Willsenton R300 single ended 300B integrated
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 57
Hello.

Tonight the Willsenton is really starting to open up. A new amplifier, new tubes and a new modulation cable, that's a lot and takes a little time.

But I felt an indefinable uneasiness ... Until I placed the banana plug of the speaker cable from the 4 ohm terminal to the 8 ohm terminal and then everything fell into place. The change between the two is huge (The TOTEM Sttaf have an impedance of 6 ohms)!

Stacey Kent's voice, the presence of each instrument, the richness of the timbres, the absence of sibilants on the voices and an image that becomes wider and deeper.

It is bewitching, soft and detailed at the same time, a little warm, very rich in harmonics, but without excess! The voices are sublime... Stacey kent, Gundula Janowitz in the last four Lieder of R. Strauss...

This amplifier could be the last one (yes, we say that and then ... But what more can you ask for?

The change of cable was self-evident. My dear Van Den Hul First Ultimate was not suitable at all, too soft, with the midrange slightly in evidence, it works wonders with transistor electronics, but not here. I mounted a NEOTECH NEI-3001 MKIII cable with RCA KLEI PURE22 HARMONY connectors and the result is magnificent! great transparency, very rich in harmonics, natural, pure tones, never hard nor pressed.

Here, I am waiting for the LINLAI E-6SL7 Elite Series, which an owner of this amplifier assures that it is the tube which brings the greatest improvement of the musical reproduction with the 6SN7 PSVANE black-Treasure CV184-Z..

Wait and see...

1667939016033.jpg
1667939016030.jpg

Nov 19, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #18 of 57
Hello.

Here is the answer to your question found on a French forum (I wanted to be sure of my answer to your question):

"the Chinese CV181 (Shuguang / Psvane) is a 6SN7 with a CV181 look ... Same heating current, same gain and oval plates."

The Shuguang Treasure CV181 have been in place on the Willsenton for two weeks and everything is going very well! I think they are really wonderful.

The tube SHUGUANG / PSVANE (a priori, they are the same) CV181Z Treasure are intended for those who, like me, appreciate precisely the balance a little warm and silky music reproduction. This tube brings a balance between delicacy and analysis (on an acoustic guitar, it's a treat!) and pure, natural voices. Those of us who would like more definition will prefer the LINLAI E-6SN7 or the PSVANE CV181-TII. I tested the LINLAI Elite E-6SN7, but I really prefer the Black treasure. A matter of taste and synergy with the audio system of each.

I replaced the original 6SL7 as soon as it arrived, whose pins were in a strange state... By a 6SL7 TAD NOS. The listening results are good. Would the winning ticket be a LINLAI Elite E-6SL7 with the sHUGUAND Treasure? Maybe. Only listening will tell, if I ever get them as they are apparently on back order at LINLAI. I ordered a pair from BTB Germany (I'm in France). BTB and I gave ourselves two months of waiting.

Wait and see!

Have a good weekend !

Jean-Louis.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 57
Hello.

Here is the answer to your question found on a French forum (I wanted to be sure of my answer to your question):

"the Chinese CV181 (Shuguang / Psvane) is a 6SN7 with a CV181 look ... Same heating current, same gain and oval plates."

The Shuguang Treasure CV181 have been in place on the Willsenton for two weeks and everything is going very well! I think they are really wonderful.

The tube SHUGUANG / PSVANE (a priori, they are the same) CV181Z Treasure are intended for those who, like me, appreciate precisely the balance a little warm and silky music reproduction. This tube brings a balance between delicacy and analysis (on an acoustic guitar, it's a treat!) and pure, natural voices. Those of us who would like more definition will prefer the LINLAI E-6SN7 or the PSVANE CV181-TII. I tested the LINLAI Elite E-6SN7, but I really prefer the Black treasure. A matter of taste and synergy with the audio system of each.

I replaced the original 6SL7 as soon as it arrived, whose pins were in a strange state... By a 6SL7 TAD NOS. The listening results are good. Would the winning ticket be a LINLAI Elite E-6SL7 with the sHUGUAND Treasure? Maybe. Only listening will tell, if I ever get them as they are apparently on back order at LINLAI. I ordered a pair from BTB Germany (I'm in France). BTB and I gave ourselves two months of waiting.

Wait and see!

Have a good weekend !

Jean-Louis.
Ok thanks! I am curious how Willsenton compares to the Cayin 300b integrated? The price of Willsenton is definitely more palatable!🙂

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #20 of 57
OK merci! Je suis curieux de savoir comment Willsenton se compare au Cayin 300b intégré ? Le prix de Willsenton est nettement plus acceptable !🙂
Hello.

Here is a test of the Cayin 300B made in Germany:

https://www.lowbeats.de/test-roehrenverstaerker-cayin-cs-300a-eintakt-triode-mit-acht-watt/

Looking at the pictures of the inside of the Cayin and Willsenton amplifiers is instructive.

I had read that on another forum but it seems that Willsenton manufactures its amps in the same factory as Cayin. There are many similarities. But there are also differences. We see definitely more components in Cayin and maybe, some higher end components. The Cayin is also 6 pounds heavier, probably with slightly larger transformers.

The big question is: does all this justify paying $2,500 more? Is the difference in listening experience proportional to the difference in price of these two excellent amplifiers? That's a question everyone needs to answer.

For my part, I am totally satisfied with the Willsenton and its price is just incredible! It comes very close to the build quality of the Cayin, for a much more affordable price.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 57
Hello.

Here is a test of the Cayin 300B made in Germany:

https://www.lowbeats.de/test-roehrenverstaerker-cayin-cs-300a-eintakt-triode-mit-acht-watt/

Looking at the pictures of the inside of the Cayin and Willsenton amplifiers is instructive.

I had read that on another forum but it seems that Willsenton makes its amplifiers in the same factory as Cayin. There are many similarities. But there are also differences. We see clearly more components at Cayin and perhaps, some components more high-end. The Cayin also has a weight of 6 pounds more, probably transformers a little more imposing.

The big question is: Does all this justify paying $2500 more? Is the difference in listening experience proportional to the difference in price of these two excellent amplifiers? That's a question for everyone to answer.

For my part, the Willsenton totally satisfies me and its price is just incredible! It comes very close to the quality of construction of the Cayin, for a much more affordable price.
Yes, I would with you that is the extra cost warranted. Btw China HiFi is coming out with a R300 Premium. Do you know what are the changes?

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #24 of 57
Anyone tried it with headphones? Which ones, any feedback? I saw on the specs it is for 8 to 32 Ohms, a bit weird. Too bad Mr. Steeve Huff is not a headphone lover, would have loved to read his feedback on it compared to other amps.

Many thanks.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #25 of 57
Good evening.

I haven't tested headphone listening yet because I rarely use it and my headphones are modest. It's an AKG K701. I'll do a review on this point here.

It will take a few days because I have little time at the moment.

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards to all of you!

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 57
Good evening.

I haven't tested headphone listening yet because I rarely use it and my headphones are modest. It's an AKG K701. I'll do a review on this point here.

It will take a few days because I have little time at the moment.

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards to all of you!
thanks, I just read on the Willsenton R8 thread that the headphone out is not tube driven, it's a simple transistor out and people use an adapter to plug their headphone to the speaker out because the headphone out is not worth it. I would assume the R300 is probably the same design, they are almost the same price.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 57
Yes, probably. This was a strong point of my old Elekit TU-8200DX whose headphone output was well connected to the tubes.

Here, like you, I expect more of an integrated circuit that is probably of less audiophile interest.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 57
I modded BoyuuRange A50 but now looking at R300. A50 I use for headphones only and for EDM Woo Audio WA5 LE was too expensive to buy again. I'm happy with extra $100 thrown at A50. Down below is A50 with cascode on driver and bias is cool as led light up during driver bias. Basically I don't want to pay ridiculous prices.
I'm hoping no need to change caps in the R300.

PXL_20221125_222949546.jpg

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #30 of 57
I modded BoyuuRange A50 but now looking at R300. A50 I use for headphones only and for EDM Woo Audio WA5 LE was too expensive to buy again. I'm happy with extra $100 thrown at A50. Down below is A50 with cascode on driver and bias is cool as led light up during driver bias. Basically I don't want to pay ridiculous prices.
I'm hoping no need to change caps in the R300.

PXL_20221125_222949546.jpg
Please report back and let us know the differences!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back