Willsenton R300 single ended 300B integrated
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #46 of 57
Seems to be no real answer on the headphone output ? is it using the tubes for the output sound ? if not this is deal breaker for me, anybody plugged some hd 650s in this bad boy ?

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 57
You can always build a little speaker headphone adapter box you just plug your speaker wires into the box the box has a volume knob and a headphone jack and you can listen to the headphones out by if this will not drive good headphones through the existing headphone jack.

May 3, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #52 of 57
head fi fail.... no comments about headphones :)
Has anyone seen any power figures for the headphone output at various impedances?

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #54 of 57
Hello. I'm sorry, but I don't have this information about the headphone input.

I'm totally in love with this Wilsenton R300 amplifier on the speakers, but I have to say that I don't like the headphone input at all, which I find low quality.

I find the sound in my AKG K701 headphones dull and lifeless. In my opinion, this is a purchase to be considered primarily for speaker listening, but not for its headphone input.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #56 of 57
I wonder if the R300's headphone output is just better suited to higher-impedance headphones than the AKG K701
According to the Amazon listing, here are the specs on the headphone output:
"Headphone output for impedance: 8 ohms-32 ohms"

Usually, higher impedance headphones will have a lot less available power from an amp than 32 ohm headphones, but there may be other issues on this particular amp besides just power output. The speaker outputs on this amp have different connectors for , 8, or 16 ohm speakers.

Here is a schematic for building a headphone adapter box to attach to tube amp speaker outputs:
https://www.skunkiedesigns.com/headphone

She also has a YouTube channel that deals mostly with tube amps.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #57 of 57
Just to report the outcome of my tube rolling on this amp.

I using SMSL M400--R300--Linton. The stock tube of 6SL7 and 6SN7 seem to be both Stovek. They are just well, I wouldn't say that bad, I actually quite like their tonality, dynamic wise they are not bad either, but, the resolution details are just not there, the veil is obvious, and also there's the anoiying glare in the mid-upper frequency, so in my opinion they need to be changed.

For 6SL7, I tried JJ, Linlai E6sl7, slyvania 6SL7wgt, RCA 5691. Slyvania wins for me, nice airy treble yet not harsh at all, that's the most impressive quality I found in slyvania, while it's very well balanced as well, bass is tight yet not any less than the stovek stock tube. RCA 5691 is somthing else here, well, I don't like it but I think if with a different speaker (Linton is very dark and relax), it might be a good choice, it just doesn't suit my Linton. RCA 5691 is rolled off in the topend, with thick (romantic?) and kind of the tuby sound from mid all the way to the bass, but somehow the upper mid is a bit rough tho, anyway, didn't do well in my system. JJ is just too bright and harsh and glare is even worse than the Stovek stock tube, it's so bad I didn't even have the patient to burn-in and I don't think a burn in would take away that brightness anyway. Linlai E6sl7 is, well, I don't have much to say, it's not bad but nothing stands out for me either, details and everthing is there, but, it's kinf of a boring sound for me.

For 6SN7, I tried Linlai E6sn7, PSvane CV181 T2, slyvania 1952 6sn7 (the "bad boys", proper 3 holes version). Again, Linlai E6sn7 is a boring sound for me, did nothing wrong but nothing right either. slyvania "bad boys", evry interesting, very strong bass!!! if it's not becacuse Linton doesn't lack bass I would actually like it, but it’s too much, a bit overwhelming for me and not balanced. my favourite is PSvane CV181T2, it's such a fun tube, everything is more pronouced and great dynamic and details, very forward sound that suits my Linton well.

For 300B, I tried ````nothing, I don’t think swapping a pair of my kidneys with any decent 300B would be something to die for
So you are using the linton wharfedale with the willsenton r300? I have the willsenton r300 and upgraded the tubes as you recommended ,6sn7. Thanks to you and all the good advices on this forum I'm now very happy with the sound.
I want to change the speakers i have tho, it's the klipch herisey IIi because they are to bright.
If you don't mind, can you say something about how the Linton is working with the r300 for you?
My room is medium in size, maybe that would work to my advantage with the Linton r300 combo?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back