Willsenton R300 single ended 300B integrated
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #32 of 57
Just to report the outcome of my tube rolling on this amp.

I using SMSL M400--R300--Linton. The stock tube of 6SL7 and 6SN7 seem to be both Stovek. They are just well, I wouldn't say that bad, I actually quite like their tonality, dynamic wise they are not bad either, but, the resolution details are just not there, the veil is obvious, and also there's the anoiying glare in the mid-upper frequency, so in my opinion they need to be changed.

For 6SL7, I tried JJ, Linlai E6sl7, slyvania 6SL7wgt, RCA 5691. Slyvania wins for me, nice airy treble yet not harsh at all, that's the most impressive quality I found in slyvania, while it's very well balanced as well, bass is tight yet not any less than the stovek stock tube. RCA 5691 is somthing else here, well, I don't like it but I think if with a different speaker (Linton is very dark and relax), it might be a good choice, it just doesn't suit my Linton. RCA 5691 is rolled off in the topend, with thick (romantic?) and kind of the tuby sound from mid all the way to the bass, but somehow the upper mid is a bit rough tho, anyway, didn't do well in my system. JJ is just too bright and harsh and glare is even worse than the Stovek stock tube, it's so bad I didn't even have the patient to burn-in and I don't think a burn in would take away that brightness anyway. Linlai E6sl7 is, well, I don't have much to say, it's not bad but nothing stands out for me either, details and everthing is there, but, it's kinf of a boring sound for me.

For 6SN7, I tried Linlai E6sn7, PSvane CV181 T2, slyvania 1952 6sn7 (the "bad boys", proper 3 holes version). Again, Linlai E6sn7 is a boring sound for me, did nothing wrong but nothing right either. slyvania "bad boys", evry interesting, very strong bass!!! if it's not becacuse Linton doesn't lack bass I would actually like it, but it’s too much, a bit overwhelming for me and not balanced. my favourite is PSvane CV181T2, it's such a fun tube, everything is more pronouced and great dynamic and details, very forward sound that suits my Linton well.

For 300B, I tried ````nothing, I don’t think swapping a pair of my kidneys with any decent 300B would be something to die for

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #33 of 57
What is the output impedance of the R300 headphone output?
Couldn’t find that info, I tried it with my HD600, pretty good, doesn’t lack bass whatsoever, a good sign cause usually if the amp is lacking power the HD600 would sound like there’s no bass. but the new version of HD600 is not particularly hard to drive so I don’t know how it performs on other harder to drive headphone. The only thing I know is that, around 9 o’clock on the volume nob drives the HD600 loud enough for me, over 10 o’clock is way too loud

Jan 1, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #36 of 57
Good evening and happy new year 2023 to you!

Concerning the comparison with the Elekit TU-8900, in terms of components, especially with the Lundahl output transformers, the Elekit is delivered with more high-end components. But the price is also much higher.

I personally hesitated a lot between the Elekit TU-8900 and the Willsenton R300, they are very different ways of reproducing sound, almost opposite.

The Elekit does not sound like a tube amplifier, it is not warm like the Willsenton. It is somewhere between a neutral tube amplifier and a transistor amplifier.

Personally, I much prefer an amplifier with a warm and sweet "tube" midrange. It is on this level I think that one must choose between these two excellent amplifiers.

Concerning the 6SL7 tubes, after listening and still to keep this sweetness, I prefer the TAD NOS 6SL7 tubes to the LINLAI E-6SL7 tubes, too analytical for me.

Excellent evening to you all.

PS. Thomas' test of the Willsenton on Youtube is excellent! You will understand that it is indeed according to your tastes on the way to reproduce the music that you must choose between the Willsenton and other 300B amplifiers.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #41 of 57
Hi all, I have had my Willsenton R300 for several months now. I love it. However, I am having an issue where the 6SL7 tube has a very persistent high-pitched rattling sound when the amp is warmed up. I can put my ear right next to the tube and it sounds like it's coming from the tube itself. The kicker is that I have two other 6SL7 tubes I can swap out from the factory tube and it happens with all 3 tubes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It always does it after warm-up, and happens about 95% of the time. I listen near field and so I have to back away about 5 or 6 feet, which is my favorite listening position anyway, to not hear it or just barely hear it. However, when I'm working at my desk and within just a few feet, I can always hear it.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot the issue. The bias is set perfectly.

Thanks for any help. I can post audio of it if that would help.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #42 of 57
Hello.

I can only testify that my Willsenton R300 has not made any noise since I have owned it. It is perfectly silent and this is one of its qualities, apart from its enchanting musicality. This malfunction is strange. I think it would be wise to have it checked by the Willsenton service department or a competent technician near you (or take it to Skunkie Designs Electronics; see on YouTube) to check the voltage that is going to this 6SL7 tube.

It may be a failed component or a failed solder on one of the components.

I know that shipping this amplifier is complicated and expensive because it is heavy and fragile, but I think it would be better than risking a possible degradation later and more serious.

The bias adjustment is only for the two 300B power tubes and not for the other tubes.

Nice day to you all.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #43 of 57
Great advice from Harmonique! Nothing is perfect bound to get a few duds! Luck of the draw! Best to get it looked at since you already installed new tubes. But if you want to be really sure you could swap the rectifier and the 6SN7 too unless you physically hear sound coming from just one tube. Good luck!

Feb 10, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #44 of 57
Couldn’t find that info, I tried it with my HD600, pretty good, doesn’t lack bass whatsoever, a good sign cause usually if the amp is lacking power the HD600 would sound like there’s no bass. but the new version of HD600 is not particularly hard to drive so I don’t know how it performs on other harder to drive headphone. The only thing I know is that, around 9 o’clock on the volume nob drives the HD600 loud enough for me, over 10 o’clock is way too loud

Do the speaker outputs turn off when a headphone is plugged in?

Feb 12, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #45 of 57
Good evening and happy new year 2023 to you!

Concerning the comparison with the Elekit TU-8900, in terms of components, especially with the Lundahl output transformers, the Elekit is delivered with more high-end components. But the price is also much higher.

I personally hesitated a lot between the Elekit TU-8900 and the Willsenton R300, they are very different ways of reproducing sound, almost opposite.

The Elekit does not sound like a tube amplifier, it is not warm like the Willsenton. It is somewhere between a neutral tube amplifier and a transistor amplifier.

Personally, I much prefer an amplifier with a warm and sweet "tube" midrange. It is on this level I think that one must choose between these two excellent amplifiers.

Concerning the 6SL7 tubes, after listening and still to keep this sweetness, I prefer the TAD NOS 6SL7 tubes to the LINLAI E-6SL7 tubes, too analytical for me.

Excellent evening to you all.

PS. Thomas' test of the Willsenton on Youtube is excellent! You will understand that it is indeed according to your tastes on the way to reproduce the music that you must choose between the Willsenton and other 300B amplifiers.
For sure warm is better! Thanks for sharing your experience with both amps!😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back