promise to let you know how it goes and what are my feelings about its build quality. As for the products I tested already from HiFiMAN:

- HE560 - Excellent build quality with no apparent problems, but I tested it for only a few hours

(Sorry, no photos...)

- Megamini player - Incredible build quality for a DAP, everything clicks in place, no way I can complain about its build quality. It is a mini player and its software is minimalist, but the build quality is really good.

iU2ZG9Mh.jpg

- RE-800 - They are literally built like tanks and they are the most comfortable IEMs I ever placed in my ears, there is no space to complain in any way about them so far

GqumuTuh.jpg

- RE-2000 - The IEM body is a tank, literally. There are no apparent problems with it whatsoever, it looks and works amazingly well and it also looks like it can endure a whole before showing any sign of fatigue.

nEBofyph.jpg

Btw in my original post. I mention that the Susvara is super light and comfy. Right here anyone can easily come to the conclusion that the Susvara is a sure winner. Plus it looks unique. The He1000 was a unique looking headphone and the Susvara is just a copycat from that. So there's 3 plus for the Susvara right there. And this might convince a lot of outsiders and some members here.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #782 of 798
There is no doubt 009 is top of the game, especially with KG amps. I also has no doubt about Utopia being the best dynamic headphones, and lately a friend also has his hand on one of the most unique amp that can drive Utopia to it utmost performances, he also confirmed that Utopia is by far the best dynamic as of yet. Back on the SusVara, the build alone should make it shy away in front of the Utopia. Now, if anyone believe pricing has anything to do with a Headphones performances, be it. Once we are into things that cost thousands*.....Headphones alone is no longer your only priority. If you believe that you can have a 6K SusVara and plug it into your iPad to have Heavenly voices, then be it....wait, Utopia is actually great out of an iPad though....only that it reveals so much errors from the iPad itself, but DAP is better

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #783 of 798
The thing I always ask myself with these insanely priced cans is. Are they 600 to 1200% better in sound than what I already own.
I paid $525 for the current 560's that I have, and have already chosen it over more expensive cans.
Given the price of the Susvara. Would I get a 1200% increase in SQ , over the 560's, for 6K?
These prices just seem utterly ridiculous anymore. I also believe that diminishing returns kicks in hard once you pass the $1000 threshold.
I'm sure we'll see the Susvara being dumped on here at half price , one year from now. Just like all the other Hifiman cans.

Just one mans opinion here.
Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #784 of 798
The thing I always ask myself with these insanely priced cans is. Are they 600 to 1200% better in sound than what I already own.
I paid $525 for the current 560's that I have, and have already chosen it over more expensive cans.
Given the price of the Susvara. Would I get a 1200% increase in SQ , over the 560's, for 6K?
These prices just seem utterly ridiculous anymore. I also believe that diminishing returns kicks in hard once you pass the $1000 threshold.
I'm sure we'll see the Susvara being dumped on here at half price , one year from now. Just like all the other Hifiman cans.

Just one mans opinion here.
Cheers

Wrong question to ask. The increase isn't linear. Even $200 headphones aren't 200% as good as $100 headphones. You can't even quantify that. What does "twelve times better" mean?

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #785 of 798
Wrong question to ask. The increase isn't linear. Even $200 headphones aren't 200% as good as $100 headphones. You can't even quantify that. What does "twelve times better" mean?

Absolutely correct.

What even is better after all? What if more expensive doesn't result in more fun for everyone?

I'm enjoying both 600$ and 3000$ setups, signatures, and things that every setup does are too diverse for something to be quantifiable with simple percentages.

Maybe the resolution definition of things is quantifiable, but that doesn't tell the whole story, when there are hundreds of signatures out there.

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #786 of 798
Ok. Let me simplify my post for you. The Susvara will cost me 12 times more than what I paid for my 560's, and 6.5 times more if I bought them now at retail. That's a 650 to 1200% increase in cost.
So..... does that result in a 650% to 1200% increase in better sound?
I don't think "12 times better" exists. That's my point.

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #788 of 798
Eagerly awaiting the next $12K Hifiman flagship now, I know you can do it so I'll keep waiting
runner11.gif
I'm certain they'll be eager to have a giveaway contest when that happens!

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #789 of 798
Ok. Let me simplify my post for you. The Susvara will cost me 12 times more than what I paid for my 560's, and 6.5 times more if I bought them now at retail. That's a 650 to 1200% increase in cost.
So..... does that result in a 650% to 1200% increase in better sound?
I don't think "12 times better" exists. That's my point.

The problem is that just because it's not "12 times better" doesn't mean it's not worth the price. I'm not speaking in defense of the Sus itself, but I can't act like my LCD-X is 5.7x "better" than my HD650s, but I don't regret buying it in the slightest. An nVidia 1080 Ti costs nearly twice a 1070, but it absolutely doesn't benchmark twice as good.

As price goes up, the gap between products gets smaller. The main thing is that the further up the chain you go, the harder it is to get what those products offer. Once you're at TOTL level (Susvara/Utopia/LCD-4), you're not getting anything better. It's not going to be a linear relationship between price and quality increase, but it will be a quality increase that you can't get elsewhere.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #790 of 798
the analogy with video cards is not quite right here. Coz a consumer knows in advance how much performance he gets in benchrmarks compared xyz. Since there are 1000x objective benchmark tools for videocards. But in a headphone world performance gains compared to 2x, 3x price to the privious model even more diffuse. Since performance of headphones partially rely on measurements but mostly on reviewers, especially on those who have presence in head-fi community. So some companies "wink wink" can take advantage of this situation, give out their products to build a positive track in forums. So you know what i mean..., i think this giveaway has opened my eyes on the business side of my hobby.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #791 of 798
the analogy with video cards is not quite right here. Coz a consumer knows in advance how much performance he gets in benchrmarks compared xyz. Since there are 1000x objective benchmark tools for videocards. But in a headphone world performance gains compared to 2x, 3x price to the privious model even more diffuse. Since performance of headphones partially rely on measurements but mostly on reviewers, especially on those who has presence in head-fi community. So some companies "wink wink" can take advantage of this situation, give out their products to build a positive track in forums. So you know what i mean..., i think this giveaway has opened my eye on the business side of my hobby.

You have to consider the following though: A good reviewer gets more than one product for review, sometimes a dozen, most of times from a dozen different companies. You simply can't have a different attitude between companies, in the end good reviewers are impartial to the products they test, you simply respect everyone the same and bring a honest review to your pubic as a reviewer. FiiO X5-3 is a smooth DAP, you won't see me saying that it is not... (I don't like smooth signatures)

With videocards, you get a benchmark, but the actual performance in your system depends on the Nvidia driver used, other software installed, monitor, OS, game version, whether you have a certain CPU/RAM, ambient temperature if you live in a hot climate, everything in the end will be like this, the world is complex.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #792 of 798
You have to consider the following though: A good reviewer gets more than one product for review, sometimes a dozen, most of times from a dozen different companies. You simply can't have a different attitude between companies, in the end good reviewers are impartial to the products they test, you simply respect everyone the same and bring a honest review to your pubic as a reviewer. FiiO X5-3 is a smooth DAP, you won't see me saying that it is not... (I don't like smooth signatures)

With videocards, you get a benchmark, but the actual performance in your system depends on the Nvidia driver used, other software installed, monitor, OS, game version, whether you have a certain CPU/RAM, ambient temperature if you live in a hot climate, everything in the end will be like this, the world is complex.

Thumbs up for good reviewers! Many here valunteer themselves to review for free because they enjoy it and they try hard to put into words all the nuances they hear/notice. The problem is in the end review will be based on reviewers ear, therefore he/she can state almost anything. However, with videocards as you noticed there are many variables that reviewer must take into consideration, which leaves almost no room for hyperboles.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #793 of 798
Here is an honest quick review hit: (Try my best to be fair)

Susvara retail price at $6000

Beautiful to look at and hold. A very light weight and soft cushion earpads that will easily wrap around anyone's ears. The comfort level is top notch. The clamping force just perfect. The adjustment to the headband is one of the easiest to adjust with no problems. The cables it provide are light weight and decent entry level that will get the job done.
The sound of the headphone is on the warmer side. With great detail and balanced all around. It can be consider a all rounder warm experience with a punch.
The highlight is differently the punchiness or in other words the impactful presences that it release.
The bass and mids are there and deep.
The headphone needs a average to above amp to open it's full potential abilities.

Even with all the great aspects of the headphone there are considerable downsides to the headphone.
1. The design is couple of years old.
2. Cables are average. For a premium item like this, it sure could of had an impressive cable.
3. Quality insurance for each headphone should of being looked carefully. Maybe a solvent oil lubricant for each headphone for its adjusters.
4. Extra pads, headband, and spare parts like screws and oil should of been included.
5. 6 year warranty needed

Overall, 8/10

Cheers

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #794 of 798
the analogy with video cards is not quite right here. Coz a consumer knows in advance how much performance he gets in benchrmarks compared xyz. Since there are 1000x objective benchmark tools for videocards. But in a headphone world performance gains compared to 2x, 3x price to the privious model even more diffuse. Since performance of headphones partially rely on measurements but mostly on reviewers, especially on those who have presence in head-fi community. So some companies "wink wink" can take advantage of this situation, give out their products to build a positive track in forums. So you know what i mean..., i think this giveaway has opened my eyes on the business side of my hobby.

You just missed my point entirely, but okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back